need advice quick!!

sdawg17

Reaction score
Visit site
So I got a guy with a 2002 r1 with 20k miles and good condition willing to trade for my 06 fz6 with 36k miles (it's not in the best shape either). His bike is salvage title because of theft recovery, but it's got a new ignition so it works. In exchange for my bike, he's also asking for $1,000, a $240 tv i just bought, my xbox 360 with BF3 and all my games :[ , some oakley shades, and about $200 worth of air guns. I know that stuff's dumb, but I need experienced motorcyclists to give me their opinion on the value of this trade! It's salvage, that's the only thing that could bother me. I bought my fz6 for $2100 and put about $1k into it. It has unknown mileage on registration since original speedo broke, but i know it's around 35k. Is this a good trade?

Thanks

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
If its a salvage title i would say bike for bike and thats all

Sent from my Pocket Rocket with Tapatalk

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed. My older bro picked up a ZX-10R (2004) for only 3k with about 10,000 miles on it a few weeks back (hence me acquiring the FZ6....). There are deals to be had and I don't think this is a good trade considering the salvage title.

sdawg17

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, thanks guys. He's rushing me to do the trade fast too, since he wants to use the $ to buy a gun. I don't really like him and he's a compete squid (no gloves, no gear when we met up :spank: ) but i got to ride the R1 and I was in heaven. I guess I'll wait. I like my xbox anyways :)

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I felt like he was rushing you to do the trade from the first post. It just sounds like a bad idea to me from the way he's acting and the condition the R1 seems to be in.

Reaction score
Visit site
That seems like a rip. I'd take a good look around the bike too. Inside and out. Squids usually dont take care of them at all, so look out for that.

I'd say PASS :Flip:

sdawg17

Reaction score
Visit site
haha yeah, now he is talking **** about my bike! He thinks "I messed up the look" with the dual headlights and clip on bars and wishing me luck ever selling/trading it. **** Thanks, just dodged a bullet there. and in response to gothenburg, the first thing he does when he starts up my bike is rev it hard. lol

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds fishy to me too. I would get the vin of the bike and call the police to make sure it's not stolen. I think he was trying to scam you, an do it quick too!

Good call on passing it up, there's other bikes out there!

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you should just direct that douche towards your local Walmart..

next he'll ask for your toothbrush :BLAA:

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anytime someone puts a time limit on a deal be suspicious. And salvage title bikes can be dodgy. Unless you saw what happened to it, you don't really know what happened to it. And you're still gonna have a salvage title when you sell it, too.

sdawg17

Reaction score
Visit site
I rode it and I liked it a lot. He's now saying $1k plus my xbox and tv. He traded his truck for the bike on nov 2nd and still hasn't received the pink slip in the mail yet. I looked at the ignition and it seemed okay, key worked fine. He did have to change the gas cap out with a lockless kind. One thing to note is that the original owner wired speakers into it. That's pretty cool but I prefer bonestock to start with. Also it had been dropped but it has framesliders.

The reason I'd really consider this trade is because my bike is in a very debatable shape. My registration says "unknown mileage" because the originial speedo broke and I had to replace it. Also, some parts are damaged from the previous owners accident (lowside) but all work fine. For example the killswitch-switch was snapped in half and bypassed, my rear brake lever is bent in a little bit, the front brake lever* is warped forward slightly, rear brake squeaks at times, and radiator welds broke so it's secured by a metal clip screw tightener... other than that it runs like a beast.

His R1 is dreamy, but he's only had it for a week, it's salvage, and he's a bimbo. Until he gets the pink slip we decided we would do bills of sale and hold collateral. I still haven't gotten back to his offer of $1k and xbox/tv.

mnuttall87

Reaction score
Visit site
I would absolutely NOT do a bill of sale on a bike like that without getting the title/other ownership rights. It really just sounds desperate at this point.

riderlak1

Reaction score
Visit site
Without seeing the title.....NO DEAL! Seriously man.....steer clear of this deal!

Im sorry but even with the issues you mentioned about your bike it doesn't sound that bad. Plus at least you KNOW what is wrong with your bike.....I would bet serious money that the R1 is a disaster waiting to happen. They say that bikes are a reflection of the rider or owner. So if the deal and the guy seem shady, then the bike probably is too!

And....I still say the whole thing reeks of being stolen. A new gas cap without a lock and new keyswitch......no thanks!

Reaction score
Visit site
Without seeing the title.....NO DEAL! Seriously man.....steer clear of this deal!

Im sorry but even with the issues you mentioned about your bike it doesn't sound that bad. Plus at least you KNOW what is wrong with your bike.....I would bet serious money that the R1 is a disaster waiting to happen. They say that bikes are a reflection of the rider or owner. So if the deal and the guy seem shady, then the bike probably is too!

And....I still say the whole thing reeks of being stolen. A new gas cap without a lock and new keyswitch......no thanks!

:Im With Stupid:

Yup. Steer clear man. Not worth it. There's plenty else out there. You see how he (mis)treated your bike. Too many red flags... :thumbdown:

sdawg17

Reaction score
Visit site
He's only had it for 7 days, and he honestly traded his truck for the bike. He has the title but is waiting for the new one to come in the mail. If I do go through with this, we agreed to have a bill of sale and withhold our pinkslips until he receives his in the mail. That way, if it doesn't go through I'll have a way of holding him accountable, and I'll also have my current registration so if he pulls anything stupid I can report it stolen if worst comes to worst. He's checking it out again today and I'm going to do a very thorough inspection. I checked on NICB and it reported a no current theft/stolen status. I've also seen the craigslist ad that was up 2 weeks ago from the owner before this guy. He was asking $5k lol, and he had a diff number so I know it's not the same guy. And I know for a fact that the kid doesn't have his truck anymore, so he's either really dumb or it's a safe transaction I just have to wait for his pink slip to come so that the transaction can be completely over with. I'm not forsure getting it, but if everything looks clean and we can arrange a good deal, I might go through with out. it's my bike and $1k

sdawg17

Reaction score
Visit site
also, I fear that my bike won't sell for much more than $2200, i've been asking for $3k and it's been a month with no real buyers...

Zargof

MSF Instructor
Reaction score
Visit site
Your trying to sell at the wrong time. People unload bikes right now because of the weather so they don't have storage and insurance costs. You need to wait till like February, which should gain you a bigger sale price.