My FZ6 was suddenly feeling so weird....

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
On my way home from work today I stopped and filled up with fuel and was about 10 blocks from home and started into a familiar corner and my handlebars took jerk to the side that felt weird. I had heard of poorer performance with a totally full tank but wow it seemed excessive. No, couldn't be, did the back tire come lose from me tightening my own chain?, didn't smell any rubber.Was my headset broken from wheelies? Looked at my front tire as I slowed down out of the curve, looked great, not flat. By this time I know something is obviously wrong but what? Now I am thinking, better pull over in as safe a place as quick possible right now! So I pull over and sure enough my rear tire is losing air fast. What I don't get is why it felt so weird up front? Was it the full tank of fuel? Flat tires on the back of my dirt bike (RM250) never feel like that, and I know because I have done up a couple of them. It was a new experience for me for sure I am just glad it didn't lose more air before that turn...

Last edited:

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
On my way home from work today I stopped and filled up with fuel and was about 10 blocks from home and started into a familiar corner and my handlebars took jerk to the side that felt weird. I had heard of this but wow it seemed excessive. No, couldn't be, did the back tire come lose from me tightening my own chain?, didn't smell any rubber.Was my headset broken from wheelies? Looked at my front tire as I slowed down out of the curve, looked great, not flat. By this time I know something is obviously wrong but what? Now I am thinking, better pull over in as safe a place as possible right now! So I pull over and sure enough my rear tire is losing air fast. What I don't get is why it felt so weird up front? Was it the full tank of fuel? Flat tires on the back of my dirt bike (RM250) never feel like that, and I know because I have done up a couple of them. It was a new experience for me for sure I am just glad it didn't lose more air before that turn...

If you're holding the handle bars to tight, any movement in the back is transfered to the front via your body.

Edit: reverse what I said. anything from the front is transfered to the back. you might have ran it over with your front but the rear (thankfully) is all that got damaged

Last edited:

thetimanator

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a nail in my rear tire a couple weeks ago. I rode a couple miles before figuring out that i had a flat. Every time I took a turn it felt like the bike just wanted to fall over, I was fighting to get it back upright coming out of the turn.

oh well, $180 and I was back on the road! :rockon:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you may have just perceived it in the front, if the rear tire is softer and squishes through a corner and the front stays put, then the bike will be out of whack. You have more feeling in the front since you have hands and weight over the front.

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
What about steering head bearings? I had a similar thing like that happen on my last bike and the head bearing needed replacing....I noticed you have an 05

Just a thought....

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The feeling you describe is exactly what it feels like when your tyre is going down. It feels just like the back tyre has gone over a patch of diesel.

If you ever feel it again stop and check it out.

You have learnt something else about motorbikes ;Ø)

Steve

fireman

Reaction score
Visit site
Your very lucky I had the back tire blow out going around a corner. Before I even knew what was going on the bike was on its side headed for the ditch.

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
Your very lucky I had the back tire blow out going around a corner. Before I even knew what was going on the bike was on its side headed for the ditch.

WOW,I bet it happened fast, you make it out OK?
What caused it?
I worry about that stuff so even though I am cheap about some things I bought a new back tie even though my old one only has 3,500 miles on it, and I am sure I could plug it.But no, I ride fast sometimes so it's a good investment I think, even though I only just found out that the best thing to do is replace them and was not expecting that at all.