My tail light doesnt work unless the brake is pressed

FalloutMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Just as the title says. I had a police officer pull me over and nicely tell me it wasn't working last night. Luckily there was no ticket! Anyway I was thinking it would just be a bulb replacement but I wanted to make sure before I go buy one. Will just a bulb do the trick?

eagle1909

The EAgle
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it is 1157 bulb, has two lights in it. one for the tail light, and one for the brake. This happens to me on a monthly basis. the tail light in the bulb goes bad but the brake light still works

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed that the OEM bulb is a little different from the standard 1157 bulb. The standard 1157 will work fine but the OEM has a bridge on one of the filaments and I think it might be for mechanical stability because of vibration on the bike.
Vibration on bikes may cause the filament to fail very prematurely. I'm going to get a spare OEM today.

Cliff

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My FJR lost a tail light bulb (was working back there and bumped it too many times). I originally put an 1157 in next to the stock one(dual bulb set up). The stock one (with the bridge in the middle) is noticably brighter. I ordered another stock bulb and replaced it. It wasn't that expensive....

NJ GUS

Reaction score
Visit site
Most likely, the running light filiment burned out. Yes, a standard 1157 will work. Take the seat off and the plug will pop out with a 1/4 turn. Very simple.

On another note, before I leave for a ride, I almost always check the running lights are working and check the brake light activate with both the front and rear.

It only take a second, and it may keep a cager from driving over you.

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This has happened to me before on the way to work ,a guy in a car told me at a set of lights that the tail light was out but the brake was working,just replaced the bulb and all is good.

I make sure I always have a spare on the bike now :thumbup:

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
The only time one of the fillaments has gone out on mine was when I highsided and my bike slammed against the ground. The 2nd fillament lived!