New Rider - 300 miles since test

Eviepeevie

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, New Rider here, passed my UK Bike test August last year on ER500, did about 100 miles on a Yamaha RXS100 then bought a 58 Plate Fazer S2 ABS model!
It was on 0% and I'm never going to buy a brand new car, so thought Brand new bike was a good idea as wouldn’t know what to look for when buying second hand.
I live in Tadley, North Hampshire and work in Southampton. So 43 miles from home to work. Just made the trip here for the second time. I'm still so nervous though only done 300 miles now on fazer so 400 in total since passing test.
Panicked today though, found the wind on motorway a lot easier to cope with so managed to stay at or above 70 (Below 90) all the way here!
Not quite up to weaving through traffic so got stuck in a bit of traffic and the bike got hot, I mean my leg was burning. Bike was reading 109 temp. Pulled up and phoned Yamaha shop who say as long as below 112 it's ok, the fan kicks in at 105. I still waited a good 30 minutes before riding the final mile to work.
Even on that mile it hit 105 again. Clear residential streets so doing 30 mph.
I'm just worried now about ride home. Got to do the 43 miles of which 30 is motorway about 6 pm tonight so will have hotter air temp than this morning pre 9am.
Coolant level is right on the L marker, so shouldn't really be that, yes do need to fill up and will buy coolant but can i get home on that?
But all that i still loved the ride down and I'm so glad i did the test and bought a bike.

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the fold. You should take it somewhat easy until you have finished the break-in period. Then, because it is a Yamaha, you can thrash it with confidence. Learn your bike and it will serve you well. ENJOY

Eviepeevie

Reaction score
Visit site
How easy is easy? I know i'm supposed to try and keep under 7000 revs, for first 600 etc. I've been kind of sat around there most of the time!
Shoudl i really try to keep off motorway then until i've upped the mileage?

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations on passing the test and your new bike -- and welcome.

Taking it easy, to my mind, really means just keeping the bike out of the upper rev range until you hit the suggested mileage mark. It doesn't matter what type of road you take her on, surface streets or freeways.

If your coolant is topped up and the fan is kicking on as the temps rise, the bike will deal with the heat ok. Bear in mind that you're sitting right there over the engine of your vehicle, as opposed to sitting in the cab of a car. As you've found, the experience of the heat of the engine is much more direct and intense. Keeping an eye on the temps is a reasonable thing to do, but I wouldn't fret too much about it.

Relax, enjoy, and stay safe.

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
This bike runs hot, especially in stop and go. The fan reliably kicks in at the appropriate temp and will keep the engine where it needs to be. What you are describing is typical in my experience.

Eviepeevie

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys. you've eased my worries, although I think i'll be a lot happier once I get home without burning to a crisp!
At least it doesn't look too hot at the moment outside!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and congratulations on your new bike and passing the test! :thumbup:

The Fizzer is a great bike and if it can survive brutal Texas 100+ degree weather, it will do fine in the UK.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
:welcome: Enjoy and Ride Safe!

I won't reiterate on the heating and break-in as you have already gotten some great advice.

But I will say, please be careful, get to know your bike and let your skills and confidence grow over time ;)

Eviepeevie

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to be careful, but sometimes I just feel stupid sometimes, sitting in traffic jams rather than going through the middle. Cars don't seem to like it when bikes sit in the traffic jam, but then when i have weaved they don't seem to like that either!
I know i need to ride within my limits of what i feel safe, but sometimes i know I'm beign over cautious. I just have to keep reminding myself, "Better safe than sorry".
I'll get there eventually and I'm enjoying the learnign curve!

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
I'm trying to be careful, but sometimes I just feel stupid sometimes, sitting in traffic jams rather than going through the middle. Cars don't seem to like it when bikes sit in the traffic jam, but then when i have weaved they don't seem to like that either!
I know i need to ride within my limits of what i feel safe, but sometimes i know I'm beign over cautious. I just have to keep reminding myself, "Better safe than sorry".
I'll get there eventually and I'm enjoying the learnign curve!

Please don't feel stupid, don't worry about what others think. This machine, along with all the other people on the road, can kill or maim you if you are not careful. Your skills and confidence will come with seat time.

Don't forget that you can always find a deserted area and practice (re-inforce) the things you learned in your training course. Also, check the local riding scene, you can start here: UK - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum, and meet up with some fellow riders, we have all been where you are right now, you will find that your fellow riders can be very patient and understanding and are more than willing to help you grow your skills ;)

eggie

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey hope you got home ok in this heat today!! Like you i passed my test last August, i bought myself a cheap runabout Suzuki GSXF before i got my FZ6, i stumbled accross my FZ6 by chance because a very kind lady in a VW Golf took a dislike to my previous bright yellow bike at a set of traffic lights whilst i was stationary, a very hard rear end shunt accross traffic lights into oncoming traffic... Since August ive done about 8000 miles in total between the two bikes and i really really really like my FZ6 so like i said nice lady in VW Golf thankyou for writing off my old bike!!

I travel 86 miles a day round trip from home to office mostly nice bendy roads with odd straights.. I think until i got used to my bike i found weaving and nipping up stationary traffic difficult... My tip is to take your bike to a Supermarket carpark, after hours and practice manouvering at about 5 MPH along the white lines.. Use clutch and throttle till your confident with your balance and slow speeds.. 1st and 2nd gears, I did that and i think it served me well, now im at the point where i can comfortably pass stationary traffic without to much concern... none the less look out for Blonde women in VW Golfs!!

With the miles your doing for communting you will be a biking veteran in a few months..

All the best

Steve

Eviepeevie

Reaction score
Visit site
Got home safe, and a lot cooler, well the bike was.
Managed to sit about 70-75 most of the time about 6500 revs and about 80 degrees! Well that was on the motorway. As soon as i got off teh motorway the temp went up, but didnt' go above 100 till i got home turned off then turned electric back on. I left electrics on for a bit so the fan could cool!
Think I'll go by car tommorow but can't wait untill next time i go on the bike.
I'm starting to relax more now, and more confident that when i stop and have to put foot down I'm not going to fall off! I'm short so even after new lowered shock and lowering bars I still only have toes down one side at a time!

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Welcome to the club! I just passed 13K on my Fizzer and I'm loving it. Don't worry about all the a**holes in cars - do what you are comfortable with and live to tell the tale. You will naturally become more confident and comfortable on the bike and filtering will come.

I would recommend taking a Bike Safe course as soon as you can get on one. It's very helpful with teaching you how to ride proactively instead of being reactive to stuff that happens around you.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Tadley to Southampton and you go on the motorway???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll be riding into work in Winchester Thursday and Friday. I'll meet you in Baughurst and show you the fun way through Kingslcere and Whitchurch if you want.

Eviepeevie

Reaction score
Visit site
Matt, I would love to do that, but I'm worried I would really be holding you up at the moment. Can we hold off for maybe just 2 more weeks let me get a bit more confident with my riding and then I woudl love that!
Which way do you go then? And also what time?

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Fine. I only ever rode with anyone else when I went to the Isle of Man recently. I can wait. I'm able to commute every day at the moment (I normally have to take my daughter to college but she's on summer hols now). I vary my route. Fastest is A4, round Greenham Common to A34 at Tot Hill then down A34 and peel off at Sutton Scotney services then back roads to my work in Crawley which is just north of Winchester.

The fun route takes me from home to Aldermaston, Baughurst, Ashford Hill, through Kingsclere, over Watership Down, into Whitchurch, onto A34 for 1 junction then off at Sutton Scotney.

I set off at 7.45am and into work for 8.30 but I can be flexible. No need to worry about being worried. I was nervous and inexperienced once too (I only started riding 4 years ago when in I was 34). I won't be a right bast**d and speed off!