New Addition to the (Motorcycle) Family

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled the trigger about a week ago and bought my wife a motorcycle. Got a phenomenal deal on a used 2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, with a little over 13,000kms on it. It has a Kuryakyn backrest, engine guard, highway pegs and mirrors. Also, a K&N air filter, new Bridgestone Exedra Max rubber (front and rear) and a set of chrome saddle bag frames with leather Willie & Max saddlebags. We also received an National Cycle Dakota 4.5 windshield with chrome mounts, and a pink "Breast Cancer" limited edition UltraGard Classic motorcycle cover. All this for only $2800 Cdn. SWEET! :D We have since installed a Kuryakyn 12V power point for the GPS and cellphone.

I've had my wife out a few times in the parking lot already, and she's starting to get the hang of the clutch. She has never driven a standard before. I have her enrolled in a "Gearing Up" course at the local community college for early September. She will not be able to ride on the road until after this course (due to our insurance company's stipulation) which gives me the rest of the summer to teach her the parking lot techniques to prep her for the MC course.

The best part is, I think she has now officially been infected with the MC bug. It's hard for me to get her to stop practicing after an hour in the parking lot. She's loving it. We originally thought that the 650, weighing 505lbs dry would be too big, but because it's low she can balance it perfectly with both feet comfortably planted. And because it makes 40hp, and 38lbs/ft of torque I'm less worried about the bike 'running away' on her. It's pretty forgiving.

Here are a few pics:

View attachment 43791 View attachment 43792 View attachment 43793

View attachment 43794 View attachment 43795 View attachment 43796

I know she's not wearing any gear in the last one, it was a staged pic for her facebook profile. She has, and wears all her gear every time she is riding pillion or practicing in the parking lot.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats great news!

The bike looks sweet and appears to be a perfect fit for her.

From the smile on her face in that last pic.....Your wallets gonna get A LOT lighter:BLAA:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
43796d1342790295t-new-addition-motorcycle-family-2012-06-24-16.36.50.jpg

I think her smile says it all, very nice!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fantastic!! I don't know if you guys have the same rules as we do when it comes to safety courses, but here students can show up any weekend as stand-bys and if one of the students does not show up, you get right in!

Take it easy on her for now.. it's very difficult to learn for your significant other.. keep the negativity to a minimum. Definitely practice a whole lot of friction zone. When she's really comfortable with that, start working on power walking.. next would be starting and stopping.. and finally shifting and stopping.. those are the 1st four MSF exercises in the States.

Killer deal on the bike too :thumbup:

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fantastic!! I don't know if you guys have the same rules as we do when it comes to safety courses, but here students can show up any weekend as stand-bys and if one of the students does not show up, you get right in!

Take it easy on her for now.. it's very difficult to learn for your significant other.. keep the negativity to a minimum. Definitely practice a whole lot of friction zone. When she's really comfortable with that, start working on power walking.. next would be starting and stopping.. and finally shifting and stopping.. those are the 1st four MSF exercises in the States.

Killer deal on the bike too :thumbup:

Exactly the same curriculum here. And the only negativity so far has been on her part, when she fails to "get it perfectly"on her first attempt :D We're using the September course in order to give he sufficient time to practice, then be able to focus more on the skills of the course, rather than learning how to start the bike off. Does that make sense? Plus, riding in September significantly reduces this years insurance premium. :thumbup:

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 INFUSE using Tapatalk 2

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We're using the September course in order to give he sufficient time to practice, then be able to focus more on the skills of the course, rather than learning how to start the bike off. Does that make sense? Plus, riding in September significantly reduces this years insurance premium. :thumbup:

On one hand it makes sense, on the other... she may be a little bored in early exercises because she will have a leg up on other students and we have to go at the pace of slowest rider. My suggestion would be to take the course ASAP and THEN practice as much as possible.. but since insurance is involved.. as you were! :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I see opportunity here! Not to drop names but look out for this one and all them spokes!!! :welcome:

You did not notice anything similar to this did you?
43736d1342465819-any-ideas-noise-coming-front-end-cardspokes.jpg
LOL :BLAA: sorry I have no real input..... :rockon: :rockon:

Congrats on the new bike!

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On one hand it makes sense, on the other... she may be a little bored in early exercises because she will have a leg up on other students and we have to go at the pace of slowest rider. My suggestion would be to take the course ASAP and THEN practice as much as possible.. but since insurance is involved.. as you were! :thumbup:

Will take this under consideration. It's funny that you mention the "pace of the slowest rider". I did the same course she will be taking 10 years so now, and they divided us into beginner, intermediate, and 'skilled' groups, then taught to those levels the curriculum. This ensured there was no boredom, and still achieved all the checks in the boxes...

Are they doing things differently now?

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
My dad bought this same bike after he broke his ankle. He loves it because its light and easy to handle. It is a great bike, I've put several hundred miles on it!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Will take this under consideration. It's funny that you mention the "pace of the slowest rider". I did the same course she will be taking 10 years so now, and they divided us into beginner, intermediate, and 'skilled' groups, then taught to those levels the curriculum. This ensured there was no boredom, and still achieved all the checks in the boxes...

Are they doing things differently now?

I'm sure it may run a bit differently in Canada. No splitting here. All 12 riders are always in one group.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Things may be run differently here now as well. I'm recalling a course from 10 years ago. I seem to recall the class size being significantly larger than 12 also... Anyways, hopefully, if nothing else, this pre-course practice will boost her confidence.

Last night (session 5) we graduated to "power walking."

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My dad bought this same bike after he broke his ankle. He loves it because its light and easy to handle. It is a great bike, I've put several hundred miles on it!

I won't lie, if put a few kms on the bike myself already... it's smooth and comfortable. I think my Fizzer is getting jealous. ;)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pulled the trigger about a week ago and bought my wife a motorcycle. Got a phenomenal deal on a used 2007 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, with a little over 13,000kms on it. It has a Kuryakyn backrest, engine guard, highway pegs and mirrors. Also, a K&N air filter, new Bridgestone Exedra Max rubber (front and rear) and a set of chrome saddle bag frames with leather Willie & Max saddlebags. We also received an National Cycle Dakota 4.5 windshield with chrome mounts, and a pink "Breast Cancer" limited edition UltraGard Classic motorcycle cover. All this for only $2800 Cdn. SWEET! :D We have since installed a Kuryakyn 12V power point for the GPS and cellphone.

I've had my wife out a few times in the parking lot already, and she's starting to get the hang of the clutch. She has never driven a standard before. I have her enrolled in a "Gearing Up" course at the local community college for early September. She will not be able to ride on the road until after this course (due to our insurance company's stipulation) which gives me the rest of the summer to teach her the parking lot techniques to prep her for the MC course.

The best part is, I think she has now officially been infected with the MC bug. It's hard for me to get her to stop practicing after an hour in the parking lot. She's loving it. We originally thought that the 650, weighing 505lbs dry would be too big, but because it's low she can balance it perfectly with both feet comfortably planted. And because it makes 40hp, and 38lbs/ft of torque I'm less worried about the bike 'running away' on her. It's pretty forgiving.

Here are a few pics:

View attachment 43791 View attachment 43792 View attachment 43793

View attachment 43794 View attachment 43795 View attachment 43796

I know she's not wearing any gear in the last one, it was a staged pic for her facebook profile. She has, and wears all her gear every time she is riding pillion or practicing in the parking lot.
Delighted for you both, I wish here a long safe and happy riding career.

Neil