My 1st bike is going to be a FZ6

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
FZ6 is my first bike too. Have logged 12,500 miles in a season and half.

One thing for sure the clutch release range is pretty narrow. Once you get used to it you won't even think about it. But at first I stalled it plenty of times in the street in front of my house.

Simple advice is to keep the revs low and this bike will perform in a very compliant, predictable way. But as you cross over 8k on the tach it becomes a very different bike... that's where the fun begins for some but as a beginner you want build low speed skills, cornering, braking and other things you just learned at MSF. And no worries here, you will find comfort in the upstairs rpm zone in due time..

ssmotorcycle

The Emmy Winning Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulation! You have bought one hell of a bike. I have put well over 3,000 miles on mine since last week of March. All kinds of riding.

The biggest single thing in my opinion is "GEAR UP". Proper jacket, gloves, helmet, etc. The old saying is, "If you think you have a $100 head, put it in a $100 helmet".

I'm with most of these guys, I have Pazzo clutch and brake levers and my clutch is smooth as silk.

Best of luck, and again, welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycles, the FZ6 and the Forum. Lots of good people on here with tons of knowledge!

Cheers

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Great first bike. I started out with the fz6 as well almost a year ago.

The most important thing is to develop a good feel for your machine.

Starting out riding I used to have a lot of trouble stalling out the bike when I was on an incline going from a total stop. Get a good feel for the clutch and throttle, do some of the drills you did in your msf class.

nksmfamjp

Reaction score
Visit site
Good choice. The other bikes mentioned would have been more forgiving and let you gain confidence a bit quicker, but the FZ is still very ridable under 6000 rpms. and wild above that!

The clutch is tricky at first because flywheel weight is low. Just preload your shifter and upshift as you are pulling it in. 1/3rd travel is enough on upshifts. On downshifts, boiling the throttle is required when letting it out. I tend to pull the clutch in more to ease throttle blipping. I hop this made sense. Also, above 2nd, it might be almost as easy to wor on clutchless shifting technique. If you preload the shifter, rollback the throttle a bit, shift with authority, the reapply throttle, that all feels smooth to me.

Wear gear and find a place to spend a few hour just getting smooth at taking off; fast, slow, into a turn quick. Get really good at this so it frees you to focus on the road and the cagers.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you so much to all of you guys for your tips.

But what makes the FZ6 a good 1st bike? Because I have also been recommended SV650, ER 6N or Ninja like.

To be brutally honest it isn't really a good first bike, for most people anyways...being it's brand new and you are forced to stay out of the top end makes it better but still alot of bike for somone new to riding. the Ergo's are great for a beginner and its low end is pretty tame... be conservative with your right hand and you'll be fine, remember look through corners and ATGATT!

Enjoy the bike!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also surprised by the bad clutch comments, my bike rides like a dream!

The way i see it, i've been on so many bikes that getting used to different clutches is a routine...to me there is no such thing as a "bad" clutch unless it's jumpy or worn out...every clutch is different :thumbup:

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you so much to all of you guys for your tips.

But what makes the FZ6 a good 1st bike? Because I have also been recommended SV650, ER 6N or Ninja like.

Simply because it is a damn good machine. Doesn`t matter if it is your first or tenth.

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all!

I am new rider, new to this forum, and tomorrow at 10:30 I'm picking up my very first bike.
Well, she is a FZ6 2009 black with 15 miles. I chose to name her "Black Mamba".

So here is why I'm posting: I have a knot and butterflies at the same time since I passed the Safety Course last Sunday. I can barely eat nor sleep... I feel like I want to jump constantly!!! It's just a mix of excitement and very new emotions.
Now, what should I know they did not talk about during this Safety Course? We were taught on Honda Rebel 250, so how to approach my new bike? besides going easy on the gas?

I am taking any advice, I am more that modest and willing to listen to experienced riders.

Thank you,

E/R

put crash bars and sliders on the fz. fully insure it, not liiability. check the tires, brakes, and oil every time you walk buy it.... to get on your $1100 rebel 250 (that you're going to buy on craigslist).

ride the rebel for a year. like 15,000 miles of riding. parking lots, dirt, gravel, hiways, tight spaces.

after 15,000 miles, and you're proficient with the MOST course, try the fz. do not rev it. do not downshift agresively. do not accelerate aggresively. it will hurt badly if you do.

i'm not kidding.

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is my first bike. I'm not sure how much training you've had but I was riding smaller bikes for about 10 years before I finally gave in to temptation and did my Big Bike licence here in Great Britain. The test and training here is a lot more stringent than it is in the US so new riders generally have a good deal more experience on the road. Be careful and take each ride as a continuation of your training, every rider is always learning. always Always ALWAYS do your lifesaver checks before switching lanes and always check over your shoulder before moving off at traffic lights and junctions.

As the previous posters have said, wear All the Gear All the Time. I find the FZ6 relatively docile up to around 8000revs and then it goes mental. I think the main thing you'll notice over the 250cc machine is the weight and the speed of the throttle response. The FZ6 will rev a hell of a lot more than the 250 for the same amount of throttle input.

The FZ6 handles really well but its also very forgiving as long as you respect the fact that it'll put 90mph under the wheels in second gear. Its great on fuel, it looks good, its about the quickest 600cc sport tourer on the road and it's reliable. Look after your bike and it'll look after you.

Above all, enjoy :D

+1 about the standards and bike licensing. in the US it's a freaking joke to get a motorcycle license, buy a 1000cc bike, and get insurance. you can literally (legally) go from dreaming of a bike to owning and legally riding one in a day.

no experience, no training, no respect or expectation of just how lethal these machines really are.

i'd really like to see a tiered licensing program adopted here. it ads a great deal of value and respect to a M endorsement on a license if you actually have some time and effort invested in it.

had my parents listened, a dirt bike would have satisfied me early in life, and taught valuable lessons. i'm learning much later, much older, and heal much slower... but maaaaaannnnnnn is it fun.

hise0001

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all!

I am new rider, new to this forum, and tomorrow at 10:30 I'm picking up my very first bike.
Well, she is a FZ6 2009 black with 15 miles. I chose to name her "Black Mamba".

So here is why I'm posting: I have a knot and butterflies at the same time since I passed the Safety Course last Sunday. I can barely eat nor sleep... I feel like I want to jump constantly!!! It's just a mix of excitement and very new emotions.
Now, what should I know they did not talk about during this Safety Course? We were taught on Honda Rebel 250, so how to approach my new bike? besides going easy on the gas?

I am taking any advice, I am more that modest and willing to listen to experienced riders.

Thank you,

E/R

Keep in mind wrist position... Start with a level wrist because, compared to a rebel, it only takes a downward flick of the wrist to be accelerating more than the rebel.

My MSF instructor had a story of a new rider coming leaving the DMV after get tax tags etc taken care of. He grabbed the throttle with an upward bend of the wrist (grabbing extra throttle). When the bike accelerated quickly, he lost his balance. As his body was going backward, that was more twist on the throttle and it really took off... right into a parked car. Fortunately he fell off before the bike hit the car.

Keep your shift points at 5K-6K rpms and you should be good to go.

Have fun... Need to see pictures!