My bike got stuck in the water

Flooded FZ6

Wow, I hate to see that stuff. Best of luck to you.

I had a 1993 Katana 750 that was flooded underwater in my apartment's garage. My apartment was in a flood plain and I wasn't informed of this when I moved in. Anyways, I was at work with my car, but my motorcycle was in the garage and it was submersed.

I had comprehensive insurance coverage on it and it was covered, and they actually paid me more for the bike than I paid to purchase it....

After the insurance agent came and agreed to total it, I was able to get it up and running. I washed all of the mud off of the bike, let everything dry out, and drained out the contaminated oil (the crankcase was full of water). The engine started rather easily, but it was carbureted, so there weren't any sensors to get damaged by the water. I ran it for a few minutes, then drained the oil again, which was still frothy and filled it with more cheap oil. I repeated this one more time and it seemed to be okay.

After the insurance guy paid me, some knuckle-dragger shows up with a rollback truck to retrieve the motorcycle. He wrapped a chain to the Katana, and literally dragged it up onto the truck bed on it's side. Even though they paid me for the bike, it hurt seeing them just drag the bike on it side, when the bodywork wasn't damaged....

Just an update
So, the bike is still at the mechanics and he said we need the ECU.
How much will that cost and could someone give me the part no. please?
Many thanks.

just the cdi is rrp $797.05 part number 4S8-8591A-00
but you may need the whole ignition set i cant quiet remeber, if so its
rrp $1503.34 and the part number is 5S5-W8250-00
neither of the parts are in stock at yamaha aus but they are in the warehouse in japan so from the time of ordering it is about 10 working days
just in case you also wanted to know the speedo is rrp $933.97 and the part number is 4S8-83500-00

I've got a brandnew 07 speedo he can have for a fair price if he decides to go down the repair route:thumbup:.Sounds like its gunna be expensive though:(

I've got the bike back from the mechanics.
The bike is running now but the speedo was fried.
I dunno its me or what but the exhaust sound seemed a little different from before.

Glad to here the bike is up and running :thumbup:
Hopefully it's only your mind playing tricks on you with exhaust note...

Could there be some grit, mud etc in the muffler's wool?? That could probably change the exhaust note..

I've got a brandnew 07 speedo he can have for a fair price if he decides to go down the repair route:thumbup:.Sounds like its gunna be expensive though:(

Heres the pic you asked for...If you want to know why I have a brand new speedo,my high beam indicator light stoped working when the bike was still new.The dealer could'nt find the prob so they ordered a new speedo(warranty claim),a few days later I found a broken wire & when I reattached it the HB indicator light worked.When I informed the dealer he said its allready on its way from Japan & if I wanted it,its mine...Yes thanks :thumbup:You will need your back cover so dont chuck it out ok.

Last edited:
So, I have got a new speedo unit and installed it.
Everything is fine except the clock which stops when the bike is switched off and continues when the bike is switched back on.
Which means if I switched off the bike @ 3:30 on the clock, whatever time I turn it back on, its still 3:30.

Also, the engine seems jerky.
When the bike is warmed up, like above 81C when cursing on highway, the bike start jerking, especially when I release a bit of throttle.
The situation seemed to improve after I changed the engine oil but still exists.

So, I have got a new speedo unit and installed it.
Everything is fine except the clock which stops when the bike is switched off and continues when the bike is switched back on.
Which means if I switched off the bike @ 3:30 on the clock, whatever time I turn it back on, its still 3:30.

Also, the engine seems jerky.
When the bike is warmed up, like above 81C when cursing on highway, the bike start jerking, especially when I release a bit of throttle.
The situation seemed to improve after I changed the engine oil but still exists.

Glad its sorta working OK for you , the clock makes for a long day though ;) unless you always turn it off at 5pm then its beer o'clock all the time :D

I hope you find the jerking throttle solution , have you changed the TPS at all ?? That may just solve your problem :thumbup:

Could even be as simple as a loose chain or even still it could be in your head because of what its been through :don'tknow: stranger things have happened :D

After changing the engine oil a couple of times and taking the speedo healer and gear indicator off, the bike is still jerking.

Anyone could help me with this?
Thank you very much.

Back