new.....few questions

06_fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
first just want to say sorry wasnt sure where to post so please dont kill me.... Im looking into buying a fz6 soon and i found one but i have some questions for you. This will be my first bike have ridden a fz6,r6 and gsxr600 but like the feel, comfort of the fz6 so thats what im going with. first question i have is 23k miles on a fz6 a lot? im looking at a bike and the price almost seems too good its a 06 with 23k miles clean title the seller was asking $2800 a couple months ago and now has dropped it to $2000. For a first bike seems good but i dont want to spend the money and have it crap out on me a month from now so need to know what to look for when i go look at the bike? also what to look for when test riding it? talked a little with the owner on the phone says he was the third owner and he knew the other two owners says bike has been really cared for looks good in pictures i was sent. so what is the forums opinion on the bike? thanks for any input

xgrafcorex

arachnobiker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not sure what the high end of mileage is for these bikes. I have a 2009 and am almost at 5000 miles..though the bike was in storage for a couple years.

Go check it out visually and if you don't consider yourself a good judge, bring someone you know that knows a lot about bikes or works on them. I wouldn't put too much weight on what the owner says about the previous owners, as their primary goal is to sell the bike. Not to say everyone is a liar, but you just never know.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Honestly, I'm not sure what the high end of mileage is for these bikes. I have a 2009 and am almost at 5000 miles..though the bike was in storage for a couple years.

Go check it out visually and if you don't consider yourself a good judge, bring someone you know that knows a lot about bikes or works on them. I wouldn't put too much weight on what the owner says about the previous owners, as their primary goal is to sell the bike. Not to say everyone is a liar, but you just never know.

+1 on the above.

That mileage isn't outragous IF it was taken care of. It's due soon to have had the valves checked soon(and possibly adjusted), you might use that for bargining.

Chain/sprockets are normally worn by then (un-less they were replaced), look for signs of the chain NOT straightening out and any loud whine, its a sign they need replacement .

Peek inside the fuel tank for any signed of rust. Also listen for any odd noises, especially on the right side of the engine (cam chain tensioner). The cooling fan also tends to catch rocks/pebbles, lock up and fry. Make sure it spins freely, it should kick on I believe around 215F. Yamaha is pretty proud of that part $ wise.

Peek at the coolant as well as the oil. If there's any mixing, RUN AWAY!

And yes, folks often don't tell the whole story when selling a bike. Two recent threads prove that (search in mechanical problems, etc).

BTW, this is about the most friendly forum you'll find with MANY, very knowledgeable folks here who can help with about anything...

Last edited:

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't imagine a non-wrecked FZ6 going for less than $2k, but that's just me. In addition to the advice above, check the tires' age and condition. With 23k on the clock they won't be original, but they could need replacing.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
im going to take my friend that owned a fz6 before to help me look over the bike.

Good call. Bikes can be trashed very quickly or last well over 100k. Check it over carefully.

Make a list of everything you need to check and price out everything it needs.

Expect to change all the fluids including fork oil and fresh tires.

There are lots of FZ6s out there. Be sure this is the right one for you.

06_fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for all the input guys..... what does everyone think about the price is it too good to not have a clean title?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for all the input guys..... what does everyone think about the price is it too good to not have a clean title?

If you can't get a clear title (or pay it off at the bank when doing the transaction) RUN, its a parts bike. If you can't register it, its useless...

Ask Skooter65.

Last edited:

06_fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
never owned a bike before is it just like a car title where it says brands on the title and it should say none? if i buy the bike it will be cash so wont be doing anything with a bank. Is there any kind of site like carfax that you can look up bike titles? sorry about being a noob to all this

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
never owned a bike before is it just like a car title where it says brands on the title and it should say none? if i buy the bike it will be cash so wont be doing anything with a bank. Is there any kind of site like carfax that you can look up bike titles? sorry about being a noob to all this

I don't know about Oregon but yes, in most if not all cases, its a motor vehicle and you DO need a title(just like a car).
The title more than likely is the same as a car title, except it'll list Yamaha, the VIN#, owners name, address, etc on it. It may need to be notorized upon purchase too.

Call the Oregon MV department tomorrow and ascertain for certain what you need for purchase/registration.

I've never heard of a carfax type of site for bikes. If it did exist, it would only show whats been REPORTED anyway.

Have your buddy look at it, if in any doubt, take lots of pictures (close up) and alot of folks here can pick out any previous crash damage, etc.

A trusted mechanic would be worth the investment.

Last edited:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased my bike from a forum member here and it wasn't until a couple days after purchase that either of us knew it wasn't "clean." That is, the DMV would not transfer the title into my name as it had a lien note from the seller's financing bank. Thankfully, the previous owner was not trying to sell me something he didn't own. He paid it off and either never received the clear title or lost it... just a misunderstanding that was worked out over email/mail.

A 6/7k bike from 2006 and through three owners should have been paid off a while ago, and the title should have no liens. Just check.

On to the bike in question:
23k miles is not much for this bike... there are members here that have hit 100k. However, it's more than 10k, or 5k, or 0 and what you save on the front end will generally have to be made up on the back end. As noted, if everything seems mechanically sound, you'll be getting a good bike for a low price, but will have to handle the increased maintenance items that don't start popping up until the 20s. You should have your own tools, be capable of turning a wrench, have a place to work on it, OR, have a friend with all this stuff that accepts beer as payment. :)

I'm slightly concerned about it being the third owner. More concerned that he couldn't move it at 2,800 and it is now 2,000. If you can swing it, the average price for this bike I've seen is 3,500. For that, you'll get a 1st/2nd owner with 3-12k miles and possibly new tires.

Don't be rushed - these bikes are traded often within most parts of the country. Get something you'll be happy with for years.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks pretty clean overall (needs a bath).

He likely modded the rear end as there's NO rear turn signals on it, check on that.

Has some after market goodies on it, windshield, levers, frame sliders, reflectors on the forks and rear are missing (no biggon unless you have inspections out there).

I'm not sure about the headlights, might be aftermarket/modded ones(HID's).

Don't see any frame damage or tip over damage, chain looks like it needs some cleaning and lubing (as best I can tell from that distance). If you can get him to shoot a close up picture of the rear sprocket itself and chain would be nice.. I'm curious as what the cord, in the last picture, hanging over the right mirror is for, charger?

Overall, doesn't look bad..

Last edited:

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Found the ad. :D I can't see anything wrong with it.

The big mod is the bi-xenon headlights. Make sure you're comfortable with that. You could ask who did that work and what replacement bulbs it would take- not really familiar with this mod.

Ask if he can throw in the box of stock parts he has during the sale.

How tall are you? If you're over 5'9ish you're going to be eating a lot of wind which can get very tiring and noisy for some riders. Aftermarket windshield options are really limited on the gen 1 FZ6.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
He likely modded the rear end as there's NO rear turn signals on it, check on that.

Huh? :D

3t83Fc3q65I75rf5s2d793c28dabeeaf31a1c.jpg

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Buying anything used usually involves some amount of risk. The idea is to minimize your exposure to unforeseen circumstances. I bought my 2008 in the summer of 2009 as a previous model but was still in a crate at a central warehouse at the time, so I considered it new. The mileage is not a major concern unless it was not well cared for during the period of multiple owners. For sure there have some mods over time - windshield, sliders, tank pad, levers, a headlight mod with HID's +? I do not have that particular mod, but instead opted for the dual headlight (Motogiro). I would have some concern however that the electical system has not been compromised in any way (for example outlet for Nav system). One other thing from the pics, I am not sure of the tires matching, but I am a little older so my eyesight may be fading and what is up with that yellow oil filter? I definitely would switch that to a black one (K&N) or something else at the next oil change interval.:rolleyes:
In the end you and whom ever you bring with you need to look the bike over, maybe perform the T-CLOCS checklist and take it for a ride and make sure it accelerates, brakes and turns as it should without any problems.
Good Luck! :rockon:

06_fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
thank a lot guys ill let you know how it goes this weekend hopefully everything is good to go and im riding soon