my first ride alone

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well...I just got my licence & FZ6 back in November. And since I live in Colorado, riding days in the winter & spring are are limited, so I haven't been out a whole lot. And never without the watchful eye of my husband. He spends more time looking in his rearview mirror than at the road! So after reading about Whirlygirls adventure, I decided to go out today by myself (he's on a bike trip with some buddies)! I've been reading Proficient Motorcycling, so I took the bike to a nice BIG parking lot & practiced everything I could from my training classes. Had fun!
I feel like a big girl now :Sport:

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you! Congrats. I am trying to get my wife into it. Ofcourse, having a brand new baby at home doesn't help in terms of time. But, soon enough...I'll sign her up for the MSF course. Enjoy the riding and take it easy the first 3 months. The key is to just keep riding - you'll get more and more comfortable.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well...I just got my licence & FZ6 back in November. And since I live in Colorado, riding days in the winter & spring are are limited, so I haven't been out a whole lot. And never without the watchful eye of my husband. He spends more time looking in his rearview mirror than at the road! So after reading about Whirlygirls adventure, I decided to go out today by myself (he's on a bike trip with some buddies)! I've been reading Proficient Motorcycling, so I took the bike to a nice BIG parking lot & practiced everything I could from my training classes. Had fun!
I feel like a big girl now :Sport:
Well done mate,

Its hard when your riding time is limited. small steps pay huge dividens in the end. fair play to you for getting a safe place to pull it all togeather before getting on the road.

Nelly

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Kudos to you... Keep doing it... your confidence will only grow... Remember that your front brake is your life... practice using it as much as possible:thumbup:

ADK2OBX

Reaction score
Visit site
Rock on girl...keep riding and one day your adventures will be Zen like...an addiction.. and when the snow hits you will suffer the 2 wheel withdrawal symtoms...ie. staring at your bike while in the garage sitting on it while making motor boat noises....lol... believe me i know...so take advantage of every chance you get... it will pay off...:rockon:

H

HavBlue

This is a very good thing and I love riding alone. I would however question your husband (presumably the more experienced rider) being in front when you ride. Generally speaking the experienced rider would be better off at the rear thus allowing him/her to critique things that occurred on the ride.

Keep it up....

Gigot2000

L'Bon Dieu Amen
Reaction score
Visit site
Or is it the opposite? The experienced one shows the good way to handle the bike (speed, line curve, distance to break, aliens to avoid on the road) and the beginner copycats everything after that. I'm not sure I want to see her miss the curve and tell her after if "after" is still possible. Usually in a bigger group the most advanced is in the front, the second most advanced is in the back and the rest of the bunch is in the middle, by level of experience. The other way around (novice than experienced) seems more appropriate for finesse teaching like race school. Oh well, I ride alone anyway and never taught to anyone so my point is......hmmm.... my point is ride and ride, and have fun! :)

fazer_warrior

Reaction score
Visit site
hi :)

very good idea to go out by yourself! I felt quite anxious and uneasy when I took my first bike out, let's say the first month or two... after going out for rides by myself, I gradually calmed down and my reactions grew more confident.

just keep on riging :)

all the best,
Silvia

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
congrats on the solo ride, i agree with blue and also Gigot, you should spend some time in front and behind the more experienced rider, although the majority of it being followed by the experienced, that will teach you to pick your own lines, ride your comfortable speed through corners, and he can observe you and help give pointers.

Gigot's method runs the risk of the inexperienced rider trying to "Keep up" and could ride over their comfort level. Although it is very helpful to see how it is done properly, it can be dangerous to try to do it right off the bat.

Gigot2000

L'Bon Dieu Amen
Reaction score
Visit site
This may sounds like hijacking now but I need to add this for the misunderstanding. You'll need to keep up with an unexperienced "show it all" teacher. You won't with a good one. After a 21 hours course (17 hours in close environment, 4 hours on the road which is obligatory here in Quebec to obtain a motorcycle license), I never felt to keep up with the teacher. It couldn't be safer. Even with a group of 4 behind him, he could tell everything we did wrong. He was a great, amazing teacher and I've learned a lot from him.
Showing up should never be a part of the teaching and keeping up should never be an option for the learner (if it's the case, dump him, you'll be safer by yourself). On the contrary, it's in the definition of the teacher to keep up with the student. He/she should know even before you start your engine what level you're riding. Like in school, we don't learn about rocket science in 1st grade.
Baby steps is the way to go and the FZ6 is maybe one of the best bike to adapt your learning curve. Hell, I'm still learning after a year and 25000km!
This is without a doubt a bad teacher ------> :Sport::D

H

HavBlue

This may sounds like hijacking now but I need to add this for the misunderstanding. You'll need to keep up with an unexperienced "show it all" teacher. You won't with a good one. After a 21 hours course (17 hours in close environment, 4 hours on the road which is obligatory here in Quebec to obtain a motorcycle license), I never felt to keep up with the teacher. It couldn't be safer. Even with a group of 4 behind him, he could tell everything we did wrong. He was a great, amazing teacher and I've learned a lot from him.
Showing up should never be a part of the teaching and keeping up should never be an option for the learner (if it's the case, dump him, you'll be safer by yourself). On the contrary, it's in the definition of the teacher to keep up with the student. He/she should know even before you start your engine what level you're riding. Like in school, we don't learn about rocket science in 1st grade.
Baby steps is the way to go and the FZ6 is maybe one of the best bike to adapt your learning curve. Hell, I'm still learning after a year and 25000km!
This is without a doubt a bad teacher ------> :Sport::D

The problem we face here is they are not teachers in most cases and simply riders. While they may have been riding for years they ride to their own pace which in many cases is too fast for the new rider. In a large group (read as many bikes and generally more than 20-25 it has been my experience the ride Captain will have an extremely experienced rider running tail dragger (sweep). that rider will know where the group is going and how the group is getting there. Just in front of the dragger are the least experienced riders as you do not want an inexperienced group of riders in the middle of the pack as this is asking for trouble. It also creates a slinky effect as the new riders generally have trouble maintaining a set speed. If I am out with a new rider I generally take them away from traffic and out to a place where they can run free of hazards while learning to lean and turn. They also learn braking but this involves both leading and following on a one on one ride. I would rather they asked if we could speed up as opposed to me riding to my own comfort which would be way to fast for them. You're riding with a newb and need to keep this in mind.

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I moved the thread for a better place. Hope you don't mind.

You've brought up very good points about driving with and as a newbie. When I started my first season I went alone on most of my rides. And when I was riding with someone I usually took the last place on the group. (Second if there were only two of us.) I still tend to do so but nowadays it's more that who knows the way, goes first.

To be honest it P/O's me if the others drive way too fast for me and then have to wait for me in every turn. I'm not going to drive faster than I can. I mean what's the point in group drive if one is coming behind like miles away from the others?!?

And I could rant for hours about those who make me go first so I can go my own pace and then hover impatiently too close my rear tire. If I know the ride will be like this I prefer going alone.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I haven't been in a group situation yet. Other than husband & son. And I don't care how far I might lag behind when I do get into a group....I figured they can always take a nice butt break till I get there, right? Some of you commented on riding in front of and or behind the experienced riders.....I like being behind so I can watch what he's doing. I have been in the lead, just a few times round the neighborhood, so he can see my progress. But I assure you all that I'm having a blast & will continue to learn while I ride.
And I'm so glad I found this forum...it has been helpful & hilarius.

mustanggirl1975

Reaction score
Visit site
and when the snow hits you will suffer the 2 wheel withdrawal symtoms...ie. staring at your bike while in the garage sitting on it while making motor boat noises....lol... believe me i know...:rockon:

I can just see it now !!!! That WILL be me come December. :p

I haven't made it out bymyself yet, my boyfriend wants to make sure i'm good and ready, and I've only been riding for 3 months now, but I'm sure I'll get there.

Good luck with it and have fun :)

H

HavBlue

I haven't been in a group situation yet. Other than husband & son. And I don't care how far I might lag behind when I do get into a group....I figured they can always take a nice butt break till I get there, right? Some of you commented on riding in front of and or behind the experienced riders.....I like being behind so I can watch what he's doing. I have been in the lead, just a few times round the neighborhood, so he can see my progress. But I assure you all that I'm having a blast & will continue to learn while I ride. And I'm so glad I found this forum...it has been helpful & hilarious.

IMHO: you should care a great deal about how far your ride partners leave you behind. As a new rider the risks involved in you going down are far greater than the experienced rider/riders you are with. Leaving the newb behind to the point you can not see them in your mirrors is asking for trouble.

Regardless of your following to gather experience or leading so your experience can be critiqued by the more experienced rider, a good combination of both will increase your experiences and shorten the learning curve. It will always be an advantage when riding with a coach you can trust and hopefully that coach has enough experience to move you through the early period of you riding experience with no faults at all.

jfz6

Not Here Enough
Premium Member
Reaction score
web.mac.com
I wish I had people to ride with period! My neighbor has a cruiser and we have been riding together a few times but because of work schedules it has only been at night.

Happy to see you are riding. Have fun, congratulations, and stay safe.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
H i There kinda a late posting but never quit praticeing your skills. I have been riding for only 1 year. I rode 30 years ago so I had to start all over again. I still like to set up some cones in a empty parking lot and pratice the cone weave and doing U turns as tight as I can. It makes a BIG difference when you get out on the street it really
builds your'e confidence.

Chimneydoc

Epic Ed

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, congrats! I understand the trepidation -- I'm in similar shoes, myself. Those first cruises out into real traffic can be intimidating. Nice job riding at your own pace and making it back home safe.

Ed