My wifes FZ6R

just james

Reaction score
Visit site
The other day my brother in law and I went riding.He was on my wifes FZ6R, and I was on my FZ6 bragging about the 20 extra horsepower I had.Wellto make this story short, on clear highway at about 70 mph we both down shifted to 4th gear and took off. I pulled away I thought at 136 mph I looked in my mirror thinking he would be way behind to my suprise he was about 5 feet behind me whats up with that? He was topped out up to that point her bike ran right with me. Someone help my pride is now shot.:confused:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The other day my brother in law and I went riding.He was on my wifes FZ6R, and I was on my FZ6 bragging about the 20 extra horsepower I had.Wellto make this story short, on clear highway at about 70 mph we both down shifted to 4th gear and took off. I pulled away I thought at 136 mph I looked in my mirror thinking he would be way behind to my suprise he was about 5 feet behind me whats up with that? He was topped out up to that point her bike ran right with me. Someone help my pride is now shot.:confused:

First remember we don't condone doing illegal stuff :rolleyes:

Second there can be many reasons why both bikes are close to the same even though they are much different. Rider weight and wind resistance. Using the power band of the motor for the best efficiency would be some of the reasons. Your bike may not be running as it should/could.

Most importantly, please be safe and ATGATT!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Welcome to the real world. No Matter how bad a$$ the extra 20 HP makes you feel it still comes down to just a few feet. Of course in a 1/4 mile it seem like a life time but on the street no big deal. You should see how much easier the R wheelies.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you guys about the same size and weight? That might make a difference if he is smaller.

Plus I think he cheated and downshifted to 2nd :BLAA:

And as Motogiro said, we don't condone doing illegal stuff and ATGATT!

Ride safe!

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the real world. No Matter how bad a$$ the extra 20 HP makes you feel it still comes down to just a few feet. Of course in a 1/4 mile it seem like a life time but on the street no big deal. You should see how much easier the R wheelies.

+1 on above post, really comes down to power to weight ratio.

just james

Reaction score
Visit site
You guys are probably right I may not be using all my rpms. I do weigh less than him. He also is used to riding sport bikes they are new to me I am use to to riding touring bikes. Also just to be safe I will never speed again. Thanks James

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, Ive had mine pegged out once....NO desire to to it again. I had to get it out of my system, and that was that.

Like Cliff said, wind resistance, he had a full fairing and you didnt.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
The 6R is a better machine then what it look on paper... Right out of the show room it's a good bike. After few mods it's an excellent street bike.

By the way, I just inject some FZ6 DNA in my 6R. CAMSHAFT SWAP! First ride was good! I still need to work on the map a little but so far it look like it might produce more output with less gas??? But too early to have a accurate evaluation of this set up... So far so good!

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
no to get the thread off topic but just quickly is the 6R the same block as the 6? or does the 6 cam just happen to fit in the R?

All base out of a 03-05 R6 is I'm right. The head is different but luckily the cams fit right in. Even more lucky, the valve adjustment were spot on! No need to adjust. I had to get the 6R cams gear machine (Bore) to fit the 6 cams.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Please settle this debate, since you have access to both bikes, take it to the drag strip and show us your results.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Are you guys about the same size and weight? That might make a difference if he is smaller.

Plus I think he cheated and downshifted to 2nd :BLAA:

And as Motogiro said, we don't condone doing illegal stuff and ATGATT!

Ride safe!

I can help clear this up.I have rode and raced with 2 FZ6R's and the little bike has alot of tourqe!! at around 45mph both bikes in top gear the fz6r pulled away from me with it's 150lbs rider,me weighin 220lbs at the time.even as the 8,000 rpm mark aproached I caught and passed him but not by much just as the O.P. described his race.now as far as a straight up drag racing went I left him in the dust,and at a rolling start pick your own gear and get also no competition from the R or to put it as it should be stated racing comes down to the riders abilty with such a narrow gap in these bikes power output. :BLAA: And as Motogiro said, we don't condone doing illegal stuff and ATGATT!

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, the F6R has 20% more torque from 6-8k rpm.. In fact, most magazines write about how the engine is more powerful in the usable street range. Up, above 10k rpm the FZ6 is much more powerful.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
6k to 8k is only 2,000 rpms which takes 1 second or less to rev past, that is negligible.