New FZ6 owner

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I don't think its a rod knock and it doesn't sound bad, but the pegs ARE rubber mounted, they really shouldn't have much, if any, VIBRATIONs much less than a knocking coming thru the pegs...

IMHO, I'd listen/sit on the 08 and check the vib's/knock etc. It may be something as simple as loose engine mounts, etc on yours...

Just really so you have a comparison when dealing with the shop should they tell you its normal... Its of course, about impossible, to say without the bike in hand, running, if its a normal thing. The comparison should give you a good idea on which way to proceed...

Something to consider, perhaps they can extend the warranty on the engine for a year or so should something blow up in the engine/knock gets worse, etc should you keep the bike... If its serious, it'll likely get a lot worse with time/miles...

Good luck and please post what happens...

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I'm taking the bike in tomorrow morning so we'll see what the dealer thinks. I'll also have a look at the 2008 idling to compare.

There's another concerning thing I've noticed. The fuel level (according to the dash guage) seems to be dropping too quickly. It had a full tank from the dealer. I've done 130kms and the guage is already down to only 2 bars.

I might fill the tank tonight and see how much it takes and work out the economy. From what I've read, the bike should get about 16-17km/L. So for 130 km travelled the bike should only have used about 8 L of fuel. If it takes much more than this, it's obviously using too much fuel. If it only takes about 8L then is it possible the guage is faulty?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Drastically poor mileage is another good sign that something may be amiss.

From what I see, the '08 is probably more expensive due to the fairing & topbox, not for any other reason.

I'd see if they want to do a straight swap - trust your instincts.

You may not be able to define it, but something is triggering your suspicion.

Trust your instincts.

Cheers,
Rick

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
F**K. Concern number 3! Opened the fuel cap and found rust in the top around the filler tube. Also little (minor) spots on the inside surface. God damn I can't believe I didn't check this when I looked at it.

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Seriously Mate, get rid of it!

All of these things are telling you something!

Yeah but seriously is the dealer going to take it back? Even if I offer to buy the more expensive bike, if they think it's a lemon they won't want it back.

Taking it in tomorrow. We'll see what they say...

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Chances are the dealer might say your screwed, talk to them 1st give them a chance to make it right though, if they don't I'm honestly no sure what direction to go maybe a lawyer would? But rust in the tank is not a good sign at all...

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah but seriously is the dealer going to take it back?

Depends on how you play it.

Me personally, I would definitely NOT tell them about the problems. I'd just go in and say you've had it for a week, and decided you REALLY want the faired version with touring box for weekend getaways etc.

You know it's a hassle, but you're happy to pay a little more etc.....

Remember, they want return custom/service work etc.

If you have problems, let me know and I'll help to work it out for you. (statutory warranty etc)

The warranty is good and all, but if you can just swap it over, that's the easiest solution.

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on Maves posts, especially rust in the tank. That's trouble down the road if not already. A new tank in the states is around $450.00. Rust tends to destroy fuel pumps, another $450.00.

Can you post your average MPG your getting? Should be roughly /general average around 42-45 combo city/highway. I've found the fuel gauge is fairly accurate, especially for Yamaha.

And good luck

Last edited:

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

Took it to the dealer this morning. So as expected they were not into the idea of swapping it for the other more expensive bike (with me paying the difference of course).

They were, however, very accomodating in regards to addressing the concerns I have. They will be taking the tank off and cleaning the rust in the filler neck and treating the surface. The rep was able to feel the knock I've been concerned about and they will be looking into it.

In terms of the fuel usage, they're going to have a look at it but since I haven't actually filled it up I can't tell how much fuel it's actually used. This morning the guage was moving between 1 and 2 bars and there are 165km on the trip meter.

Can I have some input from other users as to how the fuel guage reads on your bikes? For example, at what mileage does your guage show 3 bars? 2 bars? 1 bar?

Thanks all.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Update:

Took it to the dealer this morning. So as expected they were not into the idea of swapping it for the other more expensive bike (with me paying the difference of course).

They were, however, very accomodating in regards to addressing the concerns I have. They will be taking the tank off and cleaning the rust in the filler neck and treating the surface. The rep was able to feel the knock I've been concerned about and they will be looking into it.

In terms of the fuel usage, they're going to have a look at it but since I haven't actually filled it up I can't tell how much fuel it's actually used. This morning the guage was moving between 1 and 2 bars and there are 165km on the trip meter.

Can I have some input from other users as to how the fuel guage reads on your bikes? For example, at what mileage does your guage show 3 bars? 2 bars? 1 bar?

Thanks all.

I lose my first bar at 90, 2nd at 120, 3rd at 180, 4th at 230, 5th at 270 and the F trip comes on about 300.

All figures are approximate, and might differ by 5kms either way.

Cheers,
Rick

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Once the bike has been inspected, they may well allow you to have the more expensive bike, if that knock is too bad.

Be prepared to haggle - because they will try to squeeze you.

The law in these matters is very clear.

I'd be greatly concerned about the longevity of any 'repairs' they offer - even 'treating' the rust is temporary.

Did you tell them of the problems BEFORE you asked to exchange?

Be wary of the apparent 'eagerness' to resolve the issues, at the expense of long term solutions.

Cheers,
Rick

P.S. Be aware, you are entitled to a refund or exchange if the purchased product differs greatly than advertised, or were led to believe upon purchase.
It is not up to them to 'accommodate' you if you choose to push the point, the law is quite clear.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
23_3_36.gif

26_22_3.gif

Like the boomerang, keep coming back Daniel.
good to have you on board

26_11_4v.gif

I had to throw this little graphic in, coz of the rock and the bike but heres hoping you dont lose a wheel....ever
safe riding

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I'm too honest not to have told them my concerns before suggesting the exchange. I've been going to this dealer for 2 years and they've always been good to me so I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I really don't think the knock will be anything major. Just a hunch. The fuel usage may require diagnostics but I'm confident that they will honour the warranty and ensure that I get the bike I paid for. I'm pretty fussy so I'll keep bugging them until I'm satisfied.

Apart from these issues I'm satisfied with the bike. It goes bloody well and feels great on the road.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The inside of the tank, that you can't see from the filler cap likely has rust as well.

While they have the tank off and hopefully the fuel pump out, look inside the tank.

The below picture is my replaced 07 tank about two years old, looking in, from where the fuel pump bolts to. The two metal lines are for the vent, the other the overflow (but you are looking at the filler hole itself)

Last edited:

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
In case anyone was wondering how everything went with the dealer..

They had the tank treated for rust and painted (inside). They didn't think there was anything amiss with the engine (referring to the knocking feeling I get through the pegs / bars at idle). As much as I expected.. I'm still going to take the bike to another Yamaha mechanic to get a second opinion.

One thing I have noticed is that the tapping feeling seems to diminish now when I put the bike in gear. Stick it back into neutral and the feeling comes back..?

Took the bike for a really good spin today... AND MAN WAS IT A HOOT! :BLAA:

I love this bike!

I'll be keeping an eye on the fuel consumption, but after I filled up with 95 unleaded premium I did 200 kms on 10 litres, which is pretty darn good IMO (country road, free way and some city riding). I'm wondering if the fuel the dealer put in the bike was just crap or something.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy. The bike is soooo much fun to ride - so stable and sure-footed through the twisties!

ebk02

Reaction score
Visit site
It definitly shouldn't have any KNOCKING felt thru the pegs or bars... The engines are known for tapping noises, some vibrations but not knocking...

IMHO, it almost sounds like a connecting rod is knocking which is NOT good..

Can you upload an audio/video from each side of the engine, fairly close, it should be audible...

I gather you bought it from a dealer, does it have a warranty?

I'd be bringing it to either that shop, or better yet, another TRUSTED shop and have it checked... Should it be a rod, IMHO, I'd be picking another bike as its not cheap to fix, (extremly involved, that's also if the mechanic is worth a crap) or a new (used motor). You don't want that rod letting loose under way as it will likly LOCK UP YOUR MOTOR and thus your rear wheel (again, extremly dangerous).. I'd get it looked at ASAP....

If there is no noise along with the feeling of the knock, I doubt a rod is culprit. How about out of sync injectors? would cause an uneven idle but barely noticeable at running speeds.
BTW, my idle is at 950~1000, and is smooth as silk. Keeping idle speed low helps to keep bike cooler in stop and go traffic.

ebk02

Reaction score
Visit site
OK here's a video of the engine idling. It's up to temperature after just taking it for a quick spin.

As you listen to the engine there is a constant noise that kind of sounds like a train. You hear it especially from 33:00 seconds and 1:00. This is the sound that accompanies the "pulsing" feeling that comes through especially the left peg. Can also be felt slightly in the bars and in the swing arm/rear hugger.

To me the sound seems like a normal engine sound and if I couldn't feel it through the chassis I wouldn't be concerned.

As I said earlier, the pulsing feeling disappears as the revs go above 1500 rpm and there's absolutely no sign of it anywhere in the rev range while riding.

Maybe I'm being a little paranoid - but you know what it's like with a new bike.

Click here for video

Really appreciate any replies.

Just listened to video - that is definitely not a rod knock. Could be some lash in transmission gear train. That bike is gonna run a long time.:thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the dealer is not concerned with it being mechanical fault which shortens its longevity, I like the idea of them extending the warranty. Good luck with that tho!

As you mention, these bikes can be sitting for some time, and the fuel could get a tad flat which may hurt the mpg. Did you ever opt to remove the filter and open it up? Drain the oil into a clean pan and see what comes out? ALL good piece of mind for $25. And if you take those findings to the dealer, well - it could be BIG deal or even change the noise just by changing the oil!!

Take a look at this: mine is a bit of thrasher and there was nothing in the filter!
http://www.600riders.com/forum/gara...-you-preach-cutting-open-your-oil-filter.html

As said, at low RPMs the gear box is very noisy. Chain tension plays a huge roll in noise too as does proper maintenance (I know your concern is when the bikes is stationary).

Glad you like it and I hope it serves you well going forward!

KmofugginD

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds more like an exhaust rumble due to the *timing* (hence the train likeness.). Perhaps a small exhaust leak, exhaust valve on the edge of spec or slightly out of spec, maladjusted throttle bodies causing a slight variance in pressures etc. Mine feels like it has that same "note" but not as pronounced.