My 1st bike is going to be a FZ6

Eazy_Ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all!

I am new rider, new to this forum, and tomorrow at 10:30 I'm picking up my very first bike.
Well, she is a FZ6 2009 black with 15 miles. I chose to name her "Black Mamba".

So here is why I'm posting: I have a knot and butterflies at the same time since I passed the Safety Course last Sunday. I can barely eat nor sleep... I feel like I want to jump constantly!!! It's just a mix of excitement and very new emotions.
Now, what should I know they did not talk about during this Safety Course? We were taught on Honda Rebel 250, so how to approach my new bike? besides going easy on the gas?

I am taking any advice, I am more that modest and willing to listen to experienced riders.

Thank you,

E/R

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!

Congrats on the new bike - no wonder you're excited - it's a Fizzer :rockon:

Advice? Respect your bike. 250, 600, 1000 - doesn't matter what size it is, respect it. When you're riding with others, don't ride to their abilities, ride to your own. Have confidence but don't be think you're a bike racer. ATGATT.

Most of all

ENJOY IT :rockon:

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
Have fun on the new bike. There is a considerable power difference from a 250 to a 600. Don't be afraid of it but be mindful of it. The FZ6 in my opinion is a very smooth and easy bike to ride. Congratulations and post some pics, and welcome to the forum!:welcome:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Practice using the clutch before you hit traffic or hills, the FZ6 clutch is a little grabby especially when new.

Remember not only are you learning a new bike but your bike needs to be broken in still. This is good neither you or your bike are ready to visit the top end yet.

Oh and resist trying to show off, although youtube likes this behavior you don't want to be the guy every is talking about.

ice

Reaction score
Visit site
Ha, we all know that feeling

You have chosen a good bike.
Take your time and learn your machine. It will probably take six months to really get use to it.
Don`t ride too fast especially going into curves.
Ride safe and live to ride another day.
Congratulations on your new bike.

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Ha, we all know that feeling

Congrats. And as you named your bike just be careful stay a rider not a statistic be easy to her and dont let her bite you. Bikes are not sophisticated they only do what the
You tell them

Last edited:

Eazy_Ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you so much to all of you guys for your tips.

But what makes the FZ6 a good 1st bike? Because I have also been recommended SV650, ER 6N or Ninja like.

rger8

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats!!!

As other people said, go practice and get a good feel for how it brakes, throttle control and general overall feel. I think the FZ6 is kinda of a tricky bike to ride, but I am coming off a GS 500, truly mellow. It's all kinda relative!

Initially I found the FZ to be a bit overwhleming and even after 2 month's I have learned to respect it. Just take your time and ride at your own pace.

Good luck and have fun, I really like mine!:D

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
congrats and gear up stay safe...as for some advice, always look through the turns, to forsee danger-rocks, dirt, sand, deer, etc. try to keep your bike off the paint in turns, its always better to lay the bike down instead of hitting something, learn the ins and outs of the bike, if you think something is a bad idea it prolly is, and mainly just use commen sense

ChurchWVU

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought mine a few weeks back. It is really easy to ride, but definetly practice the clutch on the FZ6 before you take it on the roads. I've never ridden a bike with a clutch this bad. I've gotten used to it, and I love the bike, but I absolutely hate the clutch.

mrphotoman

Massive Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is weird, I think the clutch is really good on mine. I think this is one of the easiest bikes to ride that I have ever owned.

Back on the frame sliders, a small investment of $20 or so will go a long way to protect your fairings from damage if you happen to drop the bike. It is a hard thing to look at a new bike with damage from a drop.

Ross63

Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 is my first bike. I'm not sure how much training you've had but I was riding smaller bikes for about 10 years before I finally gave in to temptation and did my Big Bike licence here in Great Britain. The test and training here is a lot more stringent than it is in the US so new riders generally have a good deal more experience on the road. Be careful and take each ride as a continuation of your training, every rider is always learning. always Always ALWAYS do your lifesaver checks before switching lanes and always check over your shoulder before moving off at traffic lights and junctions.

As the previous posters have said, wear All the Gear All the Time. I find the FZ6 relatively docile up to around 8000revs and then it goes mental. I think the main thing you'll notice over the 250cc machine is the weight and the speed of the throttle response. The FZ6 will rev a hell of a lot more than the 250 for the same amount of throttle input.

The FZ6 handles really well but its also very forgiving as long as you respect the fact that it'll put 90mph under the wheels in second gear. Its great on fuel, it looks good, its about the quickest 600cc sport tourer on the road and it's reliable. Look after your bike and it'll look after you.

Above all, enjoy :D

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought mine a few weeks back. It is really easy to ride, but definetly practice the clutch on the FZ6 before you take it on the roads. I've never ridden a bike with a clutch this bad. I've gotten used to it, and I love the bike, but I absolutely hate the clutch.

I'm also surprised by the bad clutch comments, my bike rides like a dream!

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
Thank you so much to all of you guys for your tips.

But what makes the FZ6 a good 1st bike? Because I have also been recommended SV650, ER 6N or Ninja like.

This is just me but the SV, ER and ninja 650 may be a better beginner bike and for most people just a better bike. They have more low end torque and a smoother power delivery through the rpm range. I also think they are not quite the quality of the FZ6S.

Now once you get use to cruising at 5 or 6k and don't mind winding it it out past 10k + your going to see what the bike can really do. And this can be a lot of fun. But in everyday driving I would trade 5hp at the top for a extra 5 at the bottom.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From the training courses at very low speeds, be wise about brake proportioning as minor changes in road surface can easily lead to rear wheel skid if too much rear brake is applied.

When hard on the front, let up on the back!

Enjoy and don't forget the pre-ride inspection every time you get on the bike!

Ross63

Reaction score
Visit site
This is just me but the SV, ER and ninja 650 may be a better beginner bike and for most people just a better bike. They have more low end torque and a smoother power delivery through the rpm range. I also think they are not quite the quality of the FZ6S.

Now once you get use to cruising at 5 or 6k and don't mind winding it it out past 10k + your going to see what the bike can really do. And this can be a lot of fun. But in everyday driving I would trade 5hp at the top for a extra 5 at the bottom.

The only bike in the above list that holds a candle to the FZ6 is the Ninja. The SV is entertaining with its typical twin low down grunt but it runs out of steam long before the FZ. The ER-6 is down on power throughout the rev range and build quality is not on par with the FZ6. You'll out-grow the SV and the ER-6 long before you'll be bored with the FZ. The Ninja is just too much hard work, its entertaining but the riding position is nowhere near as comfy as the others. I tried all of these bikes and more before going for the FZ6S.

The only other bike that gave the Fazer a run for its money was the Honda CB600F Hornet, I chose the FZ6 over this because I found the riding position and wind protection to be much better on my Fazer.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Practice riding the bike in a parking lot for hours, getting use to the clutch, but also your quick stops and swerving, slow ride, tight turns, etc. then work your way onto surface streets around your neighborhood. You need to develop new muscle memory getting use to the new bike, it ain't no Rebel. I know because I ride the Rebel too.

Most importantly, have fun!