My Top Speed

My Top Speed is Determined by:

• The speed limit. I'm a laws person.

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Not a risk taker: 10-15 MPH over the speed limit. .

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Comfort level. Over __ MPH I'm a little scared.

Votes: 41 18.1%
  • Chance of getting a ticket. Go as fast as I can get away with.

Votes: 82 36.1%
  • The bikes ability. Fearless!

Votes: 38 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a clear day, riding the highway, and traffic is light. I twist the throttle and watch the speedometer rise. My limit is determined by:

1) The speed limit. I'm a laws person. They were created for my own protection as well as others.

2) I'm not so much a laws person but I'm not a risk taker. I stay within 10-15 MPH of the speed limit.

3) My comfort level. I'm a little scared after __ MPH.

4) The chances of getting a ticket. I'll go as fast as I think I'll get away with.

5) The bikes ability. I'm fearless.

Luiz

Reaction score
Visit site
I voted the bikes ability, but I'm not fearless.

Around the city I usually go 70mph depending on traffic and conditions. The limit here is 45mph.

On the highway It's usually 90-100. on a 70-mph limit.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I prefer to ride as the conditions allow. Sometimes on an open highway with no traffic I can make pretty good progress. On 'B' roads that are twisty and may have mud from farm equipment I'm much slower - sometimes below the speed limit. It all depends for me, I try to ride safe and smart but not slow either.

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I generally try to keep with traffic on the highway. However, the max speed on my GPS seems to be showing 105mph for some reason. Maybe that was on I83, 65mph limit, during an empty span. Perhaps someone borrowed it for a track day.

Tim

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
It all depends on road/traffic conditions. I recently did 130MPH (indicated) in Nevada. I could see behind/forward for at least a mile, no wind/breeze on lonely and straight shot highway. On "normal" urban roads/freeways, I don't usually go more than 5-10 MPH over. I know many do but..I don't want to take the risk of a ticket!

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
As fast as I feel comfortable because I don't go faster if I don't feel comfortable. I've been known to go 10mph under the limit, but at times maybe sneak a peak at 130 - 140 :) shh!

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll make an occasional run through the gears and I've been over 100 mph a couple times, maybe as fast as 120 mph. But 90% of the time I'm 5 or 10 over the limit. Depends on the road really.

A few years back I had a regular route down a twisty back and forth to work. Knew the road like the back of my hand. The limits were 25 to 35 MPH and I rarely was below 70 mph if there was empty road in front of me.

fz6Soldier

Reaction score
Visit site
75 on my FZ6 (Still a new rider)

Fastest ever was 160 mph in BMW 535 on the German Auto bahn!! That was fun!:thumbup:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
75 on my FZ6 (Still a new rider)

Fastest ever was 160 mph in BMW 535 on the German Auto bahn!! That was fun!:thumbup:

I think my fastest was up @ 155 ish in my GTO. I was running through the gears and realized I was pushing 5th pretty hard. Let off the gas and looked down as the needle was passing back down past 150.. Normally I'm quick to the limits+10 MPH but not much faster.

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I think my fastest was up @ 155 ish in my GTO. I was running through the gears and realized I was pushing 5th pretty hard. Let off the gas and looked down as the needle was passing back down past 150.. Normally I'm quick to the limits+10 MPH but not much faster.

I had my 08 Mustang GT's speedo pinned on the Autobahn. I had it pinned for a good couple miles so I am sure I was doing 160+. I also had my 2000 Honda Civic SI up to 147 on the Autobahn. That was a quick little 4 cyclinder.

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
On my FZ - I went for normally 10-15mph over, if it's clear enough. Although on the odd occassion and I mean very rare, when there is nothing around at all (must have been on a track, or in Germany :thumbup: ) I have been up around the 140mph mark. However I have to say it gets uncomfortable up there with any sort of side wind around on a bike, so I didn't enjoy that much at all.

Tripping along at 120mph+ for the stretches I can to work, on my 100 mile commute, doesn't make me get there in 50 minutes. It does give those folk in blue uniforms more reason to remove my license for a while. It also gives those other road users the chance to pull out on me wiping me out and blaming me for it.

TBH, at the end of the day, I know my bike and car will go the wrong side of the speed limit, so the biggest question has to be "is it worth losing my license or worse to do something I know is possible anyway?"

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I ride mine like I stole it..... :rockon: :D but I do it in full gear with a clear road,and I allway's give my bike a pre-ride inspection...I enjoy the adrenaline rush that's why I bought my bike in the first place..I don't care what kind of fuel mileage it get's or how many miles I can get out of a set of tires,or which windsheild block's the wind the best...I like the wind!! that's why I bought the bike to enjoy it...I've been riding for 24 year's and I still have all my fingers and toes..... :D :rockon:

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have seen 160mph indicated but that was full gear on an empty straight road. It isnt a common occurance i would love it to be but it isnt worth the consequences i usually keep it at about 10-15 over

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
It's a clear day, riding the highway, and traffic is light. I twist the throttle and watch the speedometer rise. My limit is determined by:

1) The speed limit. I'm a laws person. They were created for my own protection as well as others.

2) I'm not so much a laws person but I'm not a risk taker. I stay within 10-15 MPH of the speed limit.

3) My comfort level. I'm a little scared after __ MPH.

4) The chances of getting a ticket. I'll go as fast as I think I'll get away with.

5) The bikes ability. I'm fearless.

Zero traffic, I'm more likely to get a ticket than with light traffic...... if someone is going faster than me, I am less likely to get a ticket. Especially if they are some distance ahead of me.

Given the opportunity, I will 'troll' for LEOs in that fashion up to some speed above the posted limit. that upper speed is determined by MY read of the road conditions, current health, ect.