Nail in tire

It is also said that you should replace the front when you replace the rear.
It is also said that you should replace the front and rear with teh same brand/style.
I dont believe in voo-doo. Chemiker did a GREAT explanation of what could go wrong but I use my bike for mild twists and mostly commuting, and I've plugged the hell out of tires and never had a problem. I used to replace them but they got expensive!
If you're a fair weather rider, go for it if you need peace of mind. If you ride daily, its a waste.

Thanks for all your advice guys

Pulled nail out with pliers today.and tire didnt go down!only about a 2mm nail but was in at such an angle didnt deflate tire! it was as if nail was layin flat in tire! probaly ok to ride but think will replace tire any way as tread close to limit.After only 2300miles!

I found that these motorcycle tires seal pretty good with a nail and at times even after you pull the nail out. It also holds up the rider pretty good all things considered with no pressure.

Thanks for all your advice guys

Pulled nail out with pliers today.and tire didnt go down!only about a 2mm nail but was in at such an angle didnt deflate tire! it was as if nail was layin flat in tire! probaly ok to ride but think will replace tire any way as tread close to limit.After only 2300miles!

Good deal!

Tire is close to the limit after only 2300 miles? I have 2800 miles on mine and it isn't close to the limit, I thought. Better go check again...

yea only 2300miles!
I Ride it pretty hard but i cant believe after only 2300!
What am i doing wrong?

yea only 2300miles!
I Ride it pretty hard but i cant believe after only 2300!
What am i doing wrong?
Lol, You have answered your own question mate.

You ride hard.
What are you going to replace the tyre with? I am looking at the pilots.

Nelly

It really depends on the puncture itself and the mileage of the tire. If the tire is fairly new, and if the puncture is not located in a thread pattern or on the side of the tire, and is a clean hole (no tears), then patching it is OK imho. Not plugging, but patching (which uses a plug and a patch from the inside of the tire). A plug alone is not advisable.

In these conditions, even tire manufacturers will tell you it is ok. I`ve had a patch in my Road Attacks for 4k miles (I had a small nail in it after 1 week of riding... I was not about to throw the tire away for that).

If you want ZERO risk whatsover, don`t ride a bike bro :)

Last edited:
Back