Neutral Ticking Noise

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I have had my fazer for under a week and am hearing a noise which may be normal. When I start my bike in neutral everything is fine. When I come to a stop and shift into neutral as soon as I release the clutch lever i hear a ticking/rattling sound. I thought this was strange so I grabbed the clutch and the noise stops, release it and the sound starts again.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this normal? My brother in-law (more experienced than me says that it's nothing. This doesn't seem right to me. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

SOUTHERNFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ticking

You May Be Hearing The Lifters Ticking After The Engine Warms Up. Mine Did It Too. When I Changed To Syn. Oil It Was Not As Load But It Will Not Hurt Anything.

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
No I don't think it is the lifters as the bike has had adequate time to warm up. It will do this when I start it as well as after riding for 20minutes. It only does it when shifted into neutral and I release the clutch. I'd hate to take my bike back to the dealership and have them start tinkering with it. It only has 50miles on the odometer.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the noise stop when you pull the clutch in? My engine sounds quite agricultural with the clutch out on tick over. My dealer said that was normal for a fazer. I don't know. Mine also has a tapping noise at low revs when the engine is under load. I thought it was the cam tensioner. I only have 4000 miles on mine. Its a bit of a concern though.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
The noise is normal

I am not sure the exact cause of the noise, but i do know that 05 to 07 all make that noise. It only happens when you ride it for a bit and then shift into neutral. All 3 years have done the same thing. Like southernfz6 said, switching to syn oil really helped out, but you can still hear it on mine. But, like any yamaha tranny they have to be aggressivly shifted and they all make a loud clack sound from 1st to 2nd. Thats just yamaha though. None of the other brands seem to have that clunky of a gearbox.

Sorry for the rant.....your bike is perfectly fine, have fun and be safe!:thumbup:

brows141

Naked Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn it!!! I was about to go back to the dealer and kick some ***. :D

I had a bad feeling that this noise was normal. Anyway at least they won't be disecting my bike. ;)

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So are we saying that in general the O5-07 models are noisy? My mate has an 07 model and it is quite as a mouse in comparison.

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I have had my fazer for under a week and am hearing a noise which may be normal. When I start my bike in neutral everything is fine. When I come to a stop and shift into neutral as soon as I release the clutch lever i hear a ticking/rattling sound. I thought this was strange so I grabbed the clutch and the noise stops, release it and the sound starts again.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this normal? My brother in-law (more experienced than me says that it's nothing. This doesn't seem right to me. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Its normal I have had dirt bikes, a couple street bikes that have done it. My r1 does it now.