New member welcome thread..

kubiac73

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

My Name is Matt and I live in greensboro, NC. I have had the pleasure of riding some very nice bikes in my life time. I have been riding since I was a child. Started with a honda xr80, xr100, suzuki dr250, Suzuki dr500, Gsxr 1100, honda magna, (and many others that ive ridden) and now my 06 "Fizzer" and it is my all time favorite. Nibble, light, spunky, and speedy. Reminds me of a famous boxer "Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee". I love my fz6 and plan on keeping it. Thanks for this site I can appreciate other lovers of yamaha.:thumbup:

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

My name is John and I've been reading the FZ6 forum for about 5 months now while I was making up my mind on what sportbike to get after giving up my Yamaha V-Star a while back. I've been riding for the last 40 years, Enduro's, '68 Triumph Daytona, and a Honda CB400F (that was totaled in '76 by a cager which resulted in a six week hospital stay) after which my ex-wife made me choose between her and bikes.

Nine years later on the day after I was asked for a divorce, I got a new Honda 500 Interceptor. Followed by a Ninja that I used for a couple of years for AFM racing (what a blast!). Got out of riding for a few years and when I decided to ride again I tried to tell myself that getting a cruiser would be much smarter (less tempting to ride fast through the curves) but after having the V-Star for 4 years, and hating the cruiser style of riding went on the search for a sportbike.

The only condition my wife put on me was no "SS, low bar, canyon carver" knowing how I would be tempted to ride like I used to.
While looking at Ninja 650R's, SV650's at a dealership, my wife pointed to a beautiful black FZ6 and asked why not that bike?

That's when I found the FZ6 forum and all of you, and I have to say thanks to you all being so helpful and nice to each other, and all of the glowing praise of the FZ6 I finally picked up a used '08 Midnight blue beauty last Monday. Riding home from Santa Cruz up the coast for 60 miles, I kept saying to myself, is this bike really as good and easy to ride I think it is?

Yesterday the weather here was perfect and I took it out for a spirited run through the mountain roads here on Hiway's 9 and 35 and I couldn't (still can't) believe a bike can be this much fun to ride. Handles like a dream, has more than enough manageable power and comfortable riding position.

Sorry for the long post, but I just can't believe what a fantastic bike the FZ6 is and if this damn fog would lift I'll be out again this afternoon for a great ride.

Cheers,
John

smburke1

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello!
Thanks for letting me join and all the great posts. I just bought my 1st real bike yesterday, an 05 blue FZ6! It's awesome! I'm sneaking out of work early to ride. Live in San Diego. 30 yrs old. Enjoy playing hockey, dark beers, dogs and traveling. Have a great weekend.

Thanks,
Sean

Konrad

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey whats up guys!!! ive owned an 07 FZ6 for a couple of years now...and last october my brother spilled it on its left side and its gonna cost me like $2700 bucks to go back to stock!!!! So i have decided to go streetfighter style with it....i found a headlight for it and am looking for a way to mount the speedo ?? any ideas?? and thinkin about new straighter handle bars!!!! any info would be much appreciated!!! thanks.

TXFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone, My name is Shaun and I live in San Antonio, TX. I just bought my FZ6 yesterday and its my first bike. I hope to take advantage of all the great knowlege on this site and partake in some great riding stories. Mine has only been from the dealership to my house and I already have one, so I'm sure you guys have plenty.

Sigs

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, My name is Josh. I live in NJ. I've been wanting a bike for a few years now. With a lot of priorities getting in the way, I've never made the time to go get a license. Now that my sister and my mother have beaten me to that, I feel obligated to go get my license this March. My sister got her bike this august. A 2001 YZF600. Its a nice bike, but I've never been that interested in the typical "crotch rocket" look, save for some really nice exceptions (R1/6). I've always found the naked bike look, leaner and more aggressive. So when I read up on the FZ6 it seemed like the perfect bike for me to start with (please correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, I'll cut the long introduction here and just say thanks for having me.

Live4Snow

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, My name is Josh. I live in NJ. I've been wanting a bike for a few years now. With a lot of priorities getting in the way, I've never made the time to go get a license. Now that my sister and my mother have beaten me to that, I feel obligated to go get my license this March. My sister got her bike this august. A 2001 YZF600. Its a nice bike, but I've never been that interested in the typical "crotch rocket" look, save for some really nice exceptions (R1/6). I've always found the naked bike look, leaner and more aggressive. So when I read up on the FZ6 it seemed like the perfect bike for me to start with (please correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways, I'll cut the long introduction here and just say thanks for having me.

Welcome from Tennessee!

Ride safe. As far as a perfect bike to start off with....I'll let someone else take this one.

Sigs

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcomes. I see where you're going with that and actually just finished reading the http://www.600riders.com/forum/new-riders-q/983-potential-riders-must-read.html and understand the concerns and hazards of buying a 600cc for a first bike. I'm not evening going to attempt to make an excuse as to justify me buying one. That is what I want and that's all that matters right? My mind is made up that I do want a 600cc so let me rephrase my question :) "Is the FZ6 the perfect 600cc bike for me to start with?"

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It depends if you have ever ridden any motorbike before.

I started on DT175 (road/trail), then CBF250. Once I was confident on the CBF I moved up to the FZ6.

For me, it was the right thing to do, but everyone is different and has different skill levels.

You need to ride a smaller bike first, then see how confident and able you are to move up.

Personally, I would recommend something a little smaller at first.

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
What’s up FZ6 Forum...I am new here, but I have already benefited from the most excellent threads on this forum.

Just bought a 2006 FZ6 back in December and so far the bike rocks:rockon:

Anyways I'm in Houston looking forward to some good weather this weekend.

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the warm welcomes. I see where you're going with that and actually just finished reading the http://www.600riders.com/forum/new-riders-q/983-potential-riders-must-read.html and understand the concerns and hazards of buying a 600cc for a first bike. I'm not evening going to attempt to make an excuse as to justify me buying one. That is what I want and that's all that matters right? My mind is made up that I do want a 600cc so let me rephrase my question :) "Is the FZ6 the perfect 600cc bike for me to start with?"

Welcome to the forum!!

There is no perfect bike to start with. Actually there is - the one you already have.

There is, however, a perfect way to start: CAUTIOUSLY.

Respect your ride.
ATGATT.
Get good training.
Ride within your limits.
Take small steps.
and...
Never let your balls rule your brain.

oldbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi..I am from Doncaster ,Yorkshire in ENGLAND. I have a 05 Fazer.
( The fast BLUE one of course..lol..)..All I need is a little bit of decent weather so I can get back on the road again...The british winter weather has been awful...Ah well, soon be summer..!!!
This is my second big bike..( my first was a BANDIT.)..I much prefer the fzs..!!

Last edited:

DEMIbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm from Montréal,Qc. I own a '07 fz6 blue and it's my first bike. I already read a lot of info on this forum. I take every good advice :p

Kflowers81

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all my name is kenn I'm from enterprise alabama and work nights at the military flight school. I just bought a 2006 fz6 (blue) a couple days ago and I absolutely love it. Well its really nice to know there is somewhere to get good advice from so thanks for all the info.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haven't been in this thread for a bit.

Welcome to all the new-comers. Hope you all enjoy the wealth of info and friendly members here.
Ride lots, post often (with pics of course), and enjoy.

:rockon:

wes

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, everyone.

My name's Wesley, I live in Wisconsin, and I'm a graduate student of statistics:rockon:. I bought my FZ6 just as winter was setting in, rode it a few times, and then locked it up in the garage. Last week I cleaned it up, and today I took it for the first ride of the season.

I'm a new rider - my girlfriend showed me the basics on her Honda Shadow - and I'm registered for the first local MSF class of the Spring; it's in a month. I know the FZ6 is not a beginner's bike, and I will be working hard to stay safe.

Does anyone have advice regarding whether I should use the FZ6 or a loaner for the MSF class?

Thanks for the great resource.