Need brake help...

david223

Reaction score
Visit site
I've searched and read a bunch of threads...

Can someone explain to me how to remove the brake pads from the front calipers?? I have an 06. I found a how-to thread with pics, but it was from an 07, with different calipers.

My problem is that I can't seem to find any retaining clip of the sort I've seen in every Youtube video I've looked at!!

Just looking to remove the pads, I already have everything else apart... Just put on a pair of Power Pilot 2CTs, putting in EBC HH pads and Spiegler SS lines... Just hung up on this ridiculously simple step!

Anybody?

Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
First, have you pushed the pistons in the caliper back using the pad?

They should slide inward toward where the rotor would be if assembled.

There are no retainer clips. Don't hit the front brake lever and you'll want to open the res. and monitor brake fluid levels and then bleed the system with fresh fluid. :D

Last edited:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
There are 2 screws that hold the caliper to the hanger/bracket. Take those out and lift the caliper away from the disc. The 2 brake pads will be sitting there on the hanger/bracket, slide them off. Slide on the new pads, put the caliper back on. Repeat for the other caliper.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Good advise above, I loosen the pins that hold the pads in while the calipers are still mounted. (Between all the heat, and 2 different metals, those pins get "welded" in there.) I usually put a little dab of anti seize grease on the threads before re-install.
And as Giro said, clean 'em real good before you push the pistons in, otherwise you can ruin yer piston seals. I use mah toothbrush, 'n brake cleaner. :thumbup:

Hvae fun :D