New Member: 2005 FZ6

jerseyboy

Bone Stock
Reaction score
Visit site
$85 per tire??!!!! Outrageous is an understatement. $30 per tire should be your max. Call another shop.

Thanks - it seemed really insane to me. I'm thinking maybe they have their mechanic do it and charge for the entire time it takes them to take off the wheels, do the tires and put the wheels back on, but you'd think they'd have someone who could just do tires for cheaper.

For $85 per tire, I was ready to go to HF and get the tire changing tools to do it myself!

jerseyboy

Bone Stock
Reaction score
Visit site
is that a Madstadt windshield?

I'll let you know the next time I'm back at the bike (I store it about 30 minutes west of where I live to avoid having to go on 287 and 80 every time I want to hit the twisties - just easier to drive the car out to the bike and have it in western Morris county waiting by the nice roads for me :D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Best place I know in NJ regarding price for tire install is Cyclegear. They charge $30 per wheel, but you must remove the wheels yourself. It's not exactly close to you, but might be worth it if it'll save you $40+ (most places around here charge $50 per wheel).

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i take my fz to a non-branded motorcycle shop when it needs new tires.. i think they charge me $60 per, but they go over everything on the bike . I don't mind having the bike looked at by a professional when it needs new tires, in case it need something else i missed.

jerseyboy

Bone Stock
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, I've ordered Pilot Power 2CTs. Set is on there way from motorcycle-superstore at a good sale price (they were actually cheaper than the Pilot Roads). I had to really think it over. So far, with the FZ, I haven't done tons of touring - I pick the bike up from the garage out in western NJ and take a short trip to the twisties, where I spend most of the day. I figure the less soft center compound will be enough to get me out to group rides (highways to connect up with the rest of you when you're doing Bear Mountain / Hudson Valley, etc).

Do you guys drop back down the western side of the Hudson? I've been to Hastings on the Hudson and other cool areas. There's tasty pub place called Mod's Tavern (not 100% sure on the spelling) over there somewhere.

Now to find a place to mount these. I'm thinking of calling back the original place and asking how much to mount with the wheels off. If they're not much more than the Cyclegear price of $30 that Erci recommended I'll just go there, else I'll make the trip to Cyclegear.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Taking off the wheels yourself is a better choice than just letting the shop do everything for you. You get to check the wheel bearings,brakes etc and also set the chain slack correctly.

Those things cost me a lot of headache to troubleshoot, not to mention the additional premium for the tire mount.