My new '07 FZ6, RR, ramblings, etc.

M

mnormand

Thursday I snagged a beautiful blue 2007, all stock, mint, with only 600 miles. I've been reading this forum for some weeks now, and anything else FZ6. This is my 6th bike in about 2years, just got the urge to try many (used) trying to buy/sell smart, mostly dual sports. So far I've been lucky and pretty much rode everything for free, except the gear.

After just selling the 06 Triumph Tiger and wanting something not so heavy, I was in the market for a Jap sport/tourer, and kept being drawn to the Z. The usual Yamaha reasons, you know the drill, Jap bike, bulletproof, yada yada. The deals out there are stunning. :eek:

Short rides on the Z the last few days, but this morning was a great 150miler with all road conditions. Here are a few initial impressions..I'm no expert at all, but a casual rider, but want to contribute back.

Short clutch throw as discussed many times: no issues with me, I like it.

Brakes: no issues, next pads will be sintered tho.

Build/fit/finish: as usual, great. Just like my WR250R which I brag on relentlessly.

Exhaust: Very stealthy looking, but hot as mentioned. Certainly warms up the stock seat, and probably adds to its discomfort.

Stock screen: so far so good. Not changing anything, its hot here, and I need the clean air. No buffeting probs at my normal traveling speeds.

Transmission: fairly clean shifting, but bike is still very new. Oil change from Purple to my usual Shell Rotella shortly.

Footpegs: I may lower them soon.

Handlebars: definitely adding barback risers very soon. Know any used for sale?

I had an LED light panel from a previous bike, so I added to license plate, and wired to the license plate light, always on, to help followers see me better.

100_3070a.jpg

I've had a dual sport Alaskan Wool Pad since the first bike. Worked perfectly on every bike until this one. At first couldn't make this attach correctly, but then realized I could tuck the frond end under the front of the seat, and that would move the rear excess forward, create extra padding next to tank, and raise me a bit higher (I'm 6ft). I know this kinda takes away the pretty lines, but is so much better than stock, and works nicely if/until I want to do a Corbin or such. Definitely helps disperse the heat transmitted to the stock seat from exhaust.

100_3063.jpg

100_3064.jpg

So I hit the road about 8am this morning, and mixed it up with slab, curvy county roads, etc. Three stops for water, and 150mi later, I'm happy with everything so far.

100_3075.jpg

100_3078.jpg

My Garmin 60csx which I've had on every bike to date.

IMG_0151.jpg

100_3072.jpg

I'll run this awhile and see if its a keeper. I almost bought a Versys, Bandit, FZ1, but the exhausts on the Z got me. Also the HP for a 600 class bike. I'm still breaking this in, so haven't gone to redline yet :rockon:

Ok that's it for now, love the bike so far, some things are a compromise, but consider myself very lucky to have a wife, and -two- Yamahas! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Drinky

the Dutchguy
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOWER the footpegs? I hate the position of em when taking corners, the constant scraping sucks, Soon I'm putting my bike in winter storage, but next year I'm removing the things at the end, removing my center stand, and have a lot more fun cornering.

Why on earth would you want to lower them?? you gonna put on some training wheels? :p

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the bike! You'll love it! :rockon:

And do whatever you want to it. If it makes you happy/comfortable then it's the right move.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
LOWER the footpegs? I hate the position of em when taking corners, the constant scraping sucks, Soon I'm putting my bike in winter storage, but next year I'm removing the things at the end, removing my center stand, and have a lot more fun cornering.

Why on earth would you want to lower them?? you gonna put on some training wheels? :p

If you're still scraping pegs after the first touchdown, shouldn't you be off the seat a lot more to keep the bike more upright in the corners? :D

BTW, OP... Nice find!!!! Congrats!!

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. Your Garmin model and setup on the bar is exactly like mine.

Looks like you're a big guy. I can see why you want to mod the foot pegs. Good luck and hope you find the bike very comfortable.

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
Another ADVrider, eh? fyyff :rockon:

i like you picked up a pretty much mint '07 FZ6 with 800 miles on it for cheap in mid june. Just crossed the 5100 mile mark today. sweet little ride, working on modding mine up a bit and its become pretty damned practical and comfortable.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet FZ. I have the same bike (The best color of blue also) I picked up a year ago April and absolutly love it. I have done a bunch of mostly cosmetic mods but will do the suspension and exhaust this coming winter. Enjoy. Be safe and have fun!

edski

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're still scraping pegs after the first touchdown, shouldn't you be off the seat a lot more to keep the bike more upright in the corners? :D

Maybe Drinky is pushing the bike under him while cornering, like dirt bike style. It's the only way I can get anything to touch down. Or maybe he has the rear shock set on 1 :D

Hanging one cheek off or just dipping my shoulder gets me around bends with out being close to scraping the feelers even when I hit them hot enough to get the adrenaline flowing. I would think the OP feels he has the clearance to get a little more leg room on the FZ6 by lowering the pegs (somehow).

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
right on another FZ ADVrider I use mine for some light fire road work you will find it works very well for it if you take your time and stay off the front brake.Congrats on the good find:rockon:

motopete

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey nice bike, and great color. Just wait until ya can redline. At 8000rpm it becomes a comletely different bike. I love mine!

FZ6771

Reaction score
Visit site
Thursday I snagged a beautiful blue 2007, all stock, mint, with only 600 miles. I've been reading this forum for some weeks now, and anything else FZ6. This is my 6th bike in about 2years, just got the urge to try many (used) trying to buy/sell smart, mostly dual sports. So far I've been lucky and pretty much rode everything for free, except the gear.

After just selling the 06 Triumph Tiger and wanting something not so heavy, I was in the market for a Jap sport/tourer, and kept being drawn to the Z. The usual Yamaha reasons, you know the drill, Jap bike, bulletproof, yada yada. The deals out there are stunning. :eek:

Short rides on the Z the last few days, but this morning was a great 150miler with all road conditions. Here are a few initial impressions..I'm no expert at all, but a casual rider, but want to contribute back.

Short clutch throw as discussed many times: no issues with me, I like it.

Brakes: no issues, next pads will be sintered tho.

Build/fit/finish: as usual, great. Just like my WR250R which I brag on relentlessly.

Exhaust: Very stealthy looking, but hot as mentioned. Certainly warms up the stock seat, and probably adds to its discomfort.

Stock screen: so far so good. Not changing anything, its hot here, and I need the clean air. No buffeting probs at my normal traveling speeds.

Transmission: fairly clean shifting, but bike is still very new. Oil change from Purple to my usual Shell Rotella shortly.

Footpegs: I may lower them soon.

Handlebars: definitely adding barback risers very soon. Know any used for sale?

I had an LED light panel from a previous bike, so I added to license plate, and wired to the license plate light, always on, to help followers see me better.

100_3070a.jpg

I've had a dual sport Alaskan Wool Pad since the first bike. Worked perfectly on every bike until this one. At first couldn't make this attach correctly, but then realized I could tuck the frond end under the front of the seat, and that would move the rear excess forward, create extra padding next to tank, and raise me a bit higher (I'm 6ft). I know this kinda takes away the pretty lines, but is so much better than stock, and works nicely if/until I want to do a Corbin or such. Definitely helps disperse the heat transmitted to the stock seat from exhaust.

100_3063.jpg

100_3064.jpg

So I hit the road about 8am this morning, and mixed it up with slab, curvy county roads, etc. Three stops for water, and 150mi later, I'm happy with everything so far.

100_3075.jpg

100_3078.jpg

My Garmin 60csx which I've had on every bike to date.

IMG_0151.jpg

100_3072.jpg

I'll run this awhile and see if its a keeper. I almost bought a Versys, Bandit, FZ1, but the exhausts on the Z got me. Also the HP for a 600 class bike. I'm still breaking this in, so haven't gone to redline yet :rockon:

Ok that's it for now, love the bike so far, some things are a compromise, but consider myself very lucky to have a wife, and -two- Yamahas! :D
Nice bike I have 2 blue 07 FZ6's one with really tall handle bars. Where in Louisiana are you, I'm from there too lived all over the state.

crazydmc

Reaction score
Visit site
Another ADVrider, eh? fyyff :rockon:

i like you picked up a pretty much mint '07 FZ6 with 800 miles on it for cheap in mid june. Just crossed the 5100 mile mark today. sweet little ride, working on modding mine up a bit and its become pretty damned practical and comfortable.

interesting... In September 2008, I found my 2007 Blue FZ6 with only 500 miles on it... has 14,000 on it now... great bike. :thumbup:

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey great find! Too bad it's that slower color:D Kiddin! My poor bike has been sitting in the garage for the last couple weeks 'cause its cooolllld:( Im jealous of your nice riding weather. Does that fuzzy seat cover help with sore-butt-syndrome for the longer rides?

Last edited: