New Rider Needs Help

RGuinn829

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey FZ6 Peps,

I got a 2008 FZ6 and made a rookie bone head mistake i checked the oil on the side stand and it was showing low so i added extra.

-I was about half a bottle over

-I Pulled the plug and drained about the amount of oil it now shows at the max line.

-My Issues is that today after the oil pulled i have the bike in Neutral showing it to a Friend and when I started it I heard some popping for the tail pipe

-In N if i rave up to 6 and left go I Hear a little popping, Is this normal or do I need to Just do a oil change. To add also the oil i added to make up for taking to much out was New oil

Jmnielsen

Reaction score
Visit site
I am guessing the popping is it just backfiring which I don't believe has anything to do with the oil.

If you are worried about it, just change the oil. It's cheap and takes ten minutes.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any modification on the bike? Exhaust? Air filter?
One thing I'm pretty sure of.. pop on roll-off shouldn't have anything to do with oil level.

RGuinn829

Reaction score
Visit site
Any modification on the bike? Exhaust? Air filter?
One thing I'm pretty sure of.. pop on roll-off shouldn't have anything to do with oil level.

Only mod I have done is the dual light mod. Currently no other mods

Never heard the pop till now.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you may be talking about de acceleration popping which is different than back firing. Backfiring is generally through the intake side of the motor and denotes a more serious problem. A lot of bikes do have air injection system that will ad O2 to the exhaust gasses and this can cause that sound when you let off the accelerator. Run some Sea Foam cleaner through your injectors.

RGuinn829

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you may be talking about de acceleration popping which is different than back firing. Backfiring is generally through the intake side of the motor and denotes a more serious problem. A lot of bikes do have air injection system that will ad O2 to the exhaust gasses and this can cause that sound when you let off the accelerator. Run some Sea Foam cleaner through your injectors.

And I am unsure how I run the cleaner though it but that is what sound to be happening.

RGuinn829

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to autozone and they did not have it. Where can I get some I can order It online but wanted to add it this weekend.

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Another question for the OP:

When you were doing this, it sounds like you had freshly started the bike up for your friend with bike in neutral and revved it up to 6k and let it go. Is this accurate? If so, the engine would have been cold, thus running richer than usual and does this popping sound more often. I don't know how automotively inclined you are, but please be aware this is not great for the engine (revving it in neutral while engine cold).

RGuinn829

Reaction score
Visit site
I had just got there the engine was not cold. I had just drove 1.9 miles then parked when a friend saw me and I showed him the bike. The bike was only off for about 60 sec.

Thanks I'll check Walmart