Neutral light - (bad contact after getting wet)

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
After washing the bike, the neutral light comes on when I pull the clutch in. I'm sure that's not supposed to be the case? After a day or so it stops doing it.

I think that the neutral sensor gets a little wet and causes a bad contact. It goes off when you hit bite point and its fine when in gear.

Can you confirm that it's not supposed to come on when you pull in the clutch and perhaps point me in the right direction on where it is located so I can clean the contacts / ensure I don't get it wet in future?

phranK2k11

Chat Camper :)
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup i get the same thing.....even if it is rare that I'm off the FZ long enough to wash her :spank:

I was totally freaked out by it at first but now I am more surprised when it doesn't act up after a wash.

The fix is probably some dielectric grease (or whatever its called) in the loose fitting connection to keep water out.

I guess it's "normal" though

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
ya ive never really thought twice about it seeing how it dose it every time like clockwork if i wash it or ride in the rain, if it started doing it randomly in the dry then i would persue it

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you look from the left side of the bike (as you sit on it), forward of the exhaust pipe (as it goes vertical) you'll see a sensor screwed into the rear of the engine block with some wires coming off it. The wires run upward. It connects, I believe, under the gas tank to the main harness. That should be the neutral safety switch.

Wether its shorting there or at the connector when wet, as stated above, some di-lectric grease should solve the problem. With time, if it keeps grounding out with moisture, it'll corrode and need cleaning/replacement.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My 07 FZ has never activated when wet, neither has my 04 FJR (same set up), the FJR's seen much more rain and is 7 years old... The FZ, 4 years old..

(SW Florida usually see's moonsons(1-3" is not unusual in a single downpour) of rain during the rainy season in the afternoon)

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe its something on the 04-05s and for some reason i think it has something to do with the speedo itself because i can.just get my speedo wet and.it will.do.it

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk