New from NC

Sburke

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm new around here but not completely new to riding. This will be my fourth year riding, not a vet by any means-but I've owned a lot of bikes in that time. I just recently picked my 06 fz6 up a little under a week ago and it's the most comfortable bike I've ever owned! I did my research but couldn't find a 07. The 06 I purchased had a little under 5k miles and is literally like new, super clean and had brand new conti motions which I also love. My only gripe with the bike is the soft suspension but I didn't purchase the bike with hopes it would be comparable to my r6, although I enjoy the fz6 on the street more than the r6.

I just took the bike on a 5 hour round trip through some mountain twistys yesterday, and it performed lovely. Before the trip the bike had fresh yamalube in it but the shifting was a little notchy, with only roughly 5k miles I figured it was probably just the oil. Change it out with Mobil 1 4t and what a difference, butter shifts that whole 5 hour ride. Very precise trans on such a low buck bike. I also prefer the feel of the trans over my r6. Granted my r5 has over 10k hard miles. Cannot be happier with this purchase.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum! :)

Looks like to have an interesting collection of bikes. The suspension softness can be worked out on the FZ6 for relatively low bucks and labor.

Sburke

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:to our great forum! :)

Looks like to have an interesting collection of bikes. The suspension softness can be worked out on the FZ6 for relatively low bucks and labor.

Thanks!

It really doesn't bother me much, shockingly. It did well in the mountains, but the roads were pretty well paved. Digging deep into corners with road imperfections might be hairy on the fz.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

if you have $200 lying around and can do the work yourself i would really recommend changing the forksprings and fork oil, it really transforms the bike!

Most people use the racetech springs, i have done it and am really happy i did so!

Also, my bike came with Mobil 1 oil when i bought it and i felt it was very clunky, switched to Motul 7100 and it really smoothed things out a lot, might be worth trying...

Sburke

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome!

if you have $200 lying around and can do the work yourself i would really recommend changing the forksprings and fork oil, it really transforms the bike!

Most people use the racetech springs, i have done it and am really happy i did so!

Also, my bike came with Mobil 1 oil when i bought it and i felt it was very clunky, switched to Motul 7100 and it really smoothed things out a lot, might be worth trying...

It has Mobil 1, I swapped out the yamalube that was in it. Shifts great with the Mobil 1.

Looks like I will be going that route, 200$ will be a bargain if it heals the super soft stock setup. Currently out of state with the bike right now, love this thing.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
It has Mobil 1, I swapped out the yamalube that was in it. Shifts great with the Mobil 1.

Looks like I will be going that route, 200$ will be a bargain if it heals the super soft stock setup. Currently out of state with the bike right now, love this thing.

What i was trying to say is that IMO Mobil 1 didn't work that well, it was very clunky and rough, Motul 7100 feels a lot better.

If you find it smooth with Mobil 1 you are in for a treat with Motul.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What i was trying to say is that IMO Mobil 1 didn't work that well, it was very clunky and rough, Motul 7100 feels a lot better.

If you find it smooth with Mobil 1 you are in for a treat with Motul.

My next change is 7100 for the first time.

Currently 2 qts of 5100 and one of Mobil one 4T. Still shifts, runs fine.

Looking forward to see how well the 7100 does..

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
My next change is 7100 for the first time.

Currently 2 qts of 5100 and one of Mobil one 4T. Still shifts, runs fine.

Looking forward to see how well the 7100 does..

Please do report back!

I hesitated between the 5100 and the 7100, but went straight to the 7100.
If there is no noticeable difference it might be worth saving the money and going back down to the 5100.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Please do report back!

I hesitated between the 5100 and the 7100, but went straight to the 7100.
If there is no noticeable difference it might be worth saving the money and going back down to the 5100.

I've always ran 5100 in the bike(short of my current mix), its never seen FULL synthetic, much less 7100. Got another 600 miles or so to go but yes, I'll post back once its in and my thoughts.

As a side note, I was (and already bought) Mobil One(full synthetic), MC specific oil. Some folks here, strongly recommended NOT to use it (harder shifts, etc). I returned it and got the 7100 (bout the same price locally).

I like the Motel 5100, again no issues, figured the 7100 would be better. Didn't want to put in Mobil 1 in if there was any doubt in its performance and have to dump it...:rolleyes: