Mt Hamilton, A pleasure ride!! Thought I would share:)

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
Just took a short ride to Mt Hamilton. I thought I would share a few pics I took. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride!:rockon:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pics. I think I might hit route 130 this weekend. What's it like? Tight? Fast? Smooth? Lined with guardrails and driveways?

Thanks

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the pics. I think I might hit route 130 this weekend. What's it like? Tight? Fast? Smooth? Lined with guardrails and driveways?

Thanks

If you are starting from San Jose, I would say the initial 7-8 miles is such a pleasure beautiful road ...you will love it. But after that the road gets a little rough..I mean its not dirt..but its little bumpy I would say...but you will love the twisties to the core..As you start closer to Lick observatory road starts to get very tight at times..But as I said its a true pleasure riding there. Let me remind you though as you get closer to Lick observatory you will see road getting very tight but surprisingly with no gaurdrails at all!!!! CAREFUL:Flash: I live at Alum rock and this 130 is abt one miles from my house. Its this close and I love this ride as always.
I hope you will enjoy your ride too. you will love to view of the San Jose from there.. I mean it.
Ride safe!!!!!!!!
KB

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done that ride a couple of times. Nice! I always take it real slow. The turns are so tight and the road narrow, that you never known when a cager may be straying over the center line.

You can do a ~130 loop if you start in San Jose, go up to Mt Hamilton, and continue north from there to Livermore, returning to SJC via the 680. The ride north of Mt Hamilton is even nicer, but the last 10 miles into Livermore suck bad. The roads are off camber and have dirt all over them. I'm not used to those conditions, so it rattled me big time with rear wheel feeling loose, and I'm not up to do it again (probably better going uphill the opposite direction). Half way between Mt Hamilton and Livermore is a funky old bar where there are about 100 HDs hanging out when it's summer.

Last time I did that ride, I met a couple of guys at Lick Observatory, on a Goldwing and a monster HD tourer. Those guys were GOOD riders! They could ride those things through the tight twisties faster than I could.

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done that ride a couple of times. Nice! I always take it real slow. The turns are so tight and the road narrow, that you never known when a cager may be straying over the center line.

You can do a ~130 loop if you start in San Jose, go up to Mt Hamilton, and continue north from there to Livermore, returning to SJC via the 680. The ride north of Mt Hamilton is even nicer, but the last 10 miles into Livermore suck bad. The roads are off camber and have dirt all over them. I'm not used to those conditions, so it rattled me big time with rear wheel feeling loose, and I'm not up to do it again (probably better going uphill the opposite direction). Half way between Mt Hamilton and Livermore is a funky old bar where there are about 100 HDs hanging out when it's summer.

Last time I did that ride, I met a couple of guys at Lick Observatory, on a Goldwing and a monster HD tourer. Those guys were GOOD riders! They could ride those things through the tight twisties faster than I could.

You are so right. I met 2 guys who were riding kawa Zx6 today(looked like 2009's) They looked like really good riders too. One HD passed from the opposite direction too..damn he wwas riding it fast though(I felt)
KB