Need some gear and accessories

turbo311

Icanhazkustumyoozertitle?
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going crazy with all the choices for gear!

Jacket: I want a good summer jacket, don't even know where to start.

Gloves: Got Alpinestar SP-X gloves but they aren't as comfortable as leather and not as vented as they seemed. I had mesh Frank Thomas ones but the mesh started fraying. Alpinestar has the SMX-2 Air Carbon mesh but I'm afraid of fraying. The Alpinestar Octane S-moto or SPS leather looked good but don't know how well vented they are.

Tank Bag: Got a Cargo Sport tank bag on sale for $69 at Cycle Gear, but its reviews are like 50%. I will prob return it if I can find a better one. I want a good tank bag that's not $150+.

Pants: And are there any good denim/kevlar jeans with the knee pads that aren't $100+???

Frame sliders: I like the Motovation ones. Worth $80?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Tank Bag: Got a Cargo Sport tank bag on sale for $69 at Cycle Gear, but its reviews are like 50%. I will prob return it if I can find a better one. I want a good tank bag that's not $150+.

trex frame sliders
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/30150-t-rex-frame-sliders-stock.html

i have Motovation. not worth $80 for some freaking delrin.

tank bag
review here:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/prod...-streak-magnetic-tank-bag-ssc-110-review.html

bought from here. cheapest i could find. no problems with order.
Pro1 Powersports - Motorcycle Luggage Helmets Sissybars Accessories Riding Gear & More!
great bag :thumbup:

dont go cheap when it comes to safety gear. buy good gear. don't forget to get decent boots. no timbo's

Last edited:

turbo311

Reaction score
Visit site
trex frame sliders
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/30150-t-rex-frame-sliders-stock.html

i have Motovation. not worth $80 for some freaking delrin.

tank bag
review here:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/prod...-streak-magnetic-tank-bag-ssc-110-review.html

bought from here. cheapest i could find. no problems with order.
Pro1 Powersports - Motorcycle Luggage Helmets Sissybars Accessories Riding Gear & More!
great bag :thumbup:

dont go cheap when it comes to safety gear. buy good gear. don't forget to get decent boots. no timbo's

The Motovation site specifically says they're made of nylon, not delrin.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for new gloves myself. I currently have Alpinestars Octane - shortys - need a pair of gauntlet. I like FIVE brand myself, but at AUS$350, can't quite justify that at the moment after just buying all my Rizoma gear and Pazzos.

I'll also be on the lookout for a new summer jacket next season.

As for jeans, wouldn't ride without my Draggin jeans EVER. @AUS$200-270. But you can sometimes get them on Ebay at a much better price :D

turbo311

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for new gloves myself. I currently have Alpinestars Octane - shortys - need a pair of gauntlet. I like FIVE brand myself, but at AUS$350, can't quite justify that at the moment after just buying all my Rizoma gear and Pazzos.

I'll also be on the lookout for a new summer jacket next season.

As for jeans, wouldn't ride without my Draggin jeans EVER. @AUS$200-270. But you can sometimes get them on Ebay at a much better price :D

Someone on my local forum is saying that even the kevlar reinforced jeans are still useless.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You're gonna get people saying good/bad things all the time about everything.

On a local forum here, one guy said his jeans turned around on him - I'd say THEY DIDN'T FIT YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE :shakehead:

They would definitely be better than wearing standard jeans, but not as good as leather.

turbo311

Reaction score
Visit site
You're gonna get people saying good/bad things all the time about everything.

On a local forum here, one guy said his jeans turned around on him - I'd say THEY DIDN'T FIT YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE :shakehead:

They would definitely be better than wearing standard jeans, but not as good as leather.

Well yeah, too big is too big, for any gear. The guy's saying Olympia textile pants are sturdier than any denim. He's probably right. I've seen the jeans for $100+ and thats too much, even with knee pads if textile will hold up better for less. I'm just worried about comfort and ventilation with textile in the heat.

turbo311

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, well as important as pants are, I still need some more opinions on the jacket, tank bag, and gloves!

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
great fitting pair are the icon stealth or the perforated versions of the stealth (i think those are called the pursuit)

they are great fitting and look awesome and they dont cost much.

but they wont protect as much as proper gauntlets would. i guess youd get ample abrasion resitance for your hand itself but in the event of a slide youd mess that bit of your forearm up for not having gauntlets. also theres more impact resisitance in gauntlets.

ive crashed in both. the cut off icons left my hand sore and the gloves almost pulled apart at the seams and it wasnt even a bad crash.

if you want to be sure your gloves make it thru a big crash....get proper gauntlets. these are the perfect pair as there is nothing conceivably wrong with them, great fit, comfort, and protection. and they breathe well as well as offer a bit of weather protection when things get wet/cold which i assume they dont in cali.

Icon Merc Gloves - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my tank bag, it's a Cortech Mini Tank Bag, it has a map pouch that is removable, and fits everything I need. It's not that expensive and it is magnetic which makes it easy to take with you when you park. I also like finding a filing cabnet or a steal door to put it on when I'm at work. :BLAA:

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
here is a pic from the Cortech website. I have a black one, but it looks like this. The top part comes off, and it is expandable too.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
I suggest trying to find a store that sells alot of gear and try everything on if you can. Nothing sucks more than having good gear that doesn't fit right. With that being said, I found a cycle gear shop by my house and still couldn't find anything that fit... esp the pants. I guess the places don't carry anything in "tall" sizes.

-The best gloves I've found were some cheap Icon Twenty Niner Gloves. Their the only ones that I've used that don't make my hands go numb, and they fit perfectly.
-For the jacket I went with a Cortech GX Sport Series 2. The main reason I got this one was cause it came in a 'tall' size. It fits great, has a removable thermal liner and vents really well. I got it sight unseen and I'm happy with it.
-Have you thought about a tail bag instead of a tank bag? I've been eyeing this one.
http://www.600riders.com/forum/product-reviews/11300-axio-tail-bag-review.html

turbo311

Reaction score
Visit site
There's a gigantic Cycle Gear store here but I'm pretty much only going to use them to try stuff on. Their satisfaction guarantee is great, but their prices aren't as good as they think, and they're usually idiots. Today I called to ask when they closed so I could return the gloves after work, they said 6, when I showed up at 540 sign said closed at 5. I'd rather buy from my local forum sponsor or a sponsor of this forum.

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site

I got the Motovation front fork and swing arm sliders (and a different brand frame slider). So far I haven't had any use for them (knock on wood), so I can't really say if they are worth the money spent. I bought the Motovation sliders mainly based on feedback from this forum and the FZ6 forum at sportbikes.net.

One thing I find strange about the Motovation sliders, though, is that only one of the pairs had the Motovation name printed on them. Can't remember which pair right now, but that's not important. I ended up coloring over the Motovation name on the pair that had it, just to make the front and rear sliders both look the same.

BTW, I share your frustration regarding the magnitude of available equipment for the FZ6. There is so much to choose from, and still I can't seem to find just the right stuff for me... ;)

turbo311

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the Motovation front fork and swing arm sliders (and a different brand frame slider). So far I haven't had any use for them (knock on wood), so I can't really say if they are worth the money spent. I bought the Motovation sliders mainly based on feedback from this forum and the FZ6 forum at sportbikes.net.

One thing I find strange about the Motovation sliders, though, is that only one of the pairs had the Motovation name printed on them. Can't remember which pair right now, but that's not important. I ended up coloring over the Motovation name on the pair that had it, just to make the front and rear sliders both look the same.

BTW, I share your frustration regarding the magnitude of available equipment for the FZ6. There is so much to choose from, and still I can't seem to find just the right stuff for me... ;)

Just ordered the Motovation frame sliders, the other ones I'll get later. I just don't want to rely on some cheap Chinese product, I'll spend $20-40 more for some assurance and a company that stands behind their products, it's really not much to ask for.

I'm not surprised that your other ones were branded only on one side, many things automotive or motorcycle are branded asymmetrically on purpose. It wouldn't bug me.

Anyway, got a Renthall handle bar at a good price from my local forum sponsor WCM. Just gotta find my gloves and jacket/armor. The pants I'll wait until I have some money for. I'm afraid they'll be too hot in the summer, the textile ones anyway.

Wyotech kid

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a Cortech GX-Air about 3 years ago. Done me wonders for as a summer jacket, let in plenty of air. Inner liner has done me proud in the rain and cool days. They've updated that jacket now so I'm sure if it will still do good as the one I still have. Haven't hit the ground in it to know if the material is good enough to hold up in a crash but it has leather back, shoulder and forearm protection with extra padding in the main areas. Bought it for $120 but I dont think thats the going price nowadays. Also got a set of their full length gloves as well. They work and got plenty of armor around it and in all the right places. But the stitchings not up to par as its fraying at this time.

Pants I got Tour Master Venture pants, great for cold weather and rain, summer I don't where them. TOO HOT!!

If you want quality and don't mind paying a little extra for it RS Taichi has my vote. Great gloves and jackets and suits I think, never owned any of their items but when I start working again thats who will get my business.

sportbiketrackgear.com has reviews on alot jackets and gloves and they have decent prices. :thumbup: