my FZ6 crapped out on me

S

sportrider

I was riding home from work yesturday, I had a 1/2 tank of fuel, and while running at around 100MPH my bike started missing and bucking pretty bad. I made it home but wasn't sure if I was going to. I covered the cluth just incase it locked up, but it didn't. I got no check engine light or oil light, so I'm not sure whats going on with it. I have 17200 miles on the clock, I'm going to change the spark plugs and see if that clears it up (I hope). any other suggestions? :(

My best guess (based on automotive knowlege, not bikes) is that you may have either an alternator problem or a battery/battery connection problem that doesn't put up a MIL code.
If it was engine management related, it should put up a MIL code....?
I see you live in CA, but was it raining by any chance?
If it is fuel related, it's more likely a fuel delivery issue from the tank, I'd say.
Have you done any work on your bike recently/washed your bike recently?
Hope this helps. :)

no, I haven't done anything lately. I rode in the rain a few days ago but I've logged 200+ miles since with no issues till this.

I hope it's a cheap fix!!! otherwise I'll be changing my name to "Sportrider_Ninja250"

I was riding home from work yesturday, I had a 1/2 tank of fuel, and while running at around 100MPH my bike started missing and bucking pretty bad. I made it home but wasn't sure if I was going to. I covered the cluth just incase it locked up, but it didn't. I got no check engine light or oil light, so I'm not sure whats going on with it. I have 17200 miles on the clock, I'm going to change the spark plugs and see if that clears it up (I hope). any other suggestions? :(

I know on the 07s and 08s, you can pull up the diagnostic info and see the last code(s) that the system threw. I am presuming that you can do this on 04s-06s, so go dig up a service manual and check that? I did that when my battery gave me issues and it had a code indicating that there wasn't enough power to the fuel pump, which confirmed my power suspicions.

I agree that it's probably a fuel problem. I wouldn't bother changing the spark plugs, there's simply no way that they could cause this kind of behavior.

If it's not a low battery, start checking the electrical connectors to the fuel pump. Maybe one is loose. Hopefully the loose connection is not inside the tank.

Does the problem happen when the bike is stopped on the centerstand? If so, do you hear the pump cutting out?

Fred

I disagree about the plugs, last fall my car started bucking and surging fairly violently all of a sudden and it threw a code, when i had the code read it was "Multiple cylinder mis-fire" and since i don;t have a distributor or plug wires in the car (coil packs with computer controlled ignition) i changed the plugs and it ran like a charm.

Of course that was after 103,000 miles on the stock plugs...

Good luck with the trouble shooting.

Hi Danny,
You haven't posted for ages and when you do its bad news. Gutted for you.
I think running off an error code is a good idea.

Nelly

Hi Danny,
You haven't posted for ages and when you do its bad news. Gutted for you.
I think running off an error code is a godd idea.

Nelly
ya I haven't really had much to say lately, wish I didn't have this to say now!!! on the good side I've managed to get almost 5000 miles out of my last set of tires, was going to get new ones this week but now I'm going to wait and see if I can clear up this issue first.

Ignition Malfunction (sparkplugs are a good spot)
Ignition Malfunction (battery)
Intake Air Leak (check all hoses are connected)

Last edited:
You are suppose to check the spark plugs every 4000mi and replace them every 8000mi. I've changed them twice so far and both times I could tell it ran better. Motorcycle plugs fire 2 to 3 times faster than car plugs and they can and do wear out. Even if they look good replace them anyway.

Yes its plugs every 8k. Think about it 14,000 rpm redline. Normal operation (for some people) 8-9k them plugs take a pounding. Its not like a car, where rpm is normal.

It's been my experience that a sudden change in an engine's performance is generally electrical in nature, more progressive problems are usually mechanical.

I vote for fouled plugs.

And now I know why I like scopes as opposed to code readers. I would be more inclined to think it was a fuel issue because it would be unlikely that all 4 plugs took a dump at the same time. I will however say the FZ6 uses independent coils meaning there is one for cylinders 1/4 and one for cylinders 2/3. It also uses a crank position sensor, A malfunction in any one of these can cause this type of problem. As far as battery condition goes, the minimum open circuit voltage is 12.8vdc at 68 degrees (F) or 20 degrees (C). Was the engine cutting out or missing?

I'm confused

You want to be banned and then you'll give an answer? :confused:

Sorry. I was going to write something like, "Boot the FZ6 and maybe it will start!" You know, like in the Flintstones?

I thought that joke was lame, so I changed my text to the right answer. Sparkplugs. Those WILL cause violent staggers if even one starts to fail.

The problem is electrical. Fuel problems will never cause violent staggers (unless you're using low octane by accident, which I doubt). Especially if you already ran it down half the tank.

CanadianFZ6 would be very happy to see me banned. If you want to make him happy, then by all means go for it. You may want to make a decision quick however, because Raid wants to do something about the bullying.

Back