My Chopped & Painted Stock Screen

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
With the summer heat, I decided I needed cooling off a bit on the way home from work in my leathers. I'm an ICT teacher and so 7-8 hours in a room full of computers and teenagers pumping out heat I'm usually already boiling and want to do everything I can to cool down.

I love my Puig racing screen as it looks great and is quieter than the stock. I decided to chop as much of the stock screen off as I could and paint it to improve the looks a bit. This way the wind hits my whole chest and cools me off. There's more pressure pushing me back at higher speeds but its still damn quiet and I really like the look.

I chopped about an inch off the screen. I couldn't find my hacksaw and just used the dremel. I left about 6-7mm above the edge of the stop screw hole and to be honest this was a bit short as it now sits below the top of the fairing! Not really noticeable though. I then used a file and a knife to smooth off the edges loads. Unfortunately, I was watching TV at the same time and the dremel slipped a couple of times and didn't do the screen any good! I finally sanded the inside of the screen with fine sandpaper to prepare it for painting and gave the whole thing a good wash.

Here you can see the screen after cutting:-

To protect from stone-chips etc, you need to paint the inside of the screen, so I masked off the edges of the outside:-

I then taped a bit of paper over that to cover the whole thing:-

The bike looks pretty damn badass with no screen at all. I'd like to see someone just chop the whole top off from just below the second screen bolt and use barend mirrors! It just looks a bit strange when looking close at some bits:-

I used black gloss Plastikote for the screen. The painting took me ages! I'm not sure if it's the paint or the dust and muck in my garage and it kept getting messed up. Then I'd have to sand and repaint. When I'd finally got it smooth, I used two coats of Halfords clearcoat to finish it off.

Here you can see the Puid racing screen versus my chopped and painted screen:-

Here the screen is looking damn nice:-

Here you can see how much shorter the screen is compared to the Puig:-

I put screen trim over the edge of the screen to make it look more finished and cover the imperfections from my dremeling. Here is the screen from the rider's position:-

And a view from the front:-

And a side view:-

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
No pictures :(

They all say, "This image or video has been moved or deleted"
Lol. That was quick! Yeah I noticed and changed them straight away. Should work now if you refresh. I had the links saying they were gif files instead of jpg!!! :D

dturpen

Gamer/Bike Enthusiast
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome. I love the way a painted black screen looks.

Where did you get the screen trim? The edges of my paint aren't perfect, and I would love to have some trim to cover it up.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks amazing, Sanger! :thumbup:

Two questions. What kind of footpegs are those? I'm thinking about changing mine out and I really like those.

And...could you post a picture of your bike from the side? I noticed you removed your rear footpeg assemblies and I've always wondered what the newer FZ6 would look like without those cluttering up the rear.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome. I love the way a painted black screen looks.

Where did you get the screen trim? The edges of my paint aren't perfect, and I would love to have some trim to cover it up.
Any bike accessories supplier will sell it cheap. I bought mine from Halfords (a UK car accessories chain, which sells a few bike bits too). It only costs £5. You should be able to find loads of suppliers on ebay in the US or any local bike shops.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks amazing, Sanger! :thumbup:

Two questions. What kind of footpegs are those? I'm thinking about changing mine out and I really like those.

And...could you post a picture of your bike from the side? I noticed you removed your rear footpeg assemblies and I've always wondered what the newer FZ6 would look like without those cluttering up the rear.
If you click on my website link in my signature, then Fazer mods, you can see a list of all my mods with loads of pictures. There are also links to my forum posts about them on here.

The footpegs are made by a local company called Oberon - but they're available online too. They are nice. Don't buy the round style though as they are agony for riding for more than half an hour. I had them on my old bike.

Binks33

Reaction score
Visit site
looks really good i painted mine to, came out great but did'nt look good on the blue but on the black bikes :canada::bow: but if i could chop it down like u did mmmmmmmmmmmm.:D

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
oops dont know what happened with the flag.:don'tknow:
Lol. Obviously pride in the ... um ... country next to you! :D

Thanks for the positive comments. How has your paint held up so far? I'm interested to know if it's all going to start peeling or chipping off my screen soon! :eek:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Revival time!

do you notice any more or less buffeting around your helmet. and im also thinking about doing this but cutting a little more concave (leave all bolts but cut down into the "v" channel, so the top of the screen in the center is flat to the sides of the "V") so it would be slightly shorter even than yours.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Revival time!

do you notice any more or less buffeting around your helmet. and im also thinking about doing this but cutting a little more concave (leave all bolts but cut down into the "v" channel, so the top of the screen in the center is flat to the sides of the "V") so it would be slightly shorter even than yours.

The shorter the better, in terms of air flow to the helmet. I also had sides cut on mine (like BMW stock screen). It helped a lot, but it still wasn't nearly as good as full naked, sorry to say.

screentint1.jpg

screentint2.jpg

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Revival time!

TBH I only used this for about a day because there was just too much windblast trying to throw me off the bike at higher speeds! My current screen is a massive tinted Cee-Bailey that I love. Pretty much the opposite of this mod! When I sell the bike I'll sell my current screen and put this cut-down one back on though.