New guy

monteitis

Reaction score
Visit site
What's up guys? I'm a new rider and just bought a 2006 Fz6 with 1100 miles on it! After experiencing how useful these online forums have been for my car, I figured I'd introduce myself here as well. Pics included, of course.

For starters, I'm hoping you guys can give me some recommendations about what I should do maintenance-wise considering this bike's history... it was purchased new in 2005 by the previous owner, who let it sit in his garage for the most part over the last 6 years... little rides here and there, but 1100 miles over 6 years.. and the bike had cobwebs on it when I bought it.

It starts up great and seems to be running perfectly... but my list of things to do are as follows:

-oil and filter change
-brake fluid
-clean and lube chain
-coolant

Anything else that strikes you guys as a no-brainer?

Many thanks!

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow looks great! Your on the right track with your maintenance plan, especially with swapping the brake fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
I would change out the tires too for safety reasons. Even though they have no mileage they are still pretty old and might have sat on the same tire patch for years.

Other then that, your bike looks amazing!!! You should send it to me :)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
First off welcome!!! I'm sure you will find this the best forum you've ever been a member of. You got a pretty good handle of what to do and take care of but I would also put some sea foam in the tank as well not knowing how old the gas is. But before doing ANYTHING to the bike I would buy some gear first, with you being a new rider and having a bike of this caliber, now don't get me wrong I'm not wishing anything bad but sh!t happens and it's a good possibility the bike will go down at some point. Seeing how the bike only has 1000 miles on it that's a great excuse to take it easy for a while too, while the bike gets properly broke in as well as you. If you haven't considered it yet, take a beginners rider corse as well, it is invaluable to new riders!!! But again welcome, congrats or your new bike, and remember atgatt (all the gear all the time)

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on ChevyFazer's advice... appropriate gear and training. The Fz6 can feel pretty tame up to 5k, but it will just keep going up and it is fast once its started, 80km/h in first is easy to achieve, be careful, oh and sorry..... a big WELCOME
:welcome:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to this great forum!
Every one is on the mark with great advice! :rockon:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the Jersey peeps are taking over:rockon:

:welcome: to the forum:thumbup:

What part of Jersey are you in? Im down in Cape May. Always looking for more people to ride with.

Joe

monteitis

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the kind words and advice, fellas!

I don't see any noticeable rot on the tires, but will definitely take that into consideration.

I realize the bike is powerful for a beginner like me, but I came across a sweet deal and plan to respect the hell out of it. I received a lot of recommendations for a kawi 500 as a starter bike, but I straddled one at a dealer and it felt like a tricycle to me (I'm a bigger guy at 6'4, 215 lbs). I'm hoping to grow into this bike and hold on to it for many years.

I have a permit and am receiving the remainder of my riding gear this week (helmet, boots, jacket, gloves). However, I'm not leaving parking lots until the Rider's Ed course... which unfortunately doesn't start for another 7 weeks! Until then, I'm having an awesome time in 1st gear. And, I'm getting pretty decent at low-speed turns. My father has let me mess around on his bike in the past (BMW K1200), so with the fazer being so much lighter, I feel much more confident handling it.

Looking forward to learning a ton in this forum and hopefully meeting up with some local fazerators once I get off my training wheels. (Not familiar with all the lingo yet, so I'll make up my own).

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!

Good buy!

As other said, new tyres - can't have them sitting around a long time as they do deteriorate, change fluids and good gear - boots, helmet, gloves, jacket etc.

After that, just search the forum and mod, mod, mod away :D

monteitis

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the Jersey peeps are taking over:rockon:

:welcome: to the forum:thumbup:

What part of Jersey are you in? Im down in Cape May. Always looking for more people to ride with.

Joe

I'm along the coast in Centralish Jersey, Monmouth county. Cape May is a hike, but one of my main motivations for getting a bike was to get out away from time to time.

Also, my father and I run a body shop in Red Bank, and last year our paint suppliers (PPG) hooked us up with box seats for the MotoGP race in Indy. This year we plan on riding out... it coincided with bike week or something last year, and I got majorly jealous that I wasn't on two wheels. On the plus side, indy girls are easy.

monteitis

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!

Good buy!

As other said, new tyres - can't have them sitting around a long time as they do deteriorate, change fluids and good gear - boots, helmet, gloves, jacket etc.

After that, just search the forum and mod, mod, mod away :D

Haha I was wondering... is it wrong to start modding before you even ride? Nothing crazy, but I like the idea of a fender eliminator because the back wheel gets me excited. I think I'd stop there for now, but working at a bodyshop, the possibilities are endless!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
That's great!!! As long as you take it easy and don't get over confident you she be fine. As far as the tires go, they should be replaced moto tires have a shelf life, what happens is the rubber gets super hard and super slick with out showing any signs of "rot" or cracking. With the description you gave of the bike I'm sure it still has the stock tires on it which by now are probably hard as a rock, you can kind of test them by taking your finger nail and try to stick it in the rubber, it should sink in a little and leave a mark if they are good

monteitis

Reaction score
Visit site
That's great!!! As long as you take it easy and don't get over confident you she be fine. As far as the tires go, they should be replaced moto tires have a shelf life, what happens is the rubber gets super hard and super slick with out showing any signs of "rot" or cracking. With the description you gave of the bike I'm sure it still has the stock tires on it which by now are probably hard as a rock, you can kind of test them by taking your finger nail and try to stick it in the rubber, it should sink in a little and leave a mark if they are good

Fair enough, tomorrow I'll stick my finger in her to feel if she's worn out. Yes, I intended that to be as dirty as it sounds.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Monteitis, don't play with your tyres, don't check your tyres - don't even LOOK at your tyres to see if they're ok.

After 6 years, I guarantee you they are not.

For the sake of $400 or so, you will be putting yourself and your beautiful machine in danger.

Replace the tyres, fluids, filters (check air-filter for rodent damage!) and make sure you check the condition of the brake lines.

And I can not stress this enough - replace your tyres as soon as possible. (even if they look and 'feel' ok, you're gambling in a known losing situation)

And finally ATGATT! (All The Gear, All The Time)

Now that I've been a nanny - welcome to the forums!

Cheers,
Rick

IndyFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the best forum around. Most friendly and helpful folks around. Follow the advice already given and have fun!!

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm along the coast in Centralish Jersey, Monmouth county. Cape May is a hike, but one of my main motivations for getting a bike was to get out away from time to time.

Also, my father and I run a body shop in Red Bank, and last year our paint suppliers (PPG) hooked us up with box seats for the MotoGP race in Indy. This year we plan on riding out... it coincided with bike week or something last year, and I got majorly jealous that I wasn't on two wheels. On the plus side, indy girls are easy.

I've been riding with Erci, he's up in Hillsborough. When it warms up I'll come up that way:thumbup:

monteitis

Reaction score
Visit site
Monteitis, don't play with your tyres, don't check your tyres - don't even LOOK at your tyres to see if they're ok.

After 6 years, I guarantee you they are not.

For the sake of $400 or so, you will be putting yourself and your beautiful machine in danger.

Replace the tyres, fluids, filters (check air-filter for rodent damage!) and make sure you check the condition of the brake lines.

And I can not stress this enough - replace your tyres as soon as possible. (even if they look and 'feel' ok, you're gambling in a known losing situation)

And finally ATGATT! (All The Gear, All The Time)

Now that I've been a nanny - welcome to the forums!

Cheers,
Rick

Sounds like I'll be getting some fresh rubber then. Any recommendations for a good set that won't break the bank?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha I was wondering... is it wrong to start modding before you even ride? Nothing crazy, but I like the idea of a fender eliminator because the back wheel gets me excited. I think I'd stop there for now, but working at a bodyshop, the possibilities are endless!

It's NEVER too early to start modding LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk