New Garmin Zumo 590 LM installed!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't do many road trips but like having a GPS on the bike.

Finally broke down and bought a Garmin 590LM motorcycle specific GPS for the bike; https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod145273.html
I got 20% off from Garmin as I had an old SPIII that is un-supported.

I was very concerned about being able to see it bright daylight. Needless to say, it has the best screen picture and is considerably easier to navigate/use.

It has a built in digital song player, (I have about 14 full albums loaded with NO additional SD cards). It can play wireless or in my case, a standard head phone jack (as I have speakers in my helmet).

I wired it into the ft running light to power up with the ignition and turn off with the ignition.

I had to make a special bracket to set it nice and low (on a stem mount bolted to a custom center triple nut) so I could see ALL my dash including the low set idiot lights... I put rubber washers in-between all the brackets, stem mount, etc, so it a fairly good amount of cushion for bumps..

Anyway, some pic's. Highly recommended GPS / stereo if you have some $ to burn...

BTW, if you have an un-supported Garmin GPS, you can get up to 40% off a new unit. I sold my old unit about two years ago, however if I traded it in, it would have been 40% off. My SPIII was still registered to Garmin..

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nicely set up Scott, it looks really clean :thumbup: I still use an old zumo 550 Which still works well even though the maps are from 2009 :eek:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
LOL....I didn't figure Scott to be into Michael Jackson.

I do (obviously) like his GREATEST hits!

One of the biggest issues with the Bike mount is it comes with an "Octopus" of wiring. I used only the hot/ground wires and audio output. It has another USB cable, an audio in cable. This harness is about 6' long!!(see additional pic's)

Those with naked bikes, good luck hiding all those cables.

Taking my time, I got them all tucked up nice and neat in the front right side fairing(upper RS corner).

The audio out cable, velcrowed to the LS inner fairing.

If your on a route(GPS directing you), with the stereo on, the music stops momentarily and the GPS (lady voice), will tell you when to turn, then the music comes back.. Very, very slick...

The one pic shows the "octopus" tucked up behind the fairing, nice and neat.

The other my power distribution to ALL accessories

The left side, inner fairing, you can just see the "audio out" velcrowed for easy access. The GPS is seen tucked down in-between the handle bar risers/set backs (the gauges are FULLY visable too).

The front suspension(air forks) tightened up the stock forks considerably(and work great BTW, no oil/air leaks) so the rubber mounted washers at each joint was really mandatory. You can see the rubber spacers/washers at each mounting point.

Of course, one assembled, all that is hidden..

Double click to enlarge.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
List price $899. Gulp! Very nice set-up. I'll have to upgrade my FZ6 GPS...someday.

Thank you..

Mine had 20% off, so it was down to $719.00, plus tax, free shipping. If I had the old SPIII to mail in, 40% off.. Back in 2004, my old SPIII was $800.00. This machine smokes the SP.

As noted, if you have an un-supported, Garmin GPS, you can get 20-30% off direct from Garmin. AsK for the "trade in program" as they will NOT tell you about it (if there's one for your specific unit... :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I always wanted to invent an Adult R Rated version GPS, or at least have that option to be able to put it at that setting. It would call you all kinds of insulting names if you missed the turn, and profanity of course. It would be so entertaining that you would want to F up on purpose so the GPS can scold you. I want to hear that GPS say it now has to F ing recalculate.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I do (obviously) like his GREATEST hits!

One of the biggest issues with the Bike mount is it comes with an "Octopus" of wiring. I used only the hot/ground wires and audio output. It has another USB cable, an audio in cable. This harness is about 6' long!!(see additional pic's)

Those with naked bikes, good luck hiding all those cables.

Taking my time, I got them all tucked up nice and neat in the front right side fairing(upper RS corner).

The audio out cable, velcrowed to the LS inner fairing.

If your on a route(GPS directing you), with the stereo on, the music stops momentarily and the GPS (lady voice), will tell you when to turn, then the music comes back.. Very, very slick...

The one pic shows the "octopus" tucked up behind the fairing, nice and neat.

