My new FZ6N

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Good morning all - i just thought that i would make my first post to the site and say g'day.

I realise that there is a section of the forum dedicated to new rider intro, but i also wanted to ask a few questions that i thought one of you might know the answer to.

I have just bought a new FZ6N (as you'll see in my garage), and i am loving the beast. I am wondering though, what the differences between an FZ6 and the FZ6N are - i know that these are regular and S2 versions with a power difference, and i also realise that the FZ6 has a 'half fairing', but i am looking more from the forks back - whether or not a tank bra that suits an FZ6 from the same year would suit my FZ6N (10/08 plated, MY09 model). Also, whether or not other assorted extras that are made for the FZ6 would be a direct swap on my bike - rear linkages, cowls, huggers, sprockets, levers, rearsets, all that kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance for the help - and for all the information that the many of you have posted across the forum (i've been trawling for a few weeks now)

Rian

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Lol, I realize that, but I dont know how to upload a picture without finding somewhere to store it online - if someone could point me in the right direction for free online image storage that'd be great. I'm currently living in Townsville Kazza - where abouts are you?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm in Perth.

As for storing pictures, if you start albums in your home page, you shoudl be able to use that for online storage - gets backed up with the site as well.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for that :) and what're you doing all the way over there? Makes it a little difficult to organize a ride lol

Popeye70

Reaction score
Visit site
I do love the Tapatalk app - pictures from day one - 22km on the clock

Greetings from Norway, and welcome to the forum. :)

That is one sweet bike! I love the color scheme.

There are differences between the N and the S models, but that is all related to the naked/faired option. The S2 introduced bigger differences (new swing arm and more). Ask, and you will get answers. That is the beauty of this forum. :)

And yes, Tapatalk rules on both phone and pad. :rockon:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
S1 stands for series one, 2004-2006. S2 stands for Series 2, from 2007 - 2010.

The differences between the S1 and S2, is that the S2 got better front brakes (4 pot monoblock calipers on the front, rather than the 04-06 2 pot calipers), an 02 Sensor exhaust, 3 catalytic convertors (the extra two are in the headers), instead of just 1 on the S1 (which you can see in the mid pipe). The S2 gets removable pillion pegs, that detach from the sUb frame, where the S1's pillion footrests are welded to the sub frame. The S2 gets a cast swingarm, to match the cast frame, whereas the S1 gets a pressed steel box section swingarm. The S2 also got a new seat, a revised position for the coolant overflow tank (front of motor, instead of rear of motor on the S1). The Handlebar clamps are also different from S1 TO S2, one piece, instead of two piece. The instrument cluster is also different from S1 (ROUND), to S2 (TRIANGULAR), and it gives more information....engine air intake temp, and engine temp. The side radiator guards also changed from plastic (S1) to aliminium (S2). The chain tension adjustment system is also different on each version of the FZ6...due to different swingarm design. The S2 Also gained a helmet lock.

All version's of the FZ6, S1, S2, in both the naked , and faired S versions, and all identical other than fairing / non fairing. Although the FZ6S S1 Fairing design is different (slighlty) to the FZ6S S2 version. No FZ6Nhas ever come with a centre stand as OEM, whereas all FZ6S's have always come from the factory with a centre stand as OEM.

the S1 & S2 have identical motors, identical suspension, frame, ETC....Engine performance is identical for both models.

Might of missed one or two things, but i Hope that helps....

Welcome, by the way....happy riding.

:thumbup:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
now that is a beautiful bike... and yes I am biased, there is just something about the naked yellow and black. I commend you on your choice

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:I reckon Jamie's (Wolfman) got it covered. The other good thing about a nekkid is the headlight is better for night riding. The 'S' version will be dark on one side unless you do the dual headlight mod. And riding nekkid at night is what it's all about:eek::spank::spank::ban::D:BLAA:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I forgot, the radiator is slightlydifferent from S1 to S2, if only in that the radiator cap is mounted at about a 60 degree angle to the top edge of the radiator on the S1, whereas on the S2 the raiator cap sits straight with the top edge of the radiator...

also the horn is mounted on the left of the bike on FZ6S', and on the right on FZ6N's....

:D

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Love the color options you folks get there. Was the bike actually brand new when you got it.. I just noticed that it has no center stand :don'tknow:

P.S. You don't have to upload all pictures to album. You can attach pictures directly to each of your posts. Just scroll down past the "Submit Reply" button and you'll see "Manage Attachments".

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the 'commendations' - and especially thanks to Wolfman for the reply. I was originally going to send this to you in a PM, but decided that someone else might have the same question. You are something of a machine (albeit an obsessed one). I can see that I'm going to have a great time on this forum, and going to enjoy this bike for as long as i can.

Also, I bought the bike brand new, from a local dealer - it had just been registered as a demo bike (hence the 22km on clock).

And yeah - I wondered why no stand, and think it sucks that nekkid doesn't have it, but it helps with the mean, streamlined look. Wondering whether or not to drill and tap some swingarm spools and a race stand, or buy a padded swingarm stand... Decisions decisions.

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Btw, I was on streetbikes and saw a madass custom fz6, gone naked. Followed the link?... I believe it was Damien (sp?)

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for the 'commendations' - and especially thanks to Wolfman for the reply. I was originally going to send this to you in a PM, but decided that someone else might have the same question. You are something of a machine (albeit an obsessed one). I can see that I'm going to have a great time on this forum, and going to enjoy this bike for as long as i can.

Also, I bought the bike brand new, from a local dealer - it had just been registered as a demo bike (hence the 22km on clock).

And yeah - I wondered why no stand, and think it sucks that nekkid doesn't have it, but it helps with the mean, streamlined look. Wondering whether or not to drill and tap some swingarm spools and a race stand, or buy a padded swingarm stand... Decisions decisions.

Do yoursef a favour, and stay away from the padded swingarm stands, as soon as there is any moisture on the pad, or the swingarm, the bike starts sliding off. Do yourself a favour, and get some swingarm spools, tap a thread, and locktite the suckers in place...the difference is not even worth comparing in terms of convenience...

Yamaha will sell you a centrestand...my first FZ6N came with one...the previous owner had it installed after buying the bike new...Is a very handy addition if you wanna do a bit of touring, or carry out general maintenance on the bike yourself.

:thumbup:

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
I wad thinking about that, as a centrestand would be quite a good idea. Having said that, yamaha wants about $300 for it, so I might have to hold off for at least a little while.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No FZ6Nhas ever come with a centre stand as OEM, whereas all FZ6S's have always come from the factory with a centre stand as OEM.

D'OH That's what I get for not reading all the replies before posting :rolleyes: