My tail light doesnt work unless the brake is pressed

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Just as the title says. I had a police officer pull me over and nicely tell me it wasn't working last night. Luckily there was no ticket! Anyway I was thinking it would just be a bulb replacement but I wanted to make sure before I go buy one. Will just a bulb do the trick?

Yes it is 1157 bulb, has two lights in it. one for the tail light, and one for the brake. This happens to me on a monthly basis. the tail light in the bulb goes bad but the brake light still works

I noticed that the OEM bulb is a little different from the standard 1157 bulb. The standard 1157 will work fine but the OEM has a bridge on one of the filaments and I think it might be for mechanical stability because of vibration on the bike.
Vibration on bikes may cause the filament to fail very prematurely. I'm going to get a spare OEM today.

Cliff

My FJR lost a tail light bulb (was working back there and bumped it too many times). I originally put an 1157 in next to the stock one(dual bulb set up). The stock one (with the bridge in the middle) is noticably brighter. I ordered another stock bulb and replaced it. It wasn't that expensive....

Most likely, the running light filiment burned out. Yes, a standard 1157 will work. Take the seat off and the plug will pop out with a 1/4 turn. Very simple.

On another note, before I leave for a ride, I almost always check the running lights are working and check the brake light activate with both the front and rear.

It only take a second, and it may keep a cager from driving over you.

This has happened to me before on the way to work ,a guy in a car told me at a set of lights that the tail light was out but the brake was working,just replaced the bulb and all is good.

I make sure I always have a spare on the bike now :thumbup:

Last edited:
The only time one of the fillaments has gone out on mine was when I highsided and my bike slammed against the ground. The 2nd fillament lived!

Back