new rim old bearing ??

cspan

Reaction score
Visit site
So i need some advice I bought a new bike to me 2008 fz6 2100 miles. Only real issue is that it has a bent rear rim, so i bought a used one off ebay and the wheel bearings are shot on it. My question is would it be ok to take the old bearings out of the org. wheel install in the new ones ??? Thanks

No matter using old bearings. Whell bearings are not so gentle parts.
With 2100 miles, they should be like new condition.

I'm glad we all have opinions...
Here's mine - if you're going to remove them, why gamble w/old bearing? For $50-60 you can install new ones.

Go w/new wheel bearing :thumbup:

Last edited:
Either way extreme care is needed to keep this one clean. Even a new bearing will have a short life if debris makes its way into the bearing during any form of maintenance.

attachment.php

I would opt for new and get everything real clean including the press, driver, hammer, ah tools of choice to reduce the risk of contamination. On the sealed bearing only drive it from the outer edge or it will fail with a short life.

For ball bearings, it's almost always impossible to get them out without damaging them. You never want to hit across the balls. :spank: If you're pressing into a shell (like the wheel) you only want to put pressure on the outer race. If you're pressing onto a shaft, you only want to put pressure on the inner race. Since there's usually a ledge for bearings to register on, that means you probably can't remove the bearing without violating those rules and (severely) risking screwing up the bearing.

If you want to be cheap, get the bearing numbers off the shields, call up your local Napa and ask them to cross them, they sometimes have good prices on sealed bearings. Then again as I found buying bearings & seals for a Jetski, sometimes discount OEM is cheaper.

+1 on replacing them.

I think your forgetting something hit that rim HARD to bend it... That energy was transferred to the bearings too (and to a lesser amount, the rest of the bike)...

Their cheap enough and not worth having them fail while on the road.

Besides possibly getting stuck, you don't want to throw a chain thru the cases, or worse yet, wreck the bike when/if the wheel locks up...:thumbup:

Back