New Renthal Bar and other stuff...

D

Dave.TX

The stock FZ6 handlebar is not comfortable to me (and a lot of other people) so I ordered the Renthal Road Medium to replace it with. Got some gel Pro Grip 719's and Driven V2 bar ends to go with it. Install today. Will post some pics.

2011-09-26_12-54-16_328.jpg

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent choice. I had Renthal Ultra Low bar and the shape was super comfortable. I wasn't happy with vibration though. I'm curious to see if you'll find it acceptable especially with those light bar ends.

D

Dave.TX

Of course the bar ends don't fit and I dropped one of them so now can't return them. Lovely.
FxCam_1317143330421.jpg

FxCam_1317135122075.jpg

FxCam_1317135707637.jpg

As you can see the bars don't have as much pullback, have more rise to them and are a bit wider. Because of the rise there's no need for risers which cost more than the bar itself. Other than having to remount the GPS to accommodate the throttle cables everything fits fine. I used isopropyl alcohol to get the grips on as per the instructions. They haven't dried out yet, the instructions said to give it 24 hours, so they move around a bit. I will have to figure out which bar ends to get now that do fit and sell the Driven V2's that don't. I know Renthal bar ends will work but I don't like the looks of them. Might be stuck getting those though.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
D

Dave.TX

Thanks Erci. I'll head over to the True Value hardware store today and see what I can find that'll fit the small ID of the bars. The nut on the bar ends won't even fit into the bars. Wish I had more tools at home...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Erci. I'll head over to the True Value hardware store today and see what I can find that'll fit the small ID of the bars. The nut on the bar ends won't even fit into the bars. Wish I had more tools at home...

Yup. As I mentioned in my HVMP post, Renthal has 13mm internal diameter (1/2" will work perfectly, if you have to go with non-metric hardware).
My setup really didn't require any tools.. just something to cut the rubber lip off of the expansion nut.
Good luck!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
You can always go w/the wedge adapters if all else fails

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk

D

Dave.TX

OK, went and got some 1/4" fuel line and a couple 10mm nuts (don't you dare!). The nuts I got were smaller than the originals (don't even...). It all worked! Got the bar ends on. Still haven't ridden it yet and was going to tonight but there's rain in the area so don't know. Just sitting on the bike with the new bars is nice but I know without a taller windscreen I'm doomed to 70+ mile an hour winds like naked people have. Ugh.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
Dave,

I am following your lead on the handlebars and have the bars inbound. As far as wind protection I went with the Madstad shield and robo brackets that have really been awesome. The bar ends I have waited on until the bars get here. Thanks for the lead on this.

polla2256

Reaction score
Visit site
I just fitted medium to mine and it vibrates like crazy. Yet to fit bar ends though they are on their way. Anyone else having vibration problems ? Anyone tried to dampen it ? (might fill the ****ers with some rubbery type compound)

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I just fitted medium to mine and it vibrates like crazy. Yet to fit bar ends though they are on their way. Anyone else having vibration problems ? Anyone tried to dampen it ? (might fill the ****ers with some rubbery type compound)
If you look on my site link in my sig you can see how I got some very heavy cheap ones to fit. Much better than nothing and comparable to stock when I filled the bars with sand too.