My Top Speed

My Top Speed is Determined by:

• The speed limit. I'm a laws person.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Not a risk taker: 10-15 MPH over the speed limit. .

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Comfort level. Over __ MPH I'm a little scared.

Votes: 41 18.1%
  • Chance of getting a ticket. Go as fast as I can get away with.

Votes: 82 36.1%
  • The bikes ability. Fearless!

Votes: 38 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my 08 Mustang GT's speedo pinned on the Autobahn. I had it pinned for a good couple miles so I am sure I was doing 160+. I also had my 2000 Honda Civic SI up to 147 on the Autobahn. That was a quick little 4 cyclinder.

lol. when I was in Germany I had a Diesel VW Polo up to 180kph 110mph it was nice!! The German Autobahns are nice.

fireman

Reaction score
Visit site
I normaly go 10-15 over. On the Interstate maybe a little faster depending on how traffic is and road conditions. On the back roads ill sometimes go under if its a bad strech of road. I have had mine topped out before on a long straight stretch just to see what it would do, I seen 159. it was fun but not fun also.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Best one for me is comfort level, especially how comfortable I am with the traffic in the area. I have some streets I have no problem going fast or slow, and others where if I don't go at least 10 over, I'm dead. Unfortuantely, cagers are far worse than anything else on the road, some I wonder what cereal box was giving the licenses away for prizes. :spank:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm glad I was "leisurely" this morning... Another rider blew by me and out of nowhere, an unmarked LEO appeared and bagged him. WHEW! I'm normally harder on the throttle in that area myself! But after a lot of miles this past weekend, I took it really easy to and from work today.

Disco

A Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Around built up areas I keep it to about 10km/h over the limit max.

Open roads, different story all together. Let it rip.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to call BS on a couple of the top speeds posted here...I'm 6'1" 215 lbs and the fastest i've ever had my stock 07 fz6 up too was 141mph on the speedometer...I did put it on the center stand and bump the rev limiter in 6th gear and the speedometer indacated 165 mph....so I don't see how anyone could get this bike past 150 mph without some major mod's to the engine and the fairing's.....I'm just sayin keep it real... :D :spank:

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
B.S.? I have to agree----reminds me of high school when guys were 90% B.S., tripping over themselves to "impress" the naive girls. I smell some B.S. regarding top speed as well. In addition, I can remember at least one magazine review citing observed top speed and it's not "160 MPH"...or anywhere near that for the FZ6.Incidentally, the stock FZ6 is not---in my opinion---very good for high speed with the upright ride position. It's awkard and not a "solid" feel to have to crouch downward to minimize the wind/air flow. Sprortbike ergonomics are definitely appreciated for high speed runs.

Last edited:

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
Top speed for the '07 FZ6 has been reported in "Motorcycle Consumer News" as being 140.something mph actual, not reported by the speedo. Sounds about right.

Tim

tmilheiser

Reaction score
Visit site
ive hit 140, rode at over 120 for several miles, but unless i have a clear road and no leos i try to stick to around 10 over on the highways to stay out of review mirors and blindspots, i do find other speeders to ride with on my commute and we'll be doing 90 to 110 through light traffic and straits, it all depends...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Given the aerodynamics (or lack thereof) of the FZ6 coupled with the rev limiter that won't let you redline anyway, I'd be very impressed to see evidence of a 150 MPH or over run. I'm talking GPS or healed speedo, not indicated because it's also known that the speedo with a stock config is an easy 10% off throughout. So, 150 indicated means you're doing about 135 actual.

Given shreveport1's test on the center stand with 165 indicated and zero load, that is only 148 mph.

I am talking about stock bikes. Change the sprockets and this can be extended some. BUT, you will still hit the proverbial wall, that wall being wind resistance. There is a point where the FZ6 doesn't have the needed HP to push the bike any faster through the air. Somewhere on an old thread at the other site, someone proved a lot of this and video'd some of it.

Yamahamike

Reaction score
Visit site
My friend rode my FZ6 after the exaust install. Top speed 145 in 6th gear. I got up to 137 in 5th. Had more to go. 131in 4th at 14,000 rpm. It's hard to tell the top speed.

nanner6282

Reaction score
Visit site
you forgot the one for "i'm love speed and would go balls to the wall if i wouldn't have a chance in hell of getting a ticket, but i don't want to get a ticket".
i usually will open it up on the on ramps and hit over a hundred but usually slow down to 80 on the freeway. there's not many times where i get an open road in front of me :rockon:

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
you forgot the one for "i'm love speed and would go balls to the wall if i wouldn't have a chance in hell of getting a ticket, but i don't want to get a ticket".
i usually will open it up on the on ramps and hit over a hundred but usually slow down to 80 on the freeway. there's not many times where i get an open road in front of me :rockon:

I agree, that's why it's great that our neighbours the Germans have this thing called the Autobahn which is without speed limits on some stretches :D

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Normally on freeway cruising 80mph maybe 100mph if I need to whack open to pass someone and get back to cruising....
I feel 80mph is my comfort zone...:thumbup:
Ride safe people....

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a bit of all those choices.
Road conditions, quality and traffic, area, probability of police, within my own and the bikes abilities, while trying to not do anything suicidally stupid (too often).
I could probably do most of my commuting without leaving 1st gear on the FZ6 too, since its mostly 60-70km/h, so its alot harder to push the bikes limits without moving into that rather dark place, where instead of losing my license, I'd probably lose: Bike, License, Freedom (Jailtime is probable if your over a certain speed), and a very large sum of money. Not to mention my job, my clean slate, and the respect of alot of people :p

That being said you can pick the safest moment to do it, and be unlucky with the police. Gotta have fun sometimes tho :D

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
I generaly only go 5-10 over if I think I can get away with it, fastest on my FZ6 was 152 on a stretch of road in the country. Not a common thing to do though as I start to think about deer at that point.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am not fearless by any stretch of the imagination. In fact it's a good dose of fear that keeps me alive. I think the general gist of this thread has been well answered. If the conditions are right then I open it up. I am comfy riding at about 130-50 on my daily commute which has a 100kph limit. On roads that I am unfamilier with I take it very handy.
Ride safe all Nelly

edski

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL
So far, 148 votes, and not one "laws person speed limit max"!

I've had my FZ6 over 120 mph, but only for a short period of time.
Here in NJ (even in the southern part), travelling at speeds over 2 miles per minute just increases the probability of of coming within sight of the police given the density of LEOs here combined with my lack of luck.

If you're doing about 10 mph over, they won't even give you a second look.
My comfort zone is just a 'little' faster, so I can ride through and away from the cagers and into the clean air. I dislike wake turbulence.