My Power Commander V, I HATE it!!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DynoJet sells one for the PC5. Several people, on a variety of Nike's, have gone clinically insane trying to got readings that are consistent.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
DynoJet sells one for the PC5. Several people, on a variety of Nike's, have gone clinically insane trying to got readings that are consistent.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

The engineer boys need schooled by the Auto industry. . . . :spank:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No-one has told me why the F*** THE pc5 is only good for an 09 fz6???? cause there aint one single difference between an 09 fz6, and a 07, or 08 FZ6, in terms of OEM Specifications!

:confused:

People use it on earlier models. Based on some conversations with DJ support, I really think the only reason they say that was in hopes of pushing the "new" PCV instead of the PC3 and the unique features the V has.

It seems to me that 09+ designation was a marketing/business decision, not an engineering one.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was told by DynoJet that the PCV will not work for my '05, and only the PCIII is compatible.

Is this true? Do I need a PCIII or will the PCV give any benefit over the PCIII?

Do I need a dyno run or can I do most of what I want on a PC? (economy, smooth out the on/off surge)

I'm looking to buy soonish, so any help appreciated!

Cheers,
Rick

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was told by DynoJet that the PCV will not work for my '05, and only the PCIII is compatible.

Is this true? Do I need a PCIII or will the PCV give any benefit over the PCIII?

Do I need a dyno run or can I do most of what I want on a PC? (economy, smooth out the on/off surge)

I'm looking to buy soonish, so any help appreciated!

Cheers,
Rick

I've heard that a couple of times but still don't know if it's true and I think people have run the PCV on years they don't list.
I've made a note and will try to get an answer for you by calling them tomorrow. If they don't I'll try to find out why and give a definitive answer. Maybe they have new info and have fit one(PCV) by now to earlier years...

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've made a note and will try to get an answer for you by calling them tomorrow. If they don't I'll try to find out why and give a definitive answer.

That would be fantastic Moto, thank you!

Whilst you're talking with them, it'd be nice to know whether the PCV would be any different for that model bike (2005 - without the O2 sensor) or whether the PCIII will do everything that can be possibly changed on that bike.

Cheers, and thanks again!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That would be fantastic Moto, thank you!

Whilst you're talking with them, it'd be nice to know whether the PCV would be any different for that model bike (2005 - without the O2 sensor) or whether the PCIII will do everything that can be possibly changed on that bike.

Cheers, and thanks again!

I will get all the info I can including O2 info. :D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We've heard the query many times and there was no solid answer on this in the past. The PCV was list for X year FZ6 but not other years.

I just got off the phone with Power Commander Support in Las Vegas and was told their list for the PCV includes the 04 through 09 FZ6. Even though their web site has not been updated with this info they have done the retro and now all these years are included. The O2 sensor is not an issued. Just follow instructions for install. :D

Part number is 22-014

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As per PM, thank you Moto!

Did they say whether using the PCV as opposed to the PCIII would offer any benefit in the earlier models? (I'd assume the PCIII would be cheaper than the PCV, and if it doesn't do any more for the '05, it's a waste of moolah)

Cheers,
Rick

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As per PM, thank you Moto!

Did they say whether using the PCV as opposed to the PCIII would offer any benefit in the earlier models? (I'd assume the PCIII would be cheaper than the PCV, and if it doesn't do any more for the '05, it's a waste of moolah)

Cheers,
Rick

There are other feature that make the unit more dynamic and I believe it's the Autotune (another $300 plus dollars US) that you can build different maps with.
You can down load the manuals and maps at their site. :D

Gadget

Reaction score
Visit site
We've heard the query many times and there was no solid answer on this in the past. The PCV was list for X year FZ6 but not other years.

I just got off the phone with Power Commander Support in Las Vegas and was told their list for the PCV includes the 04 through 09 FZ6. Even though their web site has not been updated with this info they have done the retro and now all these years are included. The O2 sensor is not an issued. Just follow instructions for install. :D

Part number is 22-014

I can indeed concur with the above. I was also told the same from Power Commander via email and so this weekend I successfully installed a PCV on my 2004 FZ6 Fazer!

I bought my PCV new online from America for £185 and had a friend send it over. I didn't want to fit the PCIII because of the amount of space I have left under my seat which after taking into account my alarm, lock and chain is hardly any room at all!

The only problem however is the accompanying fitting instruction manual assumes you are fitting the PCV to a 2009 Fazer and therefor I ran into a couple of snags. Am I right in assuming there is no O2 sensor on a 2004 Fazer and if so does this effect the PCV's performance in anyway?

Secondly in the fitting instructions (www.cruisercustomizing.com/installguides/PC22-014.pdf) it states for advanced features to splice in a red a pink cable into the PCV and the other end goes into a pink cable coming out the back of a 3 way plug under the tank? Couldn't find this either on my bike so I had to give it a miss but I was just curious what I was missing out on?

Also I'm not exactly sure which firmware version I'm running but can anyone tell me if I'm missing out on features/performance/stability on the firmware that was installed on the unit straight out of the box?

I download and imported from the Power Commander website a PCIII map for scorpion cans and a K&N air filter for the FZ6 and then copied the input values to a PC5 map.

The bike has definitely got more punch but still going to get a profession tune as I would also like a map for track days!

Looking forward to Snetterton 300 in July! :O)

Last edited:

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can indeed concur with the above. I was also told the same from Power Commander via email and so this weekend I successfully installed a PCV on my 2004 FZ6 Fazer!

I bought my PCV new online from America for £185 and had a friend send it over. I didn't want to fit the PCIII because of the amount of space I have left under my seat which after taking into account my alarm, lock and chain is hardly any room at all!

The only problem however is the accompanying fitting instruction manual assumes you are fitting the PCV to a 2009 Fazer and therefor I ran into a couple of snags. Am I right in assuming there is no O2 sensor on a 2004 Fazer and if so does this effect the PCV's performance in anyway?

Secondly in the fitting instructions (www.cruisercustomizing.com/installguides/PC22-014.pdf) it states for advanced features to splice in a red a pink cable into the PCV and the other end goes into a pink cable coming out the back of a 3 way plug under the tank? Couldn't find this either on my bike so I had to give it a miss but I was just curious what I was missing out on?

Also I'm not exactly sure which firmware version I'm running but can anyone tell me if I'm missing out on features/performance/stability on the firmware that was installed on the unit straight out of the box?

I download and imported from the Power Commander website a PCIII map for scorpion cans and a K&N air filter for the FZ6 and then copied the input values to a PC5 map.

The bike has definitely got more punch but still going to get a profession tune as I would also like a map for track days!

As per the manual, the temperature setting goes to the green/white wire of the clear 6 pin you connected the PCV to.

The optional is the speed connection. That goes to the pink wire of the little white 3 pin near the other connections you made. This allows you to utilize the all gear maps that have different trims for different RPMs in different gears, AKA "Advanced" maps.

I found the all gear maps to be more than I need/ can handle at this point. However, it was a really simple splice with the included Posi-tap so I did it anyway.

As an added FYI, I have scorpion cans and could not find one for PCV do I grabbed the PCIII and imported, averaging the two for the missing column. My bike ran way rich on that map (mpg to 32) and the Autotune is still trimming it leaner after a few hundred miles. I still have the stock air filter as well.

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

In the instructions #5 says to disconnect the O2 sensor and that it will not be used. On the 06 and earlier FZ6 there was no O2 sensor so by default you're good to go.

REO has you hooked up on the other info..:D

Gadget

Reaction score
Visit site
The optional is the speed connection. That goes to the pink wire of the little white 3 pin near the other connections you made. This allows you to utilize the all gear maps that have different trims for different RPMs in different gears, AKA "Advanced" maps.

Thanks guys!

Well I found the 3 way pin near the other connectors as mentioned in the instructions but the colouring of the wires must be different on an 04 compared with an 09 Fazer as there was no pink wire to be found. I didn't want to risk splicing into the wrong cable and causing any damage so I think I'll leave that one to the experts when I get her tuned next week!

If only it would stop raining in London! :'-(

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys!

Well I found the 3 way pin near the other connectors as mentioned in the instructions but the colouring of the wires must be different on an 04 compared with an 09 Fazer as there was no pink wire to be found. I didn't want to risk splicing into the wrong cable and causing any damage so I think I'll leave that one to the experts when I get her tuned next week!

If only it would stop raining in London! :'-(

Good choice on waiting.
As far as I know the color codes should be the same 04 through 09. 2007 and up have an additional O2 sensor and some have ABS ECU and brake pump added. :D

Gadget

Reaction score
Visit site
So I just had my bike tuned/custom map for £150. I can definitely tell the difference from the custom map downloaded from power commander website even though it was the map with the scorpion cans and custom filter which is what I have on my bike.

My FZ6 is definitely faster and smoother through all the gears now plus more fuel efficient (or so I'm told).

A word to all, if you want to get the most from your power commander get it properly tuned from a trained professional!

Now then where is the sun shine? :uk:

Shiloh

Squire to Lord Bouche
Reaction score
Visit site
It has been two years since I got my PCV working correctly and other than some map changes, nothing has been updated, Firmware is /was still 1.2.

After checking around, I updated the firmware to the now current 1.8.13 level, and yes, no problems.

With the early issues with the FZ6 , batch injectors, and PCV firmware, thank you Power Commander, for getting it fixed, and fixed correctly. :thumbup: