New change

firstbike

Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted to know if I should change my change. It has some rust on it or is there a way to remove the rust. I'm a new rider so any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
From that pic the chain and sprocket looks dry with no lube / wax on it. i would give it a good clean with a de-greaser like wd40 and a nice stipple brush and then wash/dry of de-greaser and lube with correct chain lube. Should sort your problem out. Other than the rust the chain doesnt look in bad repair so should be fine

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree get a wire brush to it to remove those rusty spots and follow up with a good chain lube.

I can't tell the condition of your sprocket and chain but I see your bike is a pre 2007 so depending in miles you might get an opinion from a knowledgeable person near you on those conditions.

Recommend paying attention to the chain,sprocket and you hands/fingers. Never clean and lube with engine running or any chance of the chain being powered. I caught my finger on between the sprocket mounting bolt and the swing arm on one of my bikes while turning the wheel with the other hand. :eek:

Where safety glasses because wire brushes can fling crap at you.
You're good to go! :D

Last edited:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys I'll get on cleaning the chain. Is there a right way to go about and cleaning.
This will show you how to clean chain .... :thumbup: :rockon: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zxbKr73vDQ]How To Clean & Lube Your Motorcycle Chain - YouTube[/ame]

D

Dave.TX

Don't get a blond woman to do it!!! Ha ha ha ha...

For reals, once clean keep the chain lubed. Some do it weekly, I try to do it at least twice per month. I don't use a lot but enough.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the video and is it safe to spray the much on the chain. I'll post some pics when I'm done

Why would it not be safe? I never heard of anyone losing a chain because they lubed it too much.... One tip is to lube inside the chain not outside.... Outside lube fligs off more for obvious reasons...

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ohe thing I noticed not addressed in the video, using the Maxima chain cleaner, per the instructions, your supposed to rinse off the residue with a light stream of water...

I like the Maxima cleaner and when used this way, goes considerably further and the chain is spotless..

Also, if buying the Grunge brush (I have one as shown in the video however it broke), they are now making the brush out of ALUMINUM. Once I contacted the manufacturer, they replaced my broke brush with new aluminum one, excellent customer service (I drilled the hole in the aluminum one for storage purposes). A very usefull tool... (I did, prior to getting the new aluminum brush, repair the old one with a piece of bent aluminum)

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This will show you how to clean chain .... :thumbup: :rockon: How To Clean & Lube Your Motorcycle Chain - YouTube

I have to say she could catch her fingers as she wipes the chain when she's spinning the wheel. I would suggest turning the wheel to the section of chain and wipe back and forth. The spinning is faster but eventually opens up the opportunity for an injury.

Also why is she drenching her tire and rotor with petroleum products?!?!

Hold the rag behind a section of chain you're spraying to prevent over spray. I have a roll of that cheap plastic you get from Home Depot for painting and put plastic on my tire.