New seat arrived today.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
After several weeks of waiting, my Russell seat finally arrived. I have a TS and love it for rides under a few hours, but on really long trips I felt I needed a wider, more supportive seat. I talked with Russell seats and decided it is what I needed.

Many of you guys will think it is ugly.... But I think the quality of it is truly impressive, and I think the improved comfort will more than make up for the debatable look of the wider seat. I will post a couple pictures after I get it installed on the bike when I get home.

6ube6yhu.jpg

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD

gottherim4

Reaction score
Visit site
my butt says :cheer:

When I have done longer rides I can tell a wider seat would be great. Looks awesome.

Nice camera picture quality too.

Reaction score
Visit site
I hope it works out for you. Did they just recently start making a seat for this bike?
It is not listed among their yamaha page.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
They will make a seat for any bike. It is custom made for each order, not pulled off a shelf. This is their "sport" model. It doesn't have a spring inside, but it uses the same foam design. Keeps it a little smaller than the full size seat.

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be interested to hear your feedback after you put some mileage on the seat. I debated this one vs. the Corbin for a long time, but in the end couldn't cough up the extra money over a used Corbin, or swallow my pride enough to deal with the looks. The more I ride though, the less I care about looks and more I want the right tool for the job. So if this seat would make LD riding significantly more comfortable, I'll add it to my list of needed upgrades.

The Corbin was fine for my last long ride of 4000 miles in 6 days. We'll see how it feels after 7000 miles in 9 days next month.

I hope it works out for you. Did they just recently start making a seat for this bike?
It is not listed among their yamaha page.

I shopped last summer and they had the info on their website, but it's not on the Yamaha page.

If you go to their reference page, you can find the FZ6 listed:
Custom Motorcycle Seats and Touring Saddles - "Day-Long" Touring Saddles and Motorcycle Seats by Russell Cycle Products

And there are some pictures of an FZ6 on the sport page:
Custom Motorcycle Seats and Touring Saddles - "Day-Long" Touring Saddles and Motorcycle Seats by Russell Cycle Products

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
Got it installed on the bike a few minutes ago. I think it looks great and feels great. It doesn't feel as big as it looks. The wings do support a fair amount of weight and I hope they do not get any softer aster being flexed add I shift weight and get on and off the bike. I an reasonably confident that it will last a long time, because the overall quality is GREAT. Everyone I talked to with Russell was extremely helpful and friendly (including the guy who built my seat and another builder).

y2a6edap.jpg

a7y6e6uq.jpg

y7ama4yz.jpg

umury9et.jpg

y5e8yjy3.jpg

So far I can't say enough good things about Russell, I can't wait to get it on the road and really test it out!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I have to say I don't think it's the best looking seat (saddle) for the FZ6 but sure would love to have one.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
Including shipping it was $380. I think some other seats look more exciting, but this has a well engineered look to it. I think that there is a certain beauty to some things designed with form following function.

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
I think if the bike is kitted up with gear for touring the seat will look the part. Looks like it'd be nice to sit on too.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the photos and review. I am a skinny guy and love my TS seat and the way it fit's me. Everyone's behind is a bit different as is riding styles.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: New seat arrived today.

I think if the bike is kitted up with gear for touring the seat will look the part. Looks like it'd be nice to sit on too.

I put some of my luggage on to see what that looks like. I also have some soft saddle bags that I use for longer rides.

8ute2yvu.jpg

2ary6yqy.jpg

Ruggybuggy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey your not that far from me. I'm on Lake of the Woods north side (Kenora). Nice sturgeon!

As far as the seat goes who cares what it looks like and long as it works. You can't see it when your sitting on it! :D

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I went fishing a couple years ago about a hour north of kenora. Beautiful area up there!

gerardfry

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, nice looking seat!!! Just recently purchased an 05 FZ6 with 5k on the clock. Looking to convert it for sport touring duty as it doesnt look like I can afford to buy the FJR1300 I've been wanting. LOL Regardless the FZ6 seems to be a very capable machine and I am looking very forward riding it.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The Russell "Day Long" seats are pretty popular over on my BMW forum, but there is the issue with their looks over there too. :D
The TS seat on my FZ was okay for me on longer trips, it was my legs that were limiting my range; a 37" inseam is just a bit tight on ol' Fizzer. :rolleyes:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like it will be very comfortable for long rides. Width is what is all about as it adds more support. Unlike the triangular log that the bike comes with.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
It was very comfortable for a 2000 mile, 5 day ride i took last summer. I can honestly ride until I'm tired or bored. Comfort is not an issue at all.

My cousin was riding a GS1200 on that trip, and he needed to trade bikes with me to give his butt a break a few times.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 24810

Including shipping it was $380. I think some other seats look more exciting, but this has a well engineered look to it. I think that there is a certain beauty to some things designed with form following function.

How was it so cheap? I see over 400 before shipping on these?