naked w/clip ons??

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm about to start my naked transformation and I've been considering some adjustable clipons. Just wondering if anyone had any pics of a naked bike with clip ons. I can only find a couple of pics and they all have the fairing.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I did end up seeing that. I'm gonna get some fully adjustable riser clip ons and try to get them to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Not quite what you're looking for I'm sure.. still in progress. HeliBars, FZ1N Headlight, R6 USD Forks/Triple, Brembo Master Cylinder on the brake side.

IMG_0257.jpg

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. You have the bars coming straight off the fork with no rearward bend? Kinda hard to tell from the pic. If so, do they hit the tank like that?

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
They are pretty straight, yeah. There is a little room to pull back some, but until I have all my controls mounted I can't set them. They do hit the tank if you get much of an angle. The other option is to sacrifice some degree of turning ability. The nature of my setup is nicer on my wrists, personally.

Woodcraft and LSL both make clip-ons with a larger rise, which would allow a steeper rake of the bars. I may try them out some day, but for now this setup works. It's a lot like a drag bar with zero pull back.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
These are the ones I'm looking at Apex Store :: Riser Clip-ons I was hoping they would have enough rise to them to clear the tank, as they do have a good bit of adjustability in them. I was also considering a straight bar too. The FZ1 bars just arent straight enough for me, and I would like a little bit longer of a bar. I come from riding dirt bikes my whole life so I'm used to a wide, flat bar; and being 6'6" with long arms the extra reach won't hurt.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not raising the forks, so they'll def be going underneath. I was also considering a straight bar and I think I may cut a broom stick to length and mount it up just to see how it feels.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for something with a bit of adjust ability.

I have Convertibars. They are fully adjustable. I love 'em. I have posted pics up somewhere on here..lemme see if I can find them...

Use the search function--there tons of threads/pics on the forum about clip-ons.

Last edited:

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I've seen those. They want too much money for them, but they seem to have more height adjustment than the apex ones.

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
The Apex setup might possibly work.. I've never measured the rise of my HeliBars, but just from an eyeballs-only glance, it appears to be roughly the same as the Apex would allow for. That means that you won't be able to angle the Apex setup back much further than my HeliBars sit. Also, those Apex clip-ons only come in 50mm, meaning you're either going to have to convert to the USD forks or have a custom clamp shim made for them.

Also, I'm glad to see you're not considering lowering the front of the bike enough to accomodate the older VFR setup. I tried this setup, and I found it to be completely unacceptable. Obviously this is just my opinion, but I didn't like it at all; feel, stability or looks wise.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
those Apex clip-ons only come in 50mm, meaning you're either going to have to convert to the USD forks or have a custom clamp shim made for them.

The regular Apex clip-ons are only 48mm or 50mm, but you can get the riser ones in 43mm, they just charge $30 extra for them. I tried the CBR clip-ons a long time ago, but they require mounting on top of the triple, and it only took one trip around the block to put the bar back on. It makes a huge difference in handling. Any new clip-ons for me must go underneath.

slandis

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I meant CBR not VFR. The Blackbird setup is absolutely no dice. My 11xx clip-ons are still mounted to my stock front end, which is sitting in a corner collecting dust. I just don't know that anybody would want that stuff.

I don't see that the Apex setup offers any more rise than the HeliBars I have, they just offer adjustability. LSL offers a high enough rise (along with a high enough price) but they have no adjustment to them...