New Member - Hi from Upstate NY

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a Silver 05 FZ6 a couple of weekends ago. Anyone have any advice on frame sliders, windscreens or other mods? The bike is sitting in the garage so I HAVE to do something while I'm waiting for it to warm up! (As I post this as we are receiving a foot of new snow today)

In the past I owned all cruisers - this is the first bike I've ever wanted to make mine! Any suggestions are appreciated. :)

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum from a fellow Upstate New Yorker, well Western NY.

You'll find a ton of useful information on this site to keep you busy until April. (I know I'm being slightly optimistic). Try and stay warm in the meantime.

Edit-

Check out the mods section for all the info you'd ever want on modding the Fizzer. With regards to the windscreen, I have a Puig Dark Smoke windscreen and I love it.

Last edited:

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Look at my signature. PUIG racing screen (about 2" taller yet still looks good and makes a difference for my riding 5'8"), motivation sliders.
Weclome! I spent 4 years in Buffalo and don't miss that snow...

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Use the search function, there is a lot of useful stuff on here.

Frame sliders would be a good first mod.

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Former Western New Yorker here (Niagara Falls)

:welcome: to the forum. There is plenty of information here for you.

Beware of the mod bugs. It can get addictive :thumbup:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hi and :welcome: .. i have spent a little time in upstate new york - beautiful places and great roads to ride on.. moto-camping up there should be great this summer..

good luck on the mods.. the puig screen seems to be pretty popular. sliders i would recomend lsl's but i still dont have them either so i cant say much. one thing to change if you end up loving the bike is go for a corbin seat. worth every penny. :thumbup:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I spent 8 painful hours in JFK once, maybe twice.

You need a turbo charger.

Seriously though, welcome! :welcome:

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:
As many others have said search is you friend but here is my rundown:
motovation sliders
Puig windscreen (pick your color and height)
Lots of guys love the pazzo/asv levers
exhaust is expensive but many enjoy something that doesn't sound like a sewing machine
and of course, like Pete said, "you need a turbo" and dont for get to post up a how to on the install of said turbo.

post up your progress on here, because the FZ is like breasts, no matter how many you see you still want to see more. :thumbup:

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey welcome!!!!!!!!!!

If you wanna pick up some T-Rex frame sliders you can get them for just under 25.00 shipped to the U.S.

As to suggestions for other mods, I would suggest getting some powder coating done to the silver parts. Black it all out lol

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: I grew up in Saratoga Springs...

How much do you weigh and what kind of riding do you plan on doing? Regardless, I would check the stearing head bearings and check to see if the TPS has been replaced.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:
As many others have said search is you friend but here is my rundown:
motovation sliders
Puig windscreen (pick your color and height)
Lots of guys love the pazzo/asv levers
exhaust is expensive but many enjoy something that doesn't sound like a sewing machine
and of course, like Pete said, "you need a turbo" and dont for get to post up a how to on the install of said turbo.

post up your progress on here, because the FZ is like breasts, no matter how many you see you still want to see more. :thumbup:

How true Kyle, how true! :thumbup: The turbo part of course. :rolleyes:

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys! Thanks for all the great advice- I think I'm on info overload!

I was looking into frame sliders but couldn't find any with pics of them mounted on the bike. Since I've never had a sport bike before I wasn't sure what they would look like or what amount of work would go into installing them. I have a friend that will help out but he told me to do the research first and find out what everyone here suggested.

How about bags- anyone have any suggestions? I am female so I need a place to put my stuff! And I'd like to travel this summer so will need to figure something out. :)

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: I grew up in Saratoga Springs...

How much do you weigh and what kind of riding do you plan on doing? Regardless, I would check the stearing head bearings and check to see if the TPS has been replaced.

Saratoga Springs is a great place - very scenic.

I am 5'4 and 110 pounds. I am almost flat footed with my riding boots. I plan on doing a lot of day rides and if I really like the bike I'd like to take it to KY to visit my son.

What is "the TPS"?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome, I've been everywhere including Albany and Saratoga Springs. Don't forget to get your EZ pass transponder for your bike.

About frame sliders, don't just get any frame sliders, get frame sliders that have been crash tested by members. My recommendation: Uncaged, but I think they don't make them anymore. Motivation have held up well too.
Just type in Motivation in the search tab and see what turns up.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Saratoga Springs is a great place - very scenic.

I am 5'4 and 110 pounds. I am almost flat footed with my riding boots. I plan on doing a lot of day rides and if I really like the bike I'd like to take it to KY to visit my son.

What is "the TPS"?

Well, the suspension probably works fine at your weight (that's why I was asking). KY should be a good trip...just make sure you take the back roads!

You're surrounded by a lot of decent street riding so I'm sure you'll have a lot of good day rides once the weather turns.:thumbup:

Throttle Position Sensor...search for "TPS". There was a recall for all 2004s and a lot of 2005s...a yamaha dealer should be able to run your VIN and tell you if the work has eben done.

Welcome, I've been everywhere including Albany and Saratoga Springs. Don't forget to get your EZ pass transponder for your bike.

About frame sliders, don't just get any frame sliders, get frame sliders that have been crash tested by members. My recommendation: Uncaged, but I think they don't make them anymore. Motivation have held up well too.
Just type in Motivation in the search tab and see what turns up.

+1 on motivation sliders