• I like the new FZ6R more!

Votes: 30 16.4%
  • I still the the FZ6 better!

Votes: 153 83.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently sat on FZ6R......simply put....I was not impressed.

The bike does look nice and for a brand new, young rider, would be a much better option than a Ninja 250. I found the overall bike to be "cheap". The plastics seem cheap and tire size and swingarm size are noticable. The bike seems small, probably doe to the lower seat height.
I really love the headlight though, much better looking than our FZ6's.
I left feeling alot better about my 2007 FZ6, even if he did confirm that '09 is likely the last US production year. It seems the "R" wil be the bike Yamaha will compete with in the US.
It gives me more reason to buy a Triumph when I outgrow the Fizzer.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The seat is narrower, but only 0.4" lower than the FZ6. I wonder how much lower this bike "feels".

Because the seat is narrower it will enable short legged people...like me...to get their legs closer together and get the flats of their feet on the floor. It is the same with the Yamaha lowered seat.

78HP with most of the power early on will be helpful in reducing insurance costs and I believe that it is aimed at beginner riders in certain countries as they can only ride bikes with a certain HP when they start riding. Which is why we have the FZ6 in 78 and 98HP.

I am looking forward to hearing reports when they start testing them both side by side. I read one a few days ago where the reporter liked the FZ6R but did not compare it to the FZ6.

Steve

fenell903

Reaction score
Visit site
i feel that the fz6 is way better. If 09 is goin gto be the last year for it i will be going to buell for my next bike. With the less then steller specs and the bike looking like the exhaust just fell of on a ride. I'm out on that bike

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
If the whole purpose is for the beginning rider, I think they need to lower the price another 1000 or so, or hell... 5500 price point would totally rock in a bike that looks to have more in common with the r6 then the fz6.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
I started street riding on a ex500 last year and now I am ready to buy something a little more modern looking. I really liked everything I read on the fz6 and talked myself into making this my next bike until I sat on it. I suffer from a height deficiency and at 5'6 that bike just felt uncomfortably big. I was getting kinda down about the bike thing because the only nice looking bikes that fit me well was the ninja 250 and buell xb9scg which is WAY overpriced for performance. I am not a poser and am not going to sacrifice comfort and safety for looking cool on a bike too big for me. Then I saw the FZ6R and just went and sat on it yesterday and it is a perfect fit, just like setting on my ex500 only with great looks! I have read a lot of complaining about this bike on the forum but there are some things you guys/gals need to remember. First, they didn't take your bike away and replace it with this, sure it shares a name but whats in a name its just marketing. Second, there are a lot of people out there who will not miss the small reductions in hp and quality parts loss. Many will be moving from a smaller cc twin to a inline four and will be blown away about the change.The FZ6R is more than enough bike to play on the twistys and push you down the highway at 120+ if you are careless enough to do so. How would you feel if owners of R1's were on here talking about how your bikes don't stack up to theirs, apples and oranges folks.

akwagon

Reaction score
Visit site
Its all about looks, the dealer didn't even order any FZ6 bikes for 09. All FZ6R models. They said, they are cheaper and everyone wants the fairing. I know for young people it might look more like their buddies GSXR, but the spec sheet stinks compaired to the FZ6

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
thank god i picked up the fz6 than this bike...fz6r is too nimble for me...and u guys are right it looks like a damned child from gsxr written all over it...

but 1 thing i like is the full fairing....thank god fz6 has an acceossory for the full lower cowling...

=)

fuzzylogic

Reaction score
Visit site
nEW FZ6R IS CATASTROFY. THAT IS BICKE FOR WOMANS.
FZ6 S2 IS THE BEST

i think someone forgot their ritalin this morning :justkidding:

edit: stryken does have a point though. alot of people are bashing on the little 6r because its not up to snuff when compared to the fz6 and honestly, who cares? do you guys care that guys with cbr's, gsx-r's, and r6's call the fz6 a chicks bike? i doubt it. you love your bike and thats all that matters. you may think that the 6r is an affront to the fizzer name but you're not getting the point of it. it is ment to be a beginners bike, period. the fz6 would suck horribly in this task. as it is the 6r has enough power to spook me if i push it. i can't imagine having 25% more that just comes out of no where @ 10k rpm.

Last edited:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like the FZ6 has a real following, its funny that Yamaha would can it. To me, there's no other bike quite like it which is probably why its been so popular. Maybe Yamaha simply can't keep it at the same price point anymore. Frankly, I think its a mistake encouraging new riders to get a crotch rocket straight off anyway, its just too aggressive. The FZ6 isn't exactly a nOOb bike, but its positioning, size, and weight make it a very well balanced and safe ride.

Nope, the new 6R doesn't do it for me. Looks cool, but I'm plenty happy with my 6, thanks.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems like the FZ6 has a real following, its funny that Yamaha would can it. To me, there's no other bike quite like it which is probably why its been so popular. Maybe Yamaha simply can't keep it at the same price point anymore. Frankly, I think its a mistake encouraging new riders to get a crotch rocket straight off anyway, its just too aggressive. The FZ6 isn't exactly a nOOb bike, but its positioning, size, and weight make it a very well balanced and safe ride.

Nope, the new 6R doesn't do it for me. Looks cool, but I'm plenty happy with my 6, thanks.

Maybe I've missed something, but the FZ6 has not been canned. Even if it is, the 6R is not it's replacement. It is a different bike targeted towards a different market. The FZ6 is leaps and bounds ahead of the FZ6R in pretty much every category, except for shiny bodywork if you care for that sorta thing. I highly doubt that we'll see a FZ6 rider buy a FZ6R, maybe for a lower seating position, but that's it.

Really there is no comparison here for experienced riders. The FZ6R is purely targeted towards the beginner market/smaller riders and should be treated as such. New riders that are looking for a bike that looks like a supersport but without the supersport performance/insurance rates. Also females/small guys that are looking for a short people friendly bike. Suzuki has pretty much the exact same formula in the GSXF-650, which is squarely the FZ6R's competition, would you compare the FZ6 to that? I've never seen a GSXF on the road so I question how well the sales performance will be for the FZ6R

Last edited:

fuzzylogic

Reaction score
Visit site
unfortunately due to the state of the economy i don't think you'll be able to judge how well the FZ6R hits home with its intended market as many dealships are having a hard time selling any bike. the local yamaha/honda dealer has had the same 2 FZ6's in its showroom for the past 5 months (i know this as they were the first bikes i ever really sat on). does this mean the FZ6 is a flop? i highly doubt it.

i think if yamaha had released the 6r about a year ago when gas prices were literally through the roof then the FZ6R would have been a phenominal success.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
unfortunately due to the state of the economy i don't think you'll be able to judge how well the FZ6R hits home with its intended market as many dealships are having a hard time selling any bike. the local yamaha/honda dealer has had the same 2 FZ6's in its showroom for the past 5 months (i know this as they were the first bikes i ever really sat on). does this mean the FZ6 is a flop? i highly doubt it.

i think if yamaha had released the 6r about a year ago when gas prices were literally through the roof then the FZ6R would have been a phenominal success.

I don't think I would call the FZ6 a sales success, at least not in North America, Europe yup. It's one of those bikes that just sells enough not to be killed, I'd say it's close though. Very few of the local shops order FZ6's for stock, and the ones that do, probably due to contract obligations with Yamaha, have them in their showrooms for a while. This was before the economy tanked too. As much as I hate to say it, I don't think Yamaha will continue selling the FZ6 in North America after the next major redesign, hopefully 2010

The GSXF-650 has been on the market since '07 here btw, still haven't seen one outside of the dealership.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
The fz6 is the clear winner in value, but looks is a individual thing so who can say. I almost got the fz6r because I am short, but I couldn't justify paying the same or more for the "R" than I ended up getting my FZ6 for. So much more bike for the money with the FZ6.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think I would call the FZ6 a sales success, at least not in North America, Europe yup.

"Americans" (us on the this forum excepted) don't appreciate that the middle ground between a cruiser and a full-on sport bike is the best position. Standard bikes don't sell in the US. Too bad. What's not to like about a comfortable riding position?

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
"Americans" (us on the this forum excepted) don't appreciate that the middle ground between a cruiser and a full-on sport bike is the best position. Standard bikes don't sell in the US. Too bad. What's not to like about a comfortable riding position?

comfortable seating position doesn't do much when you're posing at your local coffee shop hunting for tail