New Power Commander V

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Everyone - DynoJet has the new Power Commander V out. Currently it is only available for HDs however I'm sure other makes and models will follow soon.

The new PC5 looks to be a big improvement over the PC3 which is a nice piece of hardware to begin with.

Power Commander V for Harley Davidson Motorcycles, Fuel Tuning Device

Here's the key features. Bottomline, even more adjustability and finer levels of tuning. They are also offering an "auto tune" module.

- Fuel and Timing control
- Rev Xtend
- “Warm Up” fuel adjustment (unit reads engine temp and allows fuel/timing adjustments based on it). Previously the PCIIIusb allowed you to add extra fuel during startup based on “number of revolutions” of the engine. Now, the PCV can read the exact engine temperature through the bike’s own ECM which allows the tuner to choose how much fuel to add for a given engine temp. Cold starting on heavily modified engines should now be much more controllable and easy to adjust.
- Software displays J1850 data from bikes’ stock ECU (this is data such as temp, fuel pulse width, timing advance, spark knock, etc.)
- Reduced size (less than half of the size of PCIII). Installing the unit is now much easier.
- USB powered from computer (9 volt adapter is no longer needed for programming)
- 2 position map switching function built in (map switch not included). You can add any SPST switch (this is a simple open/closed style switch) and toggle between two different fuel/timing maps. One could be for power and the other fuel economy. You might also have a high octane and low octane map (with different ignition timing settings).
- Gear/Speed input (allows for map adjustment based on gear)
- Analog input (allows user to install any 0-5 volt sensor and build an adjustment table based on its input such as boost or temperature)
- With gear position input connected the PCV is capable of allowing each cylinder to be mapped individually and for each gear. You could have both the front and rear cylinder mapped separately and also change each of those maps for each gear you are in (if required). This would allow richer maps in lower gears for more power and leaner maps in the upper gears for better highway fuel economy.
- 10 throttle position columns (up from 9 on PCIIIusb). More tuning ranges than PCIIIusb.
- Enhanced “accel pump” utility (increased adjustment and sensitivity ranges)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, i cant wait for this to be available for a FZ6!!!! Just from having a quick peek at the specs you listed Pete, it looks as if Power Commander have incorporated a lot of functions that were only previously available with the use of the Pwer Commander multi function hub.....i bet it wont be cheap!

Also lots of other new, and improved stuff too.... :D

Thanks for posting...eyes lit up like Christmas tree's when i saw the title of this thread!

:thumbup:

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
looks like they are slowly turning it into a plug and play fully programmable ecu vs a "piggy back" style. What kind of resolution does this have vs the pcIII.
how many adjustment points?

as you can tell I've never played with a PCIII

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The price looks to be $288 to $350 USD. Now that was at a retail place that didn't have any in stock yet. The DynoJet web site is listing them at $350 USD. The Auto Tune module is another $350.

One of the cool changes is you can create a map for each gear of the bike. So our bike would have six individual maps per overall map. Not sure what kind of difference that makes but cool.

In addition to that there are now 10 throttle positions instead of 9. Not a big change but an improvement.

There is also a timing module build in which is a really nice addition.

And you can toggle between two different maps; think economy vs. performance.

Keep in mind too that with the PC3 you can trim each cylinder too, so the overall tuning flexiblity is amazing.

I am skeptical of the Auto Tune module, we'll see.

With the new Bazzaz unit DJ need to up their game and it looks like they have.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hey wolf, whatever happened to the FZ6 that they made custom for the race last year. Suppose to have all the gadgets on it, and was selling for $11,000.00 i think.

luckyirishboy209

custom fz6 foot peg maker
Reaction score
Visit site
i e-mailed dyno jet asking when they were going to make the power commander v for our bikes and this is what they said.

Thanks for your inquiry and interest in our product. The first PCV's for the metric sport bikes, street bikes and cruisers should be introduced sometime in the first quarter of next year.

Let us know if you have any more questions. Regards, --------------------Stan LassPowersports Technical SupportDynojet Research Inc.Tel: 800-992-4993 Fax: 702-399-1431

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
wow, sounds like they have taken their time with the revision and will be in the right direction this time around, now i have an excuse to wait for a PC (other than no $)

luckyirishboy209

custom fz6 foot peg maker
Reaction score
Visit site
dnyo jet just sent me another e-mail saying that he made a mistake they will not make the new pcv for our bikes. here what he said

The PC V is being released for 09 models forward only. We have not tested and verified operation of the unit on any of the older models at this point, so we cannot officially support it for use on anything other than 09 model year bikes. Any installation and utilization other than those officially recommended by us would be at your own risk. Let us know if you have any other questions. Regards,

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
dnyo jet just sent me another e-mail saying that he made a mistake they will not make the new pcv for our bikes. here what he said

The PC V is being released for 09 models forward only. We have not tested and verified operation of the unit on any of the older models at this point, so we cannot officially support it for use on anything other than 09 model year bikes. Any installation and utilization other than those officially recommended by us would be at your own risk. Let us know if you have any other questions. Regards,

It will work fine. Afterall they supported 07 and 08s with nothing but 04 to 06 maps, dorks. So the 09 will work well for the 07 to 08s.

I would love to have my tuner spend a few hours with this and see what he comes up with. I'd guess he could get the throttle even smoother than he did with the PC3.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I would "risk" it they haven't changed the 09 from the 08 or 07... and if i am not mistaken the 04-06 is the same PCIII as the 07-08, so in theory the 09 one should work with 04+

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
bump for an update...has anyone installed a PC-V on a 2008 or older FZ6? Only reason I can think it wouldn't work is due to a change in the wiring harness or connector style, but AFAIK the 2009 is the same as a 2008 except for a couple of cosmetics. :confused:

I emailed dynojet and got the same answer, which I interpret as "we are not going to re-check it with all the older bikes but it might work".

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
bump for an update...has anyone installed a PC-V on a 2008 or older FZ6? Only reason I can think it wouldn't work is due to a change in the wiring harness or connector style, but AFAIK the 2009 is the same as a 2008 except for a couple of cosmetics. :confused:

I emailed dynojet and got the same answer, which I interpret as "we are not going to re-check it with all the older bikes but it might work".

If you take your bike to a good tuner the '09 PC5 will work on the older bikes. The guys who tune my stuff are regularly adapting PC3s and PC5s to work on other makes that are similar. ie: Duc to Duc, Ape to Ape, Ape to Buell, etc.

The key is you must find a first rate tuning shop, not the local HD dealer with an inertia dyno.

going going.....gone

Reaction score
Visit site
ive got a pcv on my 58 plate fz6 its works but i can not get a map for it without going to a tuner its driving me mad anyone got any ideas where i can get a tuned map for my PcV

thanks dan