My homemade Pelican luggage system

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Just got the bike out for spring and finished my luggage system. It might look simple but a lot of thought and work went in to it. Here where my goals:

1. Use my existing pelican luggage hardcases.
2. Have no sign of system on bike when not in use.
3. Quick mount and dismount. Takes 1.5 minutes
4. Use of passenger foot pegs as support as I never carry passengers.
5. Uses only 1/4" pins and thumb screws. 4 total. No tools needed.
6. Minimal Cost
7. Low mounting if possible

What I came up with mounts in 3 places.
1. The rear support beneath license plate.
2.The foot peg.
3. Securing thumb screw behind foot peg to keep everything tight.

The cases themselves had to be slightly modified. Internally I had to brace and place inserts for the threaded thumbscrews and pins.

After getting everything completed my main concern was the clearance of the larger case while turning. I took it to a big parking lot to test everything with fast hard turns. I never got a hint of scrape so I think Im ok on clearance. I dont plan on riding MOTO GP with these cases on anyway.

Last edited:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks awesome, but 1 thing, once the box's are fully loaded with luggage this will bring the weight up on the back, lowering the spring a little more, so it might be worth testing the box's in corners fully loaded. or up the rebound on the rear suspension a turn or two just to help things out

Other then that the idea is awesome

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks cool. But... different sizes? This can be changed, I know, but aesthetics, man, aesthetics!!! :spank:

Jokes aside, this does look cool. Those pelicans are almost bulletproof. When I had my KLR, i made my sidecases out of two 1440 (i think) top loader cases. I also calculated that if I added one more case, my bike would actually FLOAT if needed.

Cheers,

TS

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
It think your cases might drag if you get a good lean on. Looks cool though.

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
I think what I might do is get a second 1550 case (the smaller one). That way they will be matching. There is no way the smaller one will hit on a hard turn. I think you guys are right the bigger case is pushing it as far as clearance.

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
SO I switched the larger case to a smaller Pelican 1500 I had laying around. It fits much better and I have plenty of clearance now. I have been riding around with 30lb sand bags in each side for the last couple days to test everything out. It has held up easily and I have not been taking it easy. Definetely worth the time.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i dunno.. looks cool, but what about at speed... certainly do not need a case falling off and hitting someone behind you... looks like it is engineered good, but i would constantly be doing a one over to make sure nothing falls off..

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Like it! now you have surface for GoPro, K&N, and states/countries visited stickers!

I'd definitely check the mounting periodically. I have a Givi setup now, and once one of my E21 sidecases decided to detach right as i was passing an intersection in NYC. The nice thing about the inertia is that the case keeps moving in the same direction after it hits the ground (unlike in hollywood chases where villains drop something off a car and it goes flying supersonic toward the good guys barely missing them), but the sphincter-reducing feeling you get when you see one of your sidecases fall on the ground behind you is not something I'd recommend.

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been checking it religisously. There was one bolt I needed to change but thats been it. As fas as speed I have done low 100's no problem. Above 80 you do hear a slight whistling from the drag.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd definitely check the mounting periodically. I have a Givi setup now, and once one of my E21 sidecases decided to detach right as i was passing an intersection in NYC. The nice thing about the inertia is that the case keeps moving in the same direction after it hits the ground (unlike in hollywood chases where villains drop something off a car and it goes flying supersonic toward the good guys barely missing them), but the sphincter-reducing feeling you get when you see one of your sidecases fall on the ground behind you is not something I'd recommend.

i only brought it up due to me loosing a give top case. Can't for the life of me figure out how it happened, but it did. and alot of engineering went into it. just dont want to see you loose a side case over not checking. good luck!! :thumbup:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Can you post close-ups of the mounting gear on the passenger pegs? I never use mine either and have always wanted to mount luggage there.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't like the sound of using wing nuts. Vibration on these bikes is horrible. Keep a tube of locktite with you for when you are putting them on.

The leverage of being able to use a spanner and some locking nuts would be much more reassuring personally. A single spanner won't take up much space/weight.

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Sure here it is. There are three mounting points.

1. The passenger foot pegs. Bracket that slides on.
2. The back of the foot peg. Heavy duty 1/4 stainless thumb screw.
3. Rear mount with aluminum tube.

The second mounting point can't be seen in pictures. It doesnt support weight but just makes sure everything stays tight and square. I could probably do without it but its just more security.

The cases themselves had to be modified. I added stainless machine screw inserts on the inside. The rear tube mount uses 1/4" locking pin directly to the cases.

randysway

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. It looks pretty jerry rigged, but as long as it's sturdy enough to hold all your stuff right?
Pretty nifty.

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Dam I was going for not being jerry rigged. In addition to the cases it held me standing on them. I weigh 170. These cases arent going anywhere.

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Great work, man. I've got full Givi's on my FZ6, but I might attempt to do something like that on my FZ6. You should hit those brackets with a coat of flat black spraypaint or powdercoat, and then randysway will change his mind about it being jerry-rigged.