New Rider, New Bike, Super Excited!

MDStar

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say what's up. Im a brand new rider, living in DC. Came across this site when looking up my bike and now that I got, thought I join up. When I say Im a Newb, im a Newb, but im anxious to learn what my ride can do and what i can do to it. And of course be safe during it all. Cya all on the road.

MDStar

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to the forum!
Main thing is ride like you mean it! That means All the protective gear first. Then start your bike mods. :BLAA:
You'll find a lot of helpful people here on the forum and probably most of all the info you need on this bike.

Have you done a MSF course? That's also a good place to start.
The FZ6 is an awesome bike! You will enjoy it's dynamic capabilities. :rockon:
Great looking bike!

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: Welcome to the forum. Take it easy and you'll be ok. There are great instructors and great books to learn from. Just remember that you are invisible, not invincible. It's a great bike and a great family here, you're in for a lot of fun.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the community and to the new bike! It's a great bike for all levels of riders. Just remember to start slow, learn each time you ride, wear all the gear each time you ride, and never ride someone else's pace. Motorcycling is an ongoing learning experience, gradually getting better and better over the course of years, not months or weeks.

Like Motogiro suggested, if you haven't taken the MSF course, please do. They'll get the basics down for you and teach you some really good road awareness. They then also have a more advanced course for when you're ready to get the finer tuning in for really taking advantage of what your bike is capable of.:welcome:

pulverizer

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

I am also in DC area and have a 2007. Enjoy your new bike! Luckily there are some good roads not too far outside of DC to ride.

sjryser

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! ATGATT as you'll find out means all the gear all the time...live by it. I had an "off" early on in my riding about three years ago and was able too walk away without a scratch!

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

Like others have said, time to get some gear before you do anything! Yeah, it seems expensive now, but get some good gear, and you'll have it for years to come, and should you ever get in an accident, it will more than pay for itself. Always better to have it and not need, rather than not have it and wish you had it!

Also, take your time while learning. Don't rush past your comfort zone, and don't get discouraged if it takes a while to learn certain things. Patience is key to not going down! There's no rush! I've been riding for over two years now, and I suck at cornering. But each week I'm getting a little better. Always ride within your abilities. For example, if you'd rather take that corner at 35mph instead of 45, then by all means, take it at 35! Like rsw81 said, don't try to pace the fast dudes right away.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
You bought a great model bike and you found a board of great people. Enjoy and safe riding!

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling. I am in Richmond and have done 10's of thousands of miles on the roads all over the Commonwealth. I will echo previous comments...2 biggest things A. Protective Riding Gear, B. Riders Safety Course. They are both worth their weight in gold. The old saying goes "there are two kinds of motorcyclists...those that have wrecked, and those that are going to". Suit up! It's worth it.

Two things to check out....Make your way to VIR (Viginia International Raceway) in August for the AMA races. You can get info. on their website. After you ride for a bit and build up the experience, check this place out on this link....I did it two weeks ago and put this video together. Enjoy! Best of Luck and be safe!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbpc3PTf2Qo]YouTube - Deals Gap - Tail Of The Dragon[/ame]

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome::welcome::welcome:
I am also in the DC area. We should all get together and meet up sometime:BLAA:

MDStar

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for such a warm welcome. I never expected this site to be as active as it is. Thats great!. In regards to the gear, I picked up the helmet, gloves and jacket, all the day i baught the bike. As for the class, Im enrolled at the one at PG community college next weekend. So hopefully im taking the proper steps before I get all gun ho and get on the road.

Thanks again and Im looking forward to chatting with you all on a consistant basis.

Ransom - I see you profile says Germantown, I live in DC but grew up in Gaithersburg. I actually bought my bike from Battley's (im sure you know the spot). Anyway, as soon as I get comfortable, we can certainly meet up for a ride.

MDStar