Must Read! Can Save Your Life!

hammerheadshadow

Reaction score
Visit site
Basically some good and sound Q&A from an expert (not me, not yet :). This is a must for the new riders especially. (I am scratching my head thinking how you guys gonna manage on FZ6-it is really NOT a beginner's bike in my humble opinion). If you have never ridden before and already got a FZ6 then I'll say that YOU WOULD BE A LOT BETTER OFF ON A USED 250 ninja or used 500 Suzuki GSF which are still pretty wicked bikes for what they can do for the money. So I would park FZ6(it is just too precious to be mistreated and dropped :) and go learn (and abuse) more manageable bikes for about 6 months and/or 5000 miles minimum. Then roll the FZ6 out. FZ6 is positioned as beginner's bike, but it is truly NOT. Anyhow this is WHAT CAN REALLY MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE AND SAVE YOUR LIFE ONE DAY! Read them all and remember them well. This guy knows his stuff.

Motorcycle Safety Site

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, great articles. Even experienced riders may gain something from reading some of them. I read a few, but bookmarked that page and will read a few articles daily.

koolfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Basically some good and sound Q&A from an expert (not me, not yet :). This is a must for the new riders especially. (I am scratching my head thinking how you guys gonna manage on FZ6-it is really NOT a beginner's bike in my humble opinion). If you have never ridden before and already got a FZ6 then I'll say that YOU WOULD BE A LOT BETTER OFF ON A USED 250 ninja or used 500 Suzuki GSF which are still pretty wicked bikes for what they can do for the money. So I would park FZ6(it is just too precious to be mistreated and dropped :) and go learn (and abuse) more manageable bikes for about 6 months and/or 5000 miles minimum. Then roll the FZ6 out. FZ6 is positioned as beginner's bike, but it is truly NOT. Anyhow this is WHAT CAN REALLY MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE AND SAVE YOUR LIFE ONE DAY! Read them all and remember them well. This guy knows his stuff.

Motorcycle Safety Site

I have to disagree with that. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. However, haveing taken the motorcycle course and passing with flying colors, i believe that the FZ6 is a good bike to start out with. Only the rider is stupid for getting on a bike that they are not capable of riding or ready to ride. Now, i am not saying that what you are saying is wrong, but i strongly believe that some people are better on a 250 or so. Others are better on a 600 or so as a first bike. R1's, Ninjas 600 or higher, etc are not for beginners by far. Too much power.

Basicly what i am saying is that you should ask to demo the bike around a parking lot, or dead end street to make sure you are ready to handle a bike of any size. Make sure it fits right with you. Can you reach the handle bars, is the seat comfortable, etc. Make sure you are prepared to ride, practice with the bike in a large parking lot, know where everything on the bike is before you start to ride.

Good luck and have fun

D

Deleted member 2349

although I have very little experience, I took the BRC with nighthawk 250's. My first experience on a bike and I ended up being the class "leader" so to speak. Every evolution i lead out for the class. Now i did not pass without any mistakes(one actually, slowing in a turn). But being confident enough to throw my weight around(280 or so at the time) made me feel like the bike had little left. I can see your point about dropping a more coslty bike, and agree. Thats why i bought a used FZ6...My first time on the street with the FZ6 I took it easy. But still told myself try a U turn(something i never really got comfortable with) but managed on a slight hill even. I think its a matter of letting yourself be mature about what you are riding. And most of all growing into the bike. I admit if i had gotten into riding 7 years ago I would probably still be in traction. I still may lug the engine a little, but i'll grow into the revvs too.

rider1a

Reaction score
Visit site
What's the reason an FZ6 isn't a good starting bike?

I think the bike can be a good starter bike for most males and women who did fairly well at the MSF class. The reason is the bike is light, nimble and forgiving in size. When the bike is ridden at the low RPM range it is very tame and some could argue a little lethargic until the RPM's get above 6-7,000, so the novice can modestly feather the throttle without the strong surge associated with other sport bikes.

If I had a little lady getting into riding a little advice, I think the Ninja 250 is one of the best starter bikes out there. In Europe they use a graduated CC system, so the 250 cc is a decent way to start without too many surprises.

Bob

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for that link, I have bookmarked that baby! No matter how experienced you are, there is always room for improvement, if not improvement then alternative ways of riding.. variety is the spice of life ;)

hammerheadshadow

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow what a feedback. I will dig up some of my own virtues about motorcycling pretty soon.
NOW the question why FZ6 is NOT a good starting bike? Because it simply is NOT. Engine is based on R6 from 2000-2001. Weight is 413 lbs dry. 0-60 in like 3.7 seconds. Now keep balance, watch heavy city traffic with speeds of up to 80-90 mph on highways in TX, maneuver, control your lanes while you are in a tight formation, don't lock up brakes and don't crack throttle open. All of that on the first ride after MSF bullcrap where you are crawling in controlled environment. Also be ready to dodge cagers and do emergency stops here in TX too. And I mean 80 mph to 0 where your back is skidding. (Well let brakes go and reapply again) So if you can manage all that on the first ride (if you are truly gifted) then sure be my guest. But most people just cant do that. So why not stay alive and uninjured? Beginner did get on my bike once. He took MSF course. Dropped it like three times right away. That was it for me though. So why not use 2K on the first bike, 250 cc. learn slowly take your time build up your weaknesses until they become strengths, stay alive, sell the first bike after say a year or two and move on to FZ6? What is wrong with that? See a bike with 600 racing power plant can show true colors to you once you hit a bit of gravel in the turn and being beginner will start holding on to the bars for your dear life which will gun the throttle. You will low side at that point. So buy a used GSF500 it looks just like GSXR1000, trust me cagers don't know jack about the difference. Most friends would not know too. Still can be a beginner squid on it though. But even 500 is dangerous. It really is with 0-60 mph in about 5 sec. But that still will be a lot better choice than brutal power of 600 cc. So it is skill and experience here that are truly life saving concepts-that what you need from the first bike, not looks and enviable admiration from friends. You dont just start driving a ferrari for a first ride after you get your license at 16 do you? Well FZ6 is as fast as Ferrari but it is still a motorcycle. So bottom line is you need to be in one piece once you progress to average motorcycle skills. Then get on 600. It is for your own good. I ve seen some begginers gunning up for a Busas and ZX14 saying they can handle them without a hiccup. Well amateurish (begginer's ) self confidence is ALWAYS a subject of professionals jealousy. :Sport: