Need opinions from all who that have upgraded suspension

WatchThisPlay

Reaction score
Visit site
It's time for me to upgrade my suspension come winter time. What do yall think is the best route for me to take? I've read a lot about people converting to r6 forks or getting a suspension kit. I'm 6 1 about 220 lbs(losing weight so that might be a factor) and ride pretty aggressively in the twistys. Stock suspension isn't cutting it. Also if yall think I should go the suspension kit route what brands are reputable. I'm debating between this or upgrading bikes and selling the fz6 in the spring. I love this bike though...

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did, as well as many others, made the upgrade to the R6S forks. Well worth the money. I'll throw out another plug for myself...I do have a set of R6S forks, calipers, and asks for sale, just not listed yet. Pm me if you're interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done the R6S fork swap up front and I did a Penske 8983 in the rear. Great upgrade. Bike feels new. I was contemplating upgrading to a Street Triple R, but this has quenched my need for a while. FZ6 is still a more versatile bike.

Resell the parts when you're done and you won't be out a lot of money. They both hold their value pretty well.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd say its worth it. Return on investment is good as it makes the bike a joy to ride.
Same same - early R6 forks bolt on. Trim fender (S2) and assemble.
Once you ride that for a while, then it becomes apparent the shock is not up to the task. Once these are done its like a whole different bike! Stable, predictable, pick a line and go!

Shop on your terms and parts can be cheap!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you grab used forks, they are somethin like 0.88kg/mm springs stock so you may need some 9.0 or 9.5 up front.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something to consider, for the front end is, air assist forks. The stock springs/spacers are still used. Just added schrader valves to the caps.

I did this mod approx 6 months ago and am very, very happy with it.:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/54803-air-assist-fork-caps.html

Obviously you can't change the dampening rate but the available spring rate is un-limited. It has NOT leaked a pound of air (nor any oil) and tightened up the nose considerably. It also takes some of the load OFF the fork springs (which tend to sag over time).

I run about 14 PSI, which is plenty taught. I started with a slightly higher PSI, but it was a little too tight. Nose dip is nill compared to before

Prior to that, I changed the fork oil to 7.5 weight, I'd probably use at least a 10wt in the future. .

Last edited: