my naked bike conversition

nealelliott

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm so glad I found this forum! I bought my FZ6 new in 06' after 7 months of having fun with it I ended dropping on RT50 in maryland. the tank took a major hit including the front faring, headlight etc.. the first pic is the before. I bought the universal faring from flying cycle and bar mirrors and a tank off of ebay. had the side covers and tank painted now all thats left is fit and finish.

I'm having some problems with the fork mounts for the fairing the rubber is too small for the forks has anyone had this problem here? if so how did you cut it so it would fit?

after I figure that out i'm going to weld some brackets to hold the faring in place better and a mount for the stock speedo.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same issue... I just cut 2 slices (3/4" wide each) of the rubber piece and glued them on the inside of the fork clamps (one on each side). Then once everything was mounted to the forks, I cut the visible parts of the rubber through the holes in the clamps... that finished it and it looked clean :)

Good luck finishing your project and post more pics when you're done!

nealelliott

Reaction score
Visit site
hate to resurrect a post from the dead, but I just wanted to add my final pics of the bike. after I added the fairing I had fun with the bike all summer long.

however, the headlight for the dash fairing sucks. for some reason the bulbs got really hot and melted the inside of the faring. so I'm back to finding a suitable replacement.

nealelliott

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks man, here is a front picture of the bike. currently it doesn't look like this because I need a better solution for my headlight problem. I really like the fairing but the headlight sucks! I'm looking for a LED solution to fit in where the headlights go.

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The problem is likely the bulbs in the fairing itself. That looks like the one from fly-n-cycle that has 35 watt bulbs and isn't DOT approved. If your set on keeping that fairing/headlight, maybe look into a projector beam retrofit or a way to mount an H3 bulb in them as is.

nealelliott

Reaction score
Visit site
armystrong: thanks, I live in crofton

Mexi-can't: yea I bought the fairing from fly-n-cycle. I noticed ( after the fact ) on the back of the headlight plastic it said it was rated for 18w bulbs LOL what the hell kind of bulb is bright enough at 18W?????