New FZ6 Owner... seeking advice.

crowdaoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all, new to owning a street bike. Decided on getting an FZ6, something about the design caught my eye. Was able to pick up a 2006 for 3600$ so thought it would be a worthwhile purchase. Anyways I had a few questions:

1) When bike has been sitting/is cool. The oil lvl is about 1/8th of an inch up from the minimum on the dipstick... is that normal or should i add more? and what kind of oil do I need to get for my bike?

2) The rear brake fluid also is near the low indicator, but the front brake fluid indicator is just darkened looking and I can't really see a lvl at all. Any advice?

3) The blue fluid, behind the engine, think its engine coolant? Maybe? It is right on the low lvl while cold, but I noticed it gets to about halfway between the low and high lvls when bike is running. Do I need to add anything to that/if so what?

4) Chain tension seems a lil slack, about 3" of play from the top to the bottom. Can I go ahead and tighten this a bit keeping it carefully in alignment? My friend said I may need a torque wrench for tightening it down to specs... how necessary is it to ensure the 85 ft-lbs or whatever the axle needs is reached?

5) There is some front fairing damage from the previous owner who had it fall over in his garage :(. Was thinking about replacing some of the parts (though I think thats a lot of money). Can't really find a good place to look up those parts listings and costs. Any help here? I was also debating getting a different front altogether. Maybe make the bike look even more naked... but how does that work out with remounting of the sped/tac, wiring headlights, turn signals, etc and how much would all of that cost? I guess this 5th point is what I'm thinking bout the most as 1-4 I may just have the yamaha shop here locally fix those up for me. So any advice on replacing or putting a different front end/fairing on a bike and how much time/$ is involved and what options I might have would be outstanding!!

Thank you all very much. Look forward to joining the Fz6 community here. Loven my bike so far!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First, :welcome: and congrats!

Let's go over your concerns...

1. Oil, was that reading on the side or center stand? On the center stand, it should be at the full level of the dipstick. Since the bike is new to you, I would simply go ahead and change the oil and filter yourself. We have a few threads about how to do this along with a complete list of filters that fit should you search for it.

2. Rear brake fluid, again, side or center stand? This, I would actually check while the bike is level on two wheels. You should be above the low mark.

3. Front brakes - If you totally clean the cover and surrounding area, then take the cleaned cover off, you can peer into the reservoir and add if needed. Given the age of the bike though, this may be a great opportunity to simply bleed both the front and rear brakes completely dry and replace the fluids with new stuff. Buy the spec'd fluid for the bike and be careful about any spills as this stuff is corrosive.

4. Chain slack should be 1.7 to 2.1" on the 10th link visible to you on the bottom. Check it on the center stand with the rear wheel spinning freely. Adjust accordingly, but please be sure to measure known points on both sides before tightening the axle to insure your wheel is aligned properly.

5. We have a great deal of threads in the mod section here with many different alternatives that folks have installed on their bikes for a nekkid conversion. We've got a plethora of information, advice, how-tos, video and pictures and a great bunch of guys willing to talk you through any problems.

Enjoy the bike after you've put your mind at ease. Doing all of this maintenance yourself will remove any doubts about a used bike and allow you to really enjoy the ride. :thumbup:

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
5) There is some front fairing damage from the previous owner who had it fall over in his garage :(. Was thinking about replacing some of the parts (though I think thats a lot of money). Can't really find a good place to look up those parts listings and costs. Any help here? I was also debating getting a different front altogether. Maybe make the bike look even more naked... but how does that work out with remounting of the sped/tac, wiring headlights, turn signals, etc and how much would all of that cost? I guess this 5th point is what I'm thinking bout the most as 1-4 I may just have the yamaha shop here locally fix those up for me. So any advice on replacing or putting a different front end/fairing on a bike and how much time/$ is involved and what options I might have would be outstanding!!

Heres a couple places I use to look up parts.

Ronayers.com Fiche Desktop Motorcycle Yamaha
Motorcycle Parts|ATV Parts|Honda|Kawasaki|Suzuki|Yamaha|Dealer|Tires|Repair Manuals|Wholesale Discount Prices
Yamaha OEM Parts, Yamaha OEM Motorcycle Parts - BikeBandit.com

crowdaoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the helpful tips and links. Definitely glad I decided to search out a forum for my bike :)

Appreciate the replies!