new guy, new to me fz6

gonnacrash

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, new guy here.

First I am coming I am coming from a ninja 500, I am 43 yo, been riding for years.

The bike is an 06 in cobalt blue, with 7590 miles. It is in decent shape, a few scratches and here and there. New tires, new chain, and bar risers (but they are coming off I don't like em), I may go fz1 bar.

The only two things battery maybe gone, it's on charge to see if it recovers, i had to bump start it for the test ride. Also the the upper inner faring on the left is broken, just the corner to the left of the mirror so it's not a big deal.

Not great pics need to take some outside.

2updahj.jpg

v4ylj9.jpg

gonnacrash

Reaction score
Visit site
First putting it to not gonna crssh, well that's just tempting fate.

Call me scott if that makes you feel better.

I never posted what I paid..... 2250

IAMJUSTIFYD

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice looking bike! Had mine for about 1 1/2 yrs and love it! If you really want to get rid of those bar risers give me a PM. Been thinking about buying some. Enjoy!!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome. Looks like your bike is an 04. The 06 had a different shade of blue and came out with the black frames and rims.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum, sharp bike...

Aftermarket pipes,(Scorps?) does it have directionals??

Tip over guards as well! And of course, the faster blue!!

Looks like someone really likes the round reflectors, especially on the swingarm (and high on the fork legs)

gonnacrash

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I bet the round reflectors are just added to get thru marylands safety inspection. Yes it also has sliders, and Akrapovic mufflers. As for turn signals, it has some flush led fronts

I pulled the risers, and sense I don't have tags yet, I road on a closed coarse ;) . I like it a lot better with out the risers, In fact I may look for lower bars, that are a little narrower. After the closed coarse ride, and replacing the tag on my ninja 500, that some how fell off while I was gone, I definitely like the bars narrower, that are lower in relation to the seat.

As for the pipes, I don't think I like them. I am not a fan of screaming pipes, anything over 5000 rpm I keep wanting to shift, as I felt like I was ringing it's neck. What can I say I like stealth.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do they have/make DB killers to slip in the mufflers?

If not, you won't have a problem selling those mufflers for a small fortune, highly looked for..

And there's plenty of stock mufflers here F/S.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
WELCOME to the Forum!!! (Best color-great choice)

... anything over 5000 rpm I keep wanting to shift, as I felt like I was ringing it's neck.

That's a normal response for somebody coming from a twin to an I4. This engine does OK from 4 to 6k RPM, which is pretty close to the peak for a twin. But the FZ6 peaks for torque at 10K and for HP at 12K. You'll lean to LOVE wringing it out.Note also that your ear it used to a twin, which fires twice per rev. The I4 fires four times per rev, so you're probably feeling like it's at higher revs than it really is.

These engines do fine at the high revs. I had mine at 7k and above for hours yesterday on a run across WV to VA. Well, on the four-lane parts. The mountains were wonderfully twisty so the tach got a workout.

I'm not a fan of really loud pipes either. But I do really like the sound of my pipes. One of the previous two owners had somebody who knew what they were doing take the baffles out. The "knew what they were doing" part is that they left the final exit pipes unchanged - but with only the larger outer pipe on each side. The diameter and length are tuned to shape the sound so it doesn't sound like a buzzy grumble.

Enjoy!

Chris

Last edited:

Zealot

The Village Idiot
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks nice dude! I'll save you a couple of questions:

-This bike tends to be loud and clunky whilst shifting

-Preloading your shifts is a huge way to improve smoothness (Don't be afraid, just make sure not to accidentally roll off the throttle when you aren't ready, lest you do a clutchless shift at low RPM and risk messing something up)

-First to second shift benefits greatly from a solid preload and quick shifting - otherwise it has a tendency to shudder (better your odds with shifting, and shift closer to 6000 RPM. You can cruise at 4 without much issue, but shifting works better around 6 and up)

-Clutch is naturally heavy, but some proper lubrication and lever positioning goes a long way

-Clutch bite is in the final inch worth of lever movement, thus you don't have to pull it far to shift

-Throttle is very on/off without some tweaks. Less free play makes it a little easier IMO. Consider a fuel controller, C0 Adjustment, or some other more fancy stuff like changing headers/removing cats/advancing ignition timing

-Don't bother revving past around 12,000 since the power goes away

Welcome to the club!

Last edited:

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Do they have/make DB killers to slip in the mufflers?

If not, you won't have a problem selling those mufflers for a small fortune, highly looked for..

And there's plenty of stock mufflers here F/S.

Yes, The Arkapovic's have db killers.. I have a set that came with my pipes. They make the bike as quiet as stock or maybe even quieter!! I use them once in a while on long trips, but for the most part I just let it bark. The beauty of the Akrapovic pipes is the ability to throw the db killer in and be super quiet or be able to have one of the nicest sounding exhausts there is for the fz!!

You could buy the db killers from Akrapovic, but If you're looking to be quiet all the time, Id just sell the pipe set on here for $400 or so and then buy a stock muffler for less than $100 and pocket $300!!

I like yours that are polished!! Mine are just a brushed finish!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, The Arkapovic's have db killers.. I have a set that came with my pipes. They make the bike as quiet as stock or maybe even quieter!! I use them once in a while on long trips, but for the most part I just let it bark. The beauty of the Akrapovic pipes is the ability to throw the db killer in and be super quiet or be able to have one of the nicest sounding exhausts there is for the fz!!

You could buy the db killers from Akrapovic, but If you're looking to be quiet all the time, Id just sell the pipe set on here for $400 or so and then buy a stock muffler for less than $100 and pocket $300!!

I like yours that are polished!! Mine are just a brushed finish!!

Yep, I had to buy my db killers separately.

Put them in, just as quiet as stock. They didn't make it to the end of the driveway before they got yanked and sold..

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I had to buy my db killers separately.

Put them in, just as quiet as stock. They didn't make it to the end of the driveway before they got yanked and sold..

Heres how it goes for me.. "Ahh time for a nice weekend trip, I'll throw the plugs in, and de-stress from the week with a a nice relaxing quiet ride."... 50 miles later "I NEED TO MAKE NOISE!!!!!!!!!!"

On a side note, maybe its time I hit my pipes with the polish wheel and some rouge...I'm like a crow, Love shiney stuff!!