Need a little help wiring

galen

Reaction score
Visit site
Help:eek: The H4 bulb in my FZ16 kit is on highbeam all the time.My stock plugs only had a left and right female, no top center. I added a connector to the plug and can toggel the low beams with the switch.From the instructions it seems that my stock plug should have 3 females.I thought about switching the wires around but should i be looking somthing that the previous owner did? The hi-low worked fine with the stock head lights. any help would give me a starting place to look.
Thanks

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Help:eek: The H4 bulb in my FZ16 kit is on highbeam all the time.My stock plugs only had a left and right female, no top center. I added a connector to the plug and can toggel the low beams with the switch.From the instructions it seems that my stock plug should have 3 females.I thought about switching the wires around but should i be looking somthing that the previous owner did? The hi-low worked fine with the stock head lights. any help would give me a starting place to look.
Thanks

I don't quite follow what you're saying. Is there a chance you could post up a picture or two of what you're talking about?

What kit are you talking about? Where did you get it from?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On the h4 lamp on the right side the OEM has plug has two wires. a Black (ground) and a Black with a Yellow tracer. This is your high beam. There is an empty slot in the middle upper part of this plug but there is no wire. This is why there is no low beam in that eye. If you supply voltage to that empty spade on the lamp you will have a low beam but when you turn on the high beam the low beam should be shut off to eliminate a few problems including undue load on the headlamp circuit in the bike as well as overheat of the H4 lamp and socket as well as possible reflector damage.

On the left OEM lamp there is the H7 lamp this is the low beam only lamp it has no high beam. The socket has a Black (ground) and a Black with green tracer wire.

Hope this helps.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a pic of what Cliff is talking about for wire color. The green wire in the middle slot is the low beam.

watermark.php

galen

Reaction score
Visit site
Motogiro, Thanks for the info.So if i switch the high beam wire(black/yellow) withe the other wire(not -neg) i should be OK? in bd43's pics there are 3 wires. i assume the green was added. Both of my stock(2me) plugs only had 2 wires.
Thanks

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Motogiro, Thanks for the info.So if i switch the high beam wire(black/yellow) withe the other wire(not -neg) i should be OK? in bd43's pics there are 3 wires. i assume the green was added. Both of my stock(2me) plugs only had 2 wires.
Thanks

Looking at the back of the plug as if it were plugged into the lamp: Top center wire (Black with Green tracer) is the low beam. Left wire (Black) is ground for both filaments. Right wire (Black with Yellow tracer) is the high beam.

Remember when you turn on the high beam the low beam filament in the lamp will not be turning off and the envelope will over heat causing premature failure.

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks

Just to clarify: Don't switch the wires, you'll only end up with low beam only. You want to bring the low beam wire (black with green tracer) from your original low beam plug into the top slot of the high beam plug. That will give you lo/hi beam. But as mentionned by motogiro, both filaments will lit up when on high beam. The clean way to do it is to do a bd43 headlight mod to your single hi/lo plug, i.e. bring a wire from the harness to the top slot.