Near miss - 2 lane roundabout

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago, but I'm posting it just as something to bear in mind, because I saw a similar situation develop today on a different roundabout with a couple of cars in front of me. It's not something I've given much thought to previously, but now I'll never let a car get parallel to me on a 2 lane roundabout.

The scene was a roundabout with two lanes. The left lane was solid with traffic turning left into a shopping centre just after the second exit (straight on). I was going straight on myself, past the shopping centre, so was in the right lane.

I came onto the roundabout with no problem, pass the first exit to the left, indicator on to show I'm taking the next exit (straight). At that moment a car came from the first exit with left indicator on, as if he was turning into the stream of traffic in the left lane. Except he didn't. He kept going, onto the roundabout in the left hand lane, so was going round it parallel with me. I figured he was going to take the right hand lane straight off, as I intended to. He didn't - he kept going.

I had 3 options. Brake - but I was too far forward and he'd have hit me side on. Swerve right and keep going round again - but I was already edging up against the central reservation to avoid him. Or 3 - hit the gas, swerve and get in front of him. That's the one I chose.

I shot in front of him with inches to spare, flicked the bike left down the exit and realised I was heading for the kerb. I hit it with my tyre sidewalls, bit of a tankslapper, my right foot came off the footrest and kicked the kerb, but I stayed on, slowed it down and regained control. I stopped, looked over my shoulder and he'd carried on driving off down the 3rd exit.

What I was pleased with was that I didn't panic at all. Was just very calm throughout. But nearly came unglued on the kerb after the main danger was past. Maybe the diagram will help explain:

4019682122_0c62a3b2d3_o.jpg

So every near miss is a learning opportunity, right? What have I learned. Never trust a signal. OK, I ought to know that. If your instinct tells you to brake, sometimes that's the wrong thing to do and you'll have to override it. There's probably some cute little roadcraft motto like: "If it's at quarter to three, treat it like a T" - in other words, beware of cars in the left lane of a roundabout continuing round to the right, and never get parallel with them if you are going straight on. Write out 100 times.

Anyway, I came out of it with nothing worse than a stubbed toe (how I don't know) and a couple of scuffs on the sidewalls. Bike was outstanding - went exactly where I needed it to. But I will be far more cautious of 2 lane roundabouts from now on.

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad everything turned out okay! Roundabouts are rediculous! They are being taken out of many places. I learned many many years ago long before I could drive do not trust a turn signal. Numerous people are so oblivious that they are even driving they never look down to see their speed let alone make sure the signal went off.

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you came out ok Jez, as it as happened to me more than once. How I normally react to this kind of situation is by giving the driver a good loud blast with my Stebel Nautilus air horn. But when you least expect someone to pull out in front of you it is hard to react quick enough as sometimes the shock kicks in.

simonwb

Back in black
Reaction score
Visit site
Great write-up, Jez, this is a danger scenario I always try and watch out for. Thanks for reminding us all about it.

My other danger scenario is when filtering past stationary or slow moving traffic, a vehicle stops to let another out of a left turn wanting to go in the opposite direction, that vehicle coming out only looks to it's left towards oncoming traffic, never to the right for a bike filtering past the vehicle that's just given way.

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
"Just because the indicator is on, all that means is the f***ing light works!"

That's what I always remember mate, at least your ok!

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice diagram.

People don't know how to indicate on road-abouts thats half the problem.

I'm a little curious how you could see his (or hers) left indicator?

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you're ok. Excellent description and diagram.

Not to thread-jack, but...
I have a question about the diagram. The turn arrows "painted" on the lanes seem to indicate that one can turn left OR right upon entering. Meaning traffic would flow both clockwise AND counterclockwise in the roundabout.:eek:
Obviously, that's not the case.

What do those arrows actually indicate? Do they indicate the best lane for your "eventual" direction of travel. IE: If you're turning right (the third exit) then you would want enter the roundabout using the inner lane then move to the outer lane for your exit when the time comes...? That makes sense in that it keeps the outer lane clear for entering traffic.