The other my power distribution to ALL accessories

The left side, inner fairing, you can just see the "audio out" velcrowed for easy access. The GPS is seen tucked down in-between the handle bar risers/set backs (the gauges are FULLY visable too).

The front suspension(air forks) tightened up the stock forks considerably(and work great BTW, no oil/air leaks) so the rubber mounted washers at each joint was really mandatory. You can see the rubber spacers/washers at each mounting point.

Of course, one assembled, all that is hidden..

Double click to enlarge.

Really nice wiring Scott. It looks like the S2 has a lot more under-faring room than my S1.

Minor THREADJACK- I am planning some wiring enhancements and I am using a similar approach, mounting a Fuzeblock FZ1 power distribution box in the space under a side faring piece. I also have a Stebel that is going in, which will be wired separately because the FZ1 has a 10A per-circuit limit.

What I am most concerned about at this point is keeping the fairing easy to remove by using multi-wire connectors where possible. I don't see anything like that in your pictures. When it comes to removing the nose, do you un-do everything?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Really nice wiring Scott. It looks like the S2 has a lot more under-faring room than my S1. Thank you

Minor THREADJACK-No problem.

I am planning some wiring enhancements and I am using a similar approach, mounting a Fuzeblock FZ1 power distribution box in the space under a side faring piece. I also have a Stebel that is going in, which will be wired separately because the FZ1 has a 10A per-circuit limit. Here is where I attached my Power Distribution block and Stebel, more wires criss crossing(see pics)

What I am most concerned about at this point is keeping the fairing easy to remove by using multi-wire connectors where possible. I don't see anything like that in your pictures. Your correct, I don't remove the nose at all (just once for a new one when I got the bike). The wiring also includes a direct line from the block to the battery. So no pulling the nose off.

When it comes to removing the nose, do you un-do everything? I simply don't pull the nose off(unless it gets wrecked), its staying.

#1 Pic is the power dist block-hardwired straight to the battery (not fused, heavily insulated). Its the ONLY line(besides the stock battery
cables) wired to the battery.

In the upper left side of the pic IS the 6' "Octopus GPS harness". It's zip tied and tucked up and sits atop the inner main stay cowl bracket (where the inner cowl bolts to).

#2 Pic is the Stebel horn under the inside cowl (just fits), on a custom bent 1/8" aluminum bracket (wired to the powerblock-fused). The
relay is adjacent to the horn.

The adjacent smaller wire sticking out is the AUDIO OUT from the GPS to plug into my helmet speakers for music / directions when on a
route..

#3 Pic is the BMW style Powerlet on the left side (custom bracket bolted under the pillion peg bracket) for battery chargers, heated clothing,
air compressor, etc (wired to the powerblock-fused)

#4 Pic shows the Stebel installed, barely visible

#5 Pic is the GPS side view. Tucked in nice and neat..

No factory wires were cut at all, anywhere..
A posi tap was used into the front right running light wire as a switched power supply for the GPS. GPS is grounded to the power block.

There is ONE hole drilled for the Stebel bracket (at the top of the bracket) as well as two other holes on the main stay for running the power wires across to the Stebel. That custom bracket sits inside a channel and CANNOT shift.

The factory horn wires plug into OEM connectors used on the Stebel horn side. Again, no cutting of the factory harness.

The power block is a marine unit... All lines, next to the fuses, are labeled so its easier to find should there be an issue.

BTW, I believe the S1 models should be the same under the inner cowls.

Double click on the individual pic to enlarge.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the right side of the cradle is a push button release to release from the cradle.

I like the idea of the o-ring to help prevent an easy walk away with the unit.

Obviously, if your somewhat observant, all it takes is a push of a button literally and you GPS is gone.

I came up with this. Its a very small luggage lock. Fits perfect around the release.

It does have some pitfalls.. With the lock, it gives some leverage to breaking off the release itself. With that said, even with the button broke off, you have to reach inside the mount (with say a small screw driver) to release the GPS.. A definite deterrent, at least if your not in a bad neighbor hood or stepping in for lunch, etc..