New member, thinking of buying an FZ6

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

Just joined here after a visit to my local dealer. I currently ride a Kawasaki KLR, it's my first bike and I've had it about a year. I love the KLR but am finding myself wanting something more street oriented. I went to the local Yamaha dealer and sat on a few sportbikes, an R6, a 600 Ninja, and a CBR 600. I really don't like the very forward riding position. On a whim I asked the salesman if they had any FZ6's in because I have heard that they are more upright and comfortable. They just got one on trade that I went and looked at and the riding position is much better. It seems to be a very comfortable bike with a lot of performance.

I'm here to research and learn about these bikes and possibly pick one up in the near future. The one at the dealer is an 08, dark blue, looks to be in good condition, has 9000 miles and he said they would probably be asking $5500. The bike was still in the shop fresh from trade so it isnt on the floor yet. Anyway, thanks for reading and I'm sure I'll be researching and asking some questions.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Great place here, lots of useful info.

The price on that fz sounds a little high to me, but if you plan on trading your current bike in it would help.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You got everything right about the bike, but the price is too high. Look for one here in "for sale" section or on craigslist/eBay. 08 with 9k miles can be had for well under 5k.

Let us know if you have any bike-specific questions (besides the fair price).

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome and go for it, don't know about the price as it may be high. It is more upright and comfortable than the others you mentioned. I swapped my bars for the FZ1 bars which are flat (straight across) but are still more upright. The FZ6 is a sport tourer and is capable of commuting, running the mountains and touring. As you read this forum you will find riders who commute, ride the mountains and others who take long rides. It is a great all purpose bike, a real jack of all trades. May not be stellar at any one thing but it is versatile. If you keep the RPS's below 8,000 it will putter around all day, get them above that and crank on it and another side is revealed. In case you could not tell I love mine!!! Commute pretty much every day, have ridden in weather from 24 to 104 (well maybe it was 102), taken it to the Tail of the Dragon, ridden from Birmingham to Sarasota three times (in mid July). Once I put the Michelin PR2's on it have had no traction issues. Bought mine with 2,800 miles on it 2 and a half years ago and now have 26,000 miles on it. In the next couple of weeks plan to sync the throttle bodies and check the valve clearances.

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
I certainly hope you find one that fits you. But that price is WAY too high as is the milage. There are still brand new '09 models for sale at $5500, you just have to be will to barter a little. Good luck and safe riding.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Stop thinking about it and just buy one! You know you want it! I'm with Erci a bit too high. Keep looking if they don't waver on the price! You'll find what you're looking for. :welcome:

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
Like everyone said the price is a little high aim under 5 from the dealer. If you have the option to buy cash than go that route it will save u alot. If not then try ure best for a cheap interest rate and a good price.

As for the Fz6 it's a great bike that can put a smile on your face for years to come. This bike is great on the Twisty's and a great commuter and is very comfy for long rides.

Here is the deal many people think they have outgrown this bike or other bikes like the sv650 because they have been riding on the streets for some time and, feel thay can handle more speed at every stop light and think that's the purpose of a street bike. In reality that's not were all the fun is at!. It's in the curves my friend. Once you get into it you will notice that you don't really need a fast bike yet.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't comment on price but, :welcome: to the forum.

Take one for a test ride then decide.

See ya back here when you've bought it :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
C

CoolATIGuy

Ditto on the price, too high, but good bike if you're looking in the 600cc range, test ride if they'll let you then look for a deal on Craigslist. Look at blue book prices on kbb.com and nadaguides.com and blackbookusa.com

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow I've never had such a warm welcome to any forums before. You guys are great! I thought the price was steep. I really liked the bike though... I'll be keeping my eyes open for any opportunities. There are some good riding roads close enough to where I live, the Loess hills of Iowa. I have taken my KLR there before and while it is fun, I want something that really can carve the corners. I'll probably keep the KLR though because it's old and reliable, so its worth more to me than anything I'd get for trade-in.

I've been researching and learning a lot here. Are there any years in particular that are better than others? I'm still trying to learn the FZ specific lingo, S1 S2 FZ6R and all that.

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
Picked up an '08 over a year ago with 7K for $3800. Offer $3500 and walk away when they say they can't make the sale. Stop in a week later and see if it's still there. Also, the internet.

C

CoolATIGuy

Wow I've never had such a warm welcome to any forums before. You guys are great!

It's a pretty active community here. :rockon:

If you want the bike, go for it, but if you want a deal, pick a walk-away ceiling price, and if they can't meet that just keep looking. You've got a bike, you're not in a vehicle bind, no reason to go shell out waaay more than necessary.

Fun bike :thumbup:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been researching and learning a lot here. Are there any years in particular that are better than others? I'm still trying to learn the FZ specific lingo, S1 S2 FZ6R and all that.

Using search feature will get you loads of info on the above, but to make it short and sweet: 2007 model year was the *big* change. New swingarm, front brakes, top fairing and different map. No major changes (if any) have been made since 07 model year.
FZ6R is a completely different bike.. new model.. heavier and less powerful, but still a great bike based on what I've been reading.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:
I actually used to ride KLR and it was my first bike too :rockon: i loved The Tractor!!! But it got stolen, so i went looking for a replacement that would be more road-oriented. i got an 04 fz6 with 7k miles on it for about $3k and i dont regret it. It aint KLR in terms of upright posture, but it ain't r6 either. I'm 6'3, 220 lbs and i'm quite comfortable without even adding bar raisers. And it has so much more torque!

If you did a lot of mods to the swamp thing and you liked it, you'll love fz6 - lots of mods you can do and this place is a great source. Almost all are optional - no real equivalent of the famed doohickey ;-), maybe the dual headlight mod.

i think fz6 is a really good all-rounder. good for touring too, imho.

What year KLR do you have? i had a green '08 and i'm very tempted to buy one as second bike again - it ws just way too much fun to ride.

C

CoolATIGuy

2007 model year was the *big* change. New swingarm, front brakes, top fairing and different map.

I've got an '05, rode with an '07 - I liked how the faring area around the inside (speedo/handlebar) area looked on the '05 better, fyi. my 2c

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got an '05, rode with an '07 - I liked how the faring area around the inside (speedo/handlebar) area looked on the '05 better, fyi. my 2c

Forgot to mentioned that speedo changed for 07 as well (it looks exactly like latest FZ1/FZ6R).
Nothing wrong with 04-06 bikes. Loads of people have them and love them.

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:
I actually used to ride KLR and it was my first bike too :rockon: i loved The Tractor!!! But it got stolen, so i went looking for a replacement that would be more road-oriented. i got an 04 fz6 with 7k miles on it for about $3k and i dont regret it. It aint KLR in terms of upright posture, but it ain't r6 either. I'm 6'3, 220 lbs and i'm quite comfortable without even adding bar raisers. And it has so much more torque!

If you did a lot of mods to the swamp thing and you liked it, you'll love fz6 - lots of mods you can do and this place is a great source. Almost all are optional - no real equivalent of the famed doohickey ;-), maybe the dual headlight mod.

i think fz6 is a really good all-rounder. good for touring too, imho.

What year KLR do you have? i had a green '08 and i'm very tempted to buy one as second bike again - it ws just way too much fun to ride.

You had your KLR stolen? Thats crazy. It seems that thieves more often go after sportbikes and Harley types than a little old KLR. Mine is a 1985 KLR600. It runs good, only has 8000 miles on it. A lot of parts are shared with the later 88-07 650. While I was at the dealer I also sat on a 2011 KLR and didn't like it. Its much wider than my bike and less like a dirt bike, probably a little better on the street though. I think almost anything would have more power than my KLR except maybe a 250 Ninja or something like that. Its a very capable trail bike and a competent street bike but you'll never hear me say it's fast.

On a different note, the dealer did offer me the chance to test ride the FZ6 once they had a chance to inspect it and get it ready. I'd love to give one a shot riding around but want to make sure the salesman knows I'm not committed too. I'll give it a week and stop back by and see if they have it on the floor yet and go from there. The other thing is that I like the black FZ's better, and would really prefer a black one to the dark blue.

Anyways, thanks for all the info and I'm going to go back to studying:thumbup:.

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Using search feature will get you loads of info on the above, but to make it short and sweet: 2007 model year was the *big* change. New swingarm, front brakes, top fairing and different map. No major changes (if any) have been made since 07 model year.
FZ6R is a completely different bike.. new model.. heavier and less powerful, but still a great bike based on what I've been reading.

So does S1 refer to 04-06 and S2 06+ ?