Just curious as roundabouts are rare in the US and they are generally in fairly low traffic areas and rarely have more than one lane of travel. (At least in the places that I've ridden / driven)

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice diagram.

People don't know how to indicate on road-abouts thats half the problem.

I'm a little curious how you could see his (or hers) left indicator?

The diagram isn't too clear on this, but I was already far enough around the roundabout to see him come up to the line with his left indicator on. In reality he shouldn't have even entered the roundabout at all with me there - especially since I was indicating left as soon as I'd passed the first exit.

I have a question about the diagram. The turn arrows "painted" on the lanes seem to indicate that one can turn left OR right upon entering. Meaning traffic would flow both clockwise AND counterclockwise in the roundabout.
Obviously, that's not the case.

It's not, thankfully. It just means that you can proceed straight on in either lane, or continue all the way round to the right. While still riding on the left hand side of the road.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not as many as on this one I bet.

lifemagi1.jpg

:eek:

Last October I came across to the UK for my work (and the second UK FZ6-forum meet) on my bike. I was staying with a mate in Swindon. Anyway I had to cross this roundabout numerous times, the worst one was on the day I arrived, I had just got used to riding on the left again and I had to traverse this thing :eek:
Later I took the easy route, just stuck to the outside :thumbup:

Last edited:

Bombhead

Reaction score
www.Airgun-Tec.com
Not as many as on this one I bet. :eek:

Believe it or not this roundabout works very well although I have to say that when travelling over it my head turns so many times it's in danger of falling off:eek::eek::eek:

Broadly speaking people who use this roundabout fall into two types and they can both be spotted easily; you have the LOCAL who knows the system and makes good progress, they will cut you up, drift over lanes and generally scare the pants off you with incredible displays of bad driving. Then you have the VISITOR. The visitor does not know the layout therefore does not make good progerss, they dither, cut you up, drift over lanes, take the wrong route and generally scare the pants off you with incredible displays of bad driving:spank::spank::spank::spank:

If ever I need a little fun I take this route........BTW, the easiest and safest route is around the outside;) apart from taking another route that is:thumbup:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Believe it or not this roundabout works very well although I have to say that when travelling over it my head turns so many times it's in danger of falling off:eek::eek::eek:

Broadly speaking people who use this roundabout fall into two types and they can both be spotted easily; you have the LOCAL who knows the system and makes good progress, they will cut you up, drift over lanes and generally scare the pants off you with incredible displays of bad driving. Then you have the VISITOR. The visitor does not know the layout therefore does not make good progerss, they dither, cut you up, drift over lanes, take the wrong route and generally scare the pants off you with incredible displays of bad driving:spank::spank::spank::spank:

If ever I need a little fun I take this route........BTW, the easiest and safest route is around the outside;) apart from taking another route that is:thumbup:

Is there video of this thing in use?

Bombhead

Reaction score
www.Airgun-Tec.com
Is there video of this thing in use?

I've dug these out of YouTube but keep a sick bag handy cause you'll get dizzy!!!!! Somehow it seems worse in video than doing it for real:(

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sud6iEh28ZM]YouTube - The Magic Roundabout in Swindon[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0yxJsW0wX8]YouTube - Swindon's Magic Roundabout[/ame]

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I've dug these out of YouTube but keep a sick bag handy cause you'll get dizzy!!!!! Somehow it seems worse in video than doing it for real:(

YouTube - The Magic Roundabout in Swindon

YouTube - Swindon's Magic Roundabout

If the drivers in either one of those clips were taking the shortest path to whee they wanted to go, I surely did not understand.....I was used to 'typical' roundabouts, as a kid in England....... that is (I am quite sure) effective once you have actually experienced it..... from where 'm sitting you'd have to be fooking nutz to ride a bike on that. :D:eek:

Thanks. I think. :thumbup::cheer